All Things 288XP

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for posting. Like you said they couldn’t have held up very well so were a short lived part. Polish it up and slap it on a saw, all the PSP’s will be jealous lol

actually i meant they other way round, maybe they held up too good and affected sales. think about it, manuacturers want their stuffs to break down so they can sell more

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
4:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
actually i meant they other way round, maybe they held up too good and affected sales. think about it, manuacturers want their stuffs to break down so they can sell more
As beat up as steal mufflers get I doubt the aluminum would hold up better. Just a guess though. Could’ve simply been production cost too. Cheaper to stamp steal than it is to cast aluminum. Either way, that’s definitely a cool piece.

NightRogue

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
As beat up as steal mufflers get I doubt the aluminum would hold up better. Just a guess though. Could’ve simply been production cost too. Cheaper to stamp steal than it is to cast aluminum. Either way, that’s definitely a cool piece.

its pretty thick and weighs quite abit, i think the production cost would have been a reason for them not making anymore

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
its pretty thick and weighs quite abit, i think the production cost would have been a reason for them not making anymore

It's not like a motorcycle muffler where you can just use a thin roll of aluminum tube and place end caps on it, reinforced with an inner tube and bracing. You could easily extrude it, but it will then have to be welded or roll crimped. Roll crimping an odd shaped piece of Al will also increase stress risers more so than mild steel, especially mild stainless. Chainsaw mufflers are formed in to more elaborate shapes which often, if not nearly always, have flanges for securing. As anyone whom has had a motorcycle can tell you, the flange on their aluminum exhaust is often the first thing to let go. And if AL takes damage, unless it is thickly cast as you see in the previous example, it will usually fail shortly thereafter if not altogether. If you simply do the old Stihl trick of fastening it to itself, you then need to make the AL strong enough to take the tension placed upon it, and solid enough to retain screws - which means it goes back to being heavy again, or an expensive version of AL like a 6K/61S, series AKA 'aircraft quality'. Versus this, 316 or 304 stainless cost nearly nothing, and you can beat hell out of, tension to hell, and bend the bajeezis out of it, and it stays in one piece, and takes forever to corrode even in a hot and humid environment.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just a quick vid of my saws first start.
It’s tuned rich in the vid and tached at 13500.
I took it to 14000 and it sound real nice, like make the hairs stand up on your arms nice

Going to be an interesting comparison. I think the 064 has an edge with its longer stroke. We shall see I guess.

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
6:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going to be an interesting comparison. I think the 064 has an edge with its longer stroke. We shall see I guess.
Yeah I don't put a lot of faith in 2mm of stroke.
both saws tune to around 14K
Both saws are ported to how I think they will run best as a work saw.

A good friend has told me he has a big 1 meter ironbark to fell soon so we plan to drop it and use it to test these saws under a lot of load

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I don't put a lot of faith in 2mm of stroke.
both saws tune to around 14K
Both saws are ported to how I think they will run best as a work saw.

A good friend has told me he has a big 1 meter ironbark to fell soon so we plan to drop it and use it to test these saws under a lot of load
Long bar test...hell yeah! That’s how its done.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s been a while but I finally got the pictures of the muffler I said I would earlier.
E1FEFF58-D23B-4F2E-B174-0BD1D56F4139.jpeg 58ECEE96-4D01-41D4-909F-4DFDBBF4FC0F.jpeg 0E8EE29E-DE97-4509-B21B-95D100C96416.jpeg

I put a 24” bar on it since the 32” was way to long for the pile I’ve been cutting on, 24” Stihl round filed full chisel on it and I’m quite pleased! Need to lean it out a tad had to lean on it to get it to stop 4 stroking in 22” burr oak.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 288 looks a lot tougher with the hi top imho. The high top saws look like a flexing bicep lol.