High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Air leaks at the spark plug or decomp threads...

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the sealant of choice for these occasional leaks? I've run across a few and have used everything from LocTite to Dirko to even JBWeld to re-establish a hogged out seat on one plug thread fix that also needed a heli-coil. I've also let a couple slide by that weren't all that bad and didn't detect any noticeable performance issues like you would expect from a bad seal or other type of case or intake leak. Also hafta wonder how many saws that were tested through the plug hole actually have a leak there once a plug is installed.

Just did a MS361 rebuild with an aftermarket top end and have leaks at both the decomp and plug threads with a brand new dual washer decomp substitute bolt and brand new NGK dual washer plug installed. Gotta wonder how common it is with the AM kits (but overlooked), too.

Kinda frustrating to say the least.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are the leaks way out of spec?

They're probably tuned out on most saws... not sure about comp loss, tho.

My personal preference would probably be a Dirko-like material. I use it on decomp plugs all the time. 518 may not be the best.

But isn't the seal broken each time the spark plug is removed?

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was referring to the decomp plug. If the spark plug is leaking, then the threads are junk and it will need a time sert or helicoil. or the washer is junk and you need a new plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
^^^this right here^^^

Use the high temp nickel or copper stuff. When I was at the paper mill we used Teflon and anti seize and that was with steam.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some good input, guys. 'Preciate it.

Dirko HT is good to 500+ degrees and also retains its elasticity for fairly easy removal/cleanup. I've been successful with it on the couple of occasions I've gone that route. The anti-sieze approach makes sense. Sounds like it sorta depends on what you generally have on hand otherwise, eh?

Even good threads are gonna leak. Gasket (washer) seats are gonna get roughed up. Plugs get pulled and checked and reused all the time. Washers get flattened and leak. Was just curious if there was a common sealing approach..., or if folks even worried about it at all unless it was severe.

I'm real picky about the results of my vac/pressure testing when it comes to case (bottom end) and intake integrity. I'll let a minimal top end leak slide on occasion (depending on the saw and general use considerations), but would rather be tight all the way around on every saw..., just because they should be.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have found the seat area the plug squish washer tightens down on to be really rough and sometimes not square to the plug thread bore so the washers cannot make a tight seal. A flycut on the endmill solved that issue, these AM jugs are not well machined.