High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

All Things 288XP

Charlie pendleton

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve been curious about that myself, not a dumb question at all. Does the 1 piece fit the outer recess of the pump housing? The 262 family of saws don’t interchange, dust seal recess is different size between gear and drum drive oil pumps. So with them you need to swap everything over to convert. Wonder if the 288 is the same.
If the shiny steel insert were removed from the face of the pump housing the drum syle would fit. Probably not worth the risk if damaging the pump housing, too bad though because i think the drum probably seals up better looking at the design, plus they are available everywhere.

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No one has a top cover in stock. But, that's OK. The thing about living in Ireland is you have to find a way to make stuff work. It's expensive bringing stuff in, and there's precious little about to make life easy. So I went and opened the hole up a touch more with a dremel so the crack might not grow larger in the future, grabbed a rubber grommet and some super glue and went to work:

168954073.x8VB926Q.288_grommet.jpg

The Trick in Stopping a Crack from migrating is to drill a stop hole, usually a 3/32" - 3/16" hole. The Bigger the better in high flex / Vibration area and after drilling the whole you can put RTV to somewhat hide it, find the Very farthest point in the crack, Center the drill bit With the Back side of the drill radius touching the crack and it Shouldn't migrate any farther after that, and for the top cover I'd probably Not go smaller than 1/8", I have No idea what that is in Non Imperial mm size, America
Bud
P.S. If possible, Glue, rivet, RTV, anything to the Backside to Distribute the Stress over a wider area and minimize stress / Flexing that caused the Crack in the first place. The More Surface area, The Better. And you can be Very Creative in backing material. Just make Sure that it can Handle the Environment of sed Material, for low heat environment I've even RTV'ed old jean material, aluminum sheat metal ( I would put a few holes in it towards the edges for extra hold ) even leather. The slow cure JB weld works well, if it adheres to the material, I would avoid Any 5-10-15 minute epoxy
( Low Adhesion)...

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had the same thing happen to a 288. It would die at idle and start right up. Crimp both ends of the red wire, between the coils, to tighten them up. That fixed my problem. The rough idle they have would cause the loose wire end to bounce around and loose spark.

If the ground wire comes undone or too loose, will these things still start(just not stop)? I found a ground wire kept coming loose as well.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
5:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the ground wire comes undone or too loose, will these things still start(just not stop)? I found a ground wire kept coming loose as well.
Yep. Had a similar problem with mine over the winter. Tightened up the connection and all is well now.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep. Had a similar problem with mine over the winter. Tightened up the connection and all is well now.
OK, so the secondary coil on top the chassis doesn't need to be grounded? I recall originally this thing had a relay cut off and went all the way to the coil from the switch. I assume it grounds at the plug then.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK, so the secondary coil on top the chassis doesn't need to be grounded? I recall originally this thing had a relay cut off and went all the way to the coil from the switch. I assume it grounds at the plug then.
Grounds through its mount screw I think, gotta look at it

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grounds through its mount screw I think, gotta look at it

I'm beginning to suspect I simply have yet another bad secondary coil. The wires are good far as I can tell, and I've used multiple plugs. No spark. Ugh. Anyone want a 288 chassis cheap in Ireland. This thing has been nothing but trouble.

decableguy2000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
288 will not start all of a sudden. No spark. checked the usual suspects, wires, plug, switch. How do you determine weather it is the module or the coil?

Last edited:

Adamski

Plebus Splederns
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm beginning to suspect I simply have yet another bad secondary coil. The wires are good far as I can tell, and I've used multiple plugs. No spark. Ugh. Anyone want a 288 chassis cheap in Ireland. This thing has been nothing but trouble.

What about in the uk???

Daserlon

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:19 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My experiance is with loose ends on the red wire. The one that goes between the coils.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Take my advice and try the coil first.

You mean the one in the carb box, right?

I was getting intermittent spark, which seemed to be due to a short caused by a worn wire when someone on the estate removed the starter cover to clean it out and put it back in place on top of the wire. Then found out the carb was bad as well. All the wiring is solid now. Was very difficult to push on the clips(we call em push-ins here). SO the connection is fine. Also added a new plug. Other than the coil, the only thing I can think is maybe I am using too heavy duty a wire as it is 16awg out of a hoover. I hear the pick up at the flywheel doesn't ever go bad, tho?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You mean the one in the carb box, right?

I was getting intermittent spark, which seemed to be due to a short caused by a worn wire when someone on the estate removed the starter cover to clean it out and put it back in place on top of the wire. Then found out the carb was bad as well. All the wiring is solid now. Was very difficult to push on the clips(we call em push-ins here). SO the connection is fine. Also added a new plug. Other than the coil, the only thing I can think is maybe I am using too heavy duty a wire as it is 16awg out of a hoover. I hear the pick up at the flywheel doesn't ever go bad, tho?
Wish you were stateside, I’d send you a set of coils I have sitting on my shelf. If it were me I’d replace both coils and go have fun.

mikerudder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up my first 288 today.

Starting to go through it. Looks to be some light scoring on the piston.

Tank has a JB weld fix. Going to tear it down and see how bad the damage it.

She’s a little rough. Needs a clutch cover with chain brake, air filter, piston and rings (hoping I can make the cylinder work) and I’m sure a few other things, probably seals and bearings (as long as the cases aren’t trashed from the JB weld)

Any pointers before I start?

FCB8DA33-E081-4C41-8F30-49814011117C.jpeg B434D6E1-C698-40A8-8A4A-56B500BAA364.jpeg 1A0B3729-A358-4CAC-8CB1-404C4242D677.jpeg

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up my first 288 today.

Starting to go through it. Looks to be some light scoring on the piston.

Tank has a JB weld fix. Going to tear it down and see how bad the damage it.

She’s a little rough. Needs a clutch cover with chain brake, air filter, piston and rings (hoping I can make the cylinder work) and I’m sure a few other things, probably seals and bearings (as long as the cases aren’t trashed from the JB weld)

Any pointers before I start?

View attachment 176686 View attachment 176687 View attachment 176688
They're super easy to work on. That filter will probably clean up with some warm water and dish soap, maybe a little tooth brush action.

Did you get the top cover with it?

mikerudder

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They're super easy to work on. That filter will probably clean up with some warm water and dish soap, maybe a little tooth brush action.

Did you get the top cover with it?
Yep has the top cover. Just missing the screws.
The air filter looks pretty dingy and banged up. Will try and clean it up and see what you guys think.