All Things 288XP

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
12:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So other than shelling out the ridiculous coin to buy a high top; how do you guys keep fines out of your low top 288's? Ran mine a lot today and was surprised by how many fines were making it into the carb.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So other than shelling out the ridiculous coin to buy a high top; how do you guys keep fines out of your low top 288's? Ran mine a lot today and was surprised by how many fines were making it into the carb.
You running the flocked filter? K an N filter oil, clean filter first then spray it good. Works great and doesn't restrict the airflow. Make sure the rubber gasket under filter is there too.

Last edited:

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The Outerwear prefilter for the hd2 filters fits on the 288 k&n filter perfect

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You running the flocked filter? K an N filter oil, clean filter first then spray it good. Works great and doesn't restrict the airflow. Make sure the rubber gasket under filter is there too.

THIS!!! ^^^ Can't tell you how many are missing. Also, I like the nylon mesh filter with K&N oil.

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey josh. Even with the HD setup fines will make it through. The bark on dead doulas fir will go thru anything. The guy at the saw shop told me to clean the filter with saw gas. The oil should catch a lot of it. I would imagine it would work on a low top filter also. Couldnt hurt to try. If not that then maybe filter oil like k&n or belray.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the nylon mesh filter and the fines are getting through at the seam between the filter and carb elbow. My elbow has a normal gasket on it; it's supposed to be rubber? If so , that would explain why it's not sealing very good. I thought about putting some grease on the flange to catch the fines. Anybody ever try that? I'll also spray the filter with K&N oil. Thanks for the replies gents.

On positive note, after running a few tanks through my saw it has gained some noticeable attitude. Dang I love that 288!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the nylon mesh filter and the fines are getting through at the seam between the filter and carb elbow. My elbow has a normal gasket on it; it's supposed to be rubber? If so , that would explain why it's not sealing very good. I thought about putting some grease on the flange to catch the fines. Anybody ever try that? I'll also spray the filter with K&N oil. Thanks for the replies gents.

On positive note, after running a few tanks through my saw it has gained some noticeable attitude. Dang I love that 288!
Definately supposed to be rubber I believe. My jonsered 930 was rubber gasket between filter elbow and filter, and that was one of the very few parts it shares with 288.

Toad22t

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Quick question who would prefer to keep a 181se/281xp/288xp over a 372xp if you wern't cutting for a living and had a tidy 262xp nearly done as the prospective go to saw???

Or am I an idiot???? I love a 1 series/2 series...

I have had 2 181's, a 281 and 2 288's, one of the 288's was ported by @rattler. I also had a 371 ported by Mike, a KS hda87 262 by mofo and a 254 by @Termitebuffet. All have been replaced by a 562 that rattler did for me. So 562 FTW.

That's darn near the perfect 3 saw plan to me.......

The 372 has so many great things about it that it probably is the cream of the three, but although I could build myself a killer 372 at any time.....My two main saws are a ported 254xp and a 181 that's also ported.....They cover everything I cut and the 181 is usually wearing a 34" bar.

I've never ran a 262, but they certainly have a following......I got my 254 with a scored top end and ported it when I built it, so never experienced it stock....It's an absolute animal though in it's present form. I still shake my head at all the power it has in such a light package...I just put an HDA-87 from a 262 on it actually.

rattler

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure about that one slinger but I tink I remember someone doing the swap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not sure about that one slinger but I tink I remember someone doing the swap.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
I thought I remembered reading that somewhere too just can't recall where or when. Hmmmmm