Air leaks and previous owners

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I posted a while back about my 350 build. Well, the saw ran great for 6 cuts and then went funky so I shut it down. I tore it down and the sealer had not cured and dissolved and coated the i side of the motor. Cleaned it up, put it back together with a new tube of motoseal. It ran great, but would not hold a tune very well. I hung it up, planning to tear it down again in the future. That future was today. I pressure/vac tested it and the saw would not hold any pressure. You could hear it hissing like crazy. Sprayed it with window cleaner and the leak was at the case seam. Ok, great. Easy fix. Tore it down. Oof, this poorthing nearly burned up. I resealed it.....still leaks...in the same spot. I hooked it to the air compressor to get a constant supply of air and worked my way around the seal with the spray. Ah HA! The leak was not at the seam. It was right below it. I tore the saw down again and checked for a scratch, crack, anything that would let it leak. Nothing. The seal was not damaged and the case was solid. I decided to put the seals in their spots and see how they fit. Yup, that's it....the right seal is loose.

Now the back story...
Well, as fate would have it, the previous owner must have bogged the clutch enough to almost melt the right bearing, melting the seal down into the case just enough to cause a leak, burning up the saw. I got it after he traded it in on a new saw and the shop put a new cylinder on it. They used clear silicone and nothing was tight. That's where my part of the story starts.

Anyway, back to the saw. I slathered enough sealer on and around the melted portion of the case to drown a moose. I assembled the saw and am waiting until morning to test it again. I'm 99% sure it's sealed now, since there is nowhere else for it to leak. I suppose I could buy a new lower case half if this doesn't work.

I guess the lesson here is "test fit everything". There's always something that's not quite right, especially on a used saw. I'm headed to bed and I hope it holds pressure in the morning.

isaaccarlson

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything tested great today. I got it tuned and made some test cuts. It holds a tune and cuts fast.
I was really scratching my head before finding the warped part of the case. It's only a few thousandths, but it was enough to make it leak.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one that had marks from the ribs on the seal melted into the case. Dull chains and ham hands...

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeh it sucks when you think you’ve fixed a saw, only to waste time tearing it down again..if I get a saw,now that won’t tune easily. I p&v test the whole saw there’s nothing like thinking you found it only to find later there’s more leaks....I’ve done it.. but I will say it’s hard to see some small leaks when something else is pissing it out and you have to keep spraying and checking and pressuring it up. But that extra care checking pays off..as you don’t get pissed, ripping it apart again
:).