stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience with the Gamo Varmint air rifle?

Have some issues with local squirrels.

I don't know the model of Gamo that I have. It is a break barrel 1000fps .177 with a BSA .22 scope. It's very accurate. I shoot red squirrels, racoons and a porcupine. The porky I shot in the throat. It does what I need it to, without making the neighbors *s-word themselves. Handling it is like handling a .22.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not a PCP but i have an RWS 48. Side lever springer. Big heavy and accurate with good trigger. Not the rifle if you have a hard time cocking an air rifle.
I have RWS 48's in .177 and .25. I agree, they are hard to cock but have a good trigger and shoot well.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The RWS 48/52/56 are pretty heavy - the bain of springers. Takes a bunch of practice to shoot springers accurately repeatedly due to the reverse recoil. Which also has a habit of destroying cheap scopes. I have a Gamo bone something or other that works pretty well, for a break barrel unit. Although I prefer either the side lever cocking or the under lever cocking systems as the break barrel units tend to loosen up at the barrel pivot point down the road, which messes with point of aim. Course they cost more. Loved the RWS 48 I had but a buddy just had to have it so we swapped. I have several PCP units. For pure utility, grab and go, can,t really beat a springer. Gamo ( spanish ) is a big outfit and now own Crossman and whatever other brands Crossman had. Overall the Starlings , Grackles, & Striped gophers are not fond of it using 10 grain .177 pellets ( 4.7mm/ .17 cal). I would perfer 5mm ( .20) caliber but that is a lot like 16ga shotguns.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
5:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
RWS 350 Magnum in .177 here...cannot tell you how many four-legged things have seen the wrong end of the crosshairs. Dead nuts accurate and has been that way for four years or better. Beeman pellets (Crow Magnum's) have always shot and grouped better than RWS Diana pellets and most others I've shot through it.

Last edited:

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandfather and I both had Benjamin's to shoot in his backyard. Mine is only about 60 years old and still shoots well. Chipmunks, squirrels hate it, even shot a mouse off of computer, used two pumps. 10 pumps will do the rest. 22cal, iron sites and accurate. Can't imagine what is available today.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The RWS 48/52/56 are pretty heavy - the bain of springers. Takes a bunch of practice to shoot springers accurately repeatedly due to the reverse recoil. Which also has a habit of destroying cheap scopes. I have a Gamo bone something or other that works pretty well, for a break barrel unit. Although I prefer either the side lever cocking or the under lever cocking systems as the break barrel units tend to loosen up at the barrel pivot point down the road, which messes with point of aim. Course they cost more. Loved the RWS 48 I had but a buddy just had to have it so we swapped. I have several PCP units. For pure utility, grab and go, can,t really beat a springer. Gamo ( spanish ) is a big outfit and now own Crossman and whatever other brands Crossman had. Overall the Starlings , Grackles, & Striped gophers are not fond of it using 10 grain .177 pellets ( 4.7mm/ .17 cal). I would perfer 5mm ( .20) caliber but that is a lot like 16ga shotguns.
Which pcp guns do you have? Or maybe a less intrusive question would be: out of the bunch which one do you like the best?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nimble and fast handling Falcon, Annie 2025 and a Walther in the same ft pound class, couple air arms 400 series, Logun ( very accurate in .22 but a pain to load as it is a bolt action repeater . the pellets load one behind each other so common shaped wad cutters do not work well in it.) . Had one of the pcp units from McMuray in Kalifornia- sold it as I wasn't able to get the bench rest accuracy out of it I needed at the time. I do not know if he is even making those anymore. The Walther and the Annie were superior in that venue. Got a hankering for the Texan in 45or50 but I want that small compressor from Airtex first. I have an old converted Miltary one - 3000 psi @1cfm/min at present. I know the airtex is an import from ? but there is the support there that is lacking in a lot of the others.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nimble and fast handling Falcon, Annie 2025 and a Walther in the same ft pound class, couple air arms 400 series, Logun ( very accurate in .22 but a pain to load as it is a bolt action repeater . the pellets load one behind each other so common shaped wad cutters do not work well in it.) . Had one of the pcp units from McMuray in Kalifornia- sold it as I wasn't able to get the bench rest accuracy out of it I needed at the time. I do not know if he is even making those anymore. The Walther and the Annie were superior in that venue. Got a hankering for the Texan in 45or50 but I want that small compressor from Airtex first. I have an old converted Miltary one - 3000 psi @1cfm/min at present. I know the airtex is an import from ? but there is the support there that is lacking in a lot of the others.
Thanks. I placed an order for an air arms tx200 today. Decided to go with a springer instead of a pcp mostly because I don’t want to buy a special compressor, and I know if I tried using a hand pump I’d end up buying a compressor after a day of pumping. Have a feeling I just opened the door to an expensive hobby

K Mueller

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I loved my FWB and don’t know why I sold it. I’m gonna have to buy another. So much fun!

001EA1CC-B0C4-4267-8635-A92E3223614D.jpeg
8AA476D3-77B7-4E4D-AD94-D0B68F3F583C.jpeg

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s a good looking rifle. Pretty sure it’s way out of my price range. Is that one a pcp?