All Things 288XP

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
12:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just about got a 288XP build complete. Crank up build.
later model high top saw with a really good Mahle cylinder, measured 102/122/75 no gasket and .010 squish.
I have ported it but left the port timing as is, just set squish at .020.
Carb venturi got opened up a touch and the throttle rods thinned.
Full rewire, I have just ordered a new complete OEM pull start assembly and air filter. I just need to do the muffler tomorrow and wait on the parts.

IMG_8444.JPG

IMG_8445.JPG

IMG_8451.JPG

IMG_8458.JPG

IMG_8459.JPG

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut that flap out of mine and installed the deflector facing forward. It’s louder so it must have more power...lol!

Nice looking 288 Tony.

Yeah the flap will go, no question there.
New higher flow screen.
Has anyone ever tested the difference in cut speed with the deflector facing in, and out?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
9:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New higher flow screen.
Has anyone ever tested the difference in cut speed with the deflector facing in, and out?
I haven’t tested that. I wonder if a big hole under that giant deflector would gain???? Next time I’m goofing around with my 288 I’m going to try that with a spare muffler I have sitting in a box.

kfd518

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven’t tested that. I wonder if a big hole under that giant deflector would gain???? Next time I’m goofing around with my 288 I’m going to try that with a spare muffler I have sitting in a box.

That is pretty much what mine has except that I extended the deflector forward.5FBACD02-56B6-4B31-B41C-954EB4FC23FF.jpeg
I didn’t have anything to compare it to before though as this saw needed a new piston when I got it I’ll try to get a shot of the hole in the side later.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New higher flow screen.

I haven't done the reverse vs forward cover specifically with a 288, but with the dozens of muff mods I have done, I've noticed the closer the opening is to the exhaust port, usually the more effective it is. Prolly sumfin to do with exhaust impulse and velocity on a non-tuned 2 stroke exhaust. Loud, tho.

Brewz

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't done the reverse vs forward cover specifically with a 288, but with the dozens of muff mods I have done, I've noticed the closer the opening is to the exhaust port, usually the more effective it is. Prolly sumfin to do with exhaust impulse and velocity on a non-tuned 2 stroke exhaust. Loud, tho.

Yeah I’m not such a fan of low restriction openings right at the front of the muffler.
I prefer openings back closer to the cylinder which flow well to drain pressure over tbe entire cycle but provide better backpressure as the transfers open to help loop scavenging and prevent short circuiting of transfer flow to the muffler

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I’m not such a fan of low restriction openings right at the front of the muffler.
I prefer openings back closer to the cylinder which flow well to drain pressure over tbe entire cycle but provide better backpressure as the transfers open to help loop scavenging and prevent short circuiting of transfer flow to the muffler

But what about dis?

IMG_1979_zpsc3416dd7.jpg IMG_1980_zpse27e1a15.jpg

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got a little spurt of ambition tonight and put the piston in my 288 to check some numbers. With no base gasket I only have .015" squish, so I will have to use a thin gasket of some sort. As it sits with no gasket, my timing number are:

100 exhaust
126 transfers
73 intake

I'm thinking of taking a little off the piston skirt to get a little more intake duration. What would you guys do?

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I got a little spurt of ambition tonight and put the piston in my 288 to check some numbers. With no base gasket I only have .015" squish, so I will have to use a thin gasket of some sort. As it sits with no gasket, my timing number are:

100 exhaust
126 transfers
73 intake

I'm thinking of taking a little off the piston skirt to get a little more intake duration. What would you guys do?
I would give it more intake as well. Did you raise your exhaust?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

100 exhaust
126 transfers
73 intake

More intake duration and less blowdown.

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would give it more intake as well. Did you raise your exhaust?
I haven't touched anything yet. Once I get a thin gasket cut I will recheck my numbers and go from there. I am not going to do a lot of grinding on this cylinder as it's my only 288 and likely I will never get another one. Having said that, per your and srcarr's advice, I am leaning towards raising the transfers a bit, smoothing and port matching the intake, and trimming the piston skirt to get a little better performance. I have already modded the muffler and I have a bigger carb here that I can install as well.

I want to keep the saw fairly close to stock for resale purposes. Around here, a modified saw is worth less than a stock saw.