Aftermarket Clutch Quality

Agr516

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be truthful, I use AM 394/5 clutches all the time and I've only had an issue with one. It was dragging a little at idle and I had to buff the high spots off the weights. Really they hold the torque just fine.

All of these have AM 395 clutches.

How did you go about polishing the high spots off of the one clutch that gave you issues? I have an 066 that is spinning the chain at idle and I wonder if I have a high spot on this clutch as well. I have replaced the springs and cleaned the clutch drum but she still spins freely at idle. Thanks for any help.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9970A870-8296-436F-B547-0FE3708E926C.jpeg 8CFB3FA4-847E-4BFB-A879-33EA56B6DE7F.jpeg
Had this happen on a ported 660...first noddleding cut! I was working it pretty hard but still! Have an aftermarket clutch on my 2100cd and it’s been fine

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did you go about polishing the high spots off of the one clutch that gave you issues? I have an 066 that is spinning the chain at idle and I wonder if I have a high spot on this clutch as well. I have replaced the springs and cleaned the clutch drum but she still spins freely at idle. Thanks for any help.

Run it part throttle with a load to purposefully slip the clutch. Pull it off and grind on the shinny spots.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The money the oem manufacturers want for a new clutch is just silly imho. Does make you wonder if they are charging a premium or if there is a special process to make them? They are a pretty important part that takes a lot of abuse.

They have tighter specs to meet, some of which have to deal with safety liability. They have to stand behind it. It has to work as it is. They can't say the springs aren't that good so go try somebody elses if you want it to stay together. It can't have high spots that need to be filed off. It has to fit.

Not saying that AM clutches are not a cost effective option for many guys. But the cost difference is certainly justified given that the OEM and AM operate under 2 very different sets of parameters.

MarcS

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They have tighter specs to meet, some of which have to deal with safety liability. They have to stand behind it. It has to work as it is. They can't say the springs aren't that good so go try somebody elses if you want it to stay together. It can't have high spots that need to be filed off. It has to fit.

Not saying that AM clutches are not a cost effective option for many guys. But the cost difference is certainly justified given that the OEM and AM operate under 2 very different sets of parameters.

I wish Husky had such an upstanding attitude in regards to the EL46 that came in my 2260. :)

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Thanks for clarifying Bob, I agree.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There is no doubt that OEM quality control far exceeds the AM market. Unfortunately, especially when it comes to Stihl, if you saw needs lots of parts, OEM can become cost prohibitive, so I guess it is good we have both OEM and AM to choose from.