After market (chinese) carb kits

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 038 needed a carb cleaning a while ago. Decided to order a carb kit so i decided to go aftermarket as oem is around 50 bucks. New kit comes in and pull apart carb and clean and put new kut in. Put togeather and get a single pop and thats it nothing after that.
Pull carb apart again to recheck all looks good. Reinstall and same thing. Pull apart again and decide to just put old kit back in, reinstall and runs mint. Well now that gets me wondering what was bad in the chinese kit. Would like to start adding one peace at a time to see what was wrong with chines kit but that a lot of work lol.

I never did pull plug to see if flooding. Wish i had of now.

Anyone else have trouble.with chinese carb kits?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used a kit that was Oregon branded and made in China and 2 that were Forester branded, also made in China with no issues other than 1 I caused myself on a Dolmar 111.
But, thats the limit of my use of them.

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've used farmertec brand ,but haven't had an issue yet either

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Used a lot of Chinese carb kits on saws with no issues. However I have had issues with the cheap Chinese carbs. Needed disassembly and cleaning upon arrival.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything matched up between each part? Did you lay part on part to see any difference? I mostly run Walbro or Zama kits with an occasional a Tilly. What was the price difference between the Stihl carb and kit? My brother never rebuilds his Stihl carbs, just replaces them.

Steve, Samsung On5 using Tapatalk

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My 038 needed a carb cleaning a while ago. Decided to order a carb kit so i decided to go aftermarket as oem is around 50 bucks. New kit comes in and pull apart carb and clean and put new kut in. Put togeather and get a single pop and thats it nothing after that.
Pull carb apart again to recheck all looks good. Reinstall and same thing. Pull apart again and decide to just put old kit back in, reinstall and runs mint. Well now that gets me wondering what was bad in the chinese kit. Would like to start adding one peace at a time to see what was wrong with chines kit but that a lot of work lol.

I never did pull plug to see if flooding. Wish i had of now.

Anyone else have trouble.with chinese carb kits?

Generally I have no issues with non OEM kits ...AS... long as i chose the right sort.
One thing I have had though is a slight difference in the steel nipple hight in the metering diaphragm on a few kits and also the hook in sort supplied when i needed the button nipple sort. Worth a look see .
Oh just a thought.... a lot of kits are made in China for OEM supply anyhow , so it "may" not be anything to do with poor quality.

Last edited:

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
10:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
A friend ordered me some tillotson hs knock off kits from hutzl a couple years ago. The pump diaphragm patterns were off just enough to prevent them from working correctly. There was no fixing them. It's easy to tell when you see the little pumper flaps partially covering the holes when aligned.

I have limited experience with aftermarket carbs. One 200t carb was junk because both jet screw tips were busted off inside the passages.
The other carb was the one that came with Bob's (@farley9n's) farmertec 660 kit I put the big bore on. The carb appears to be cloned from the earlier pre epa models, but with passages that are a little oversized which makes it a great carb for modified saws. Only thing is it's a little finicky with tuning. Maybe it's the kit that came with it so I'll try an oem one before I swap it with a real WJ carb.

Last edited:

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everything matched up between each part? Did you lay part on part to see any difference? I mostly run Walbro or Zama kits with an occasional a Tilly. What was the price difference between the Stihl carb and kit? My brother never rebuilds his Stihl carbs, just replaces them.

Oem carb her would probly be over 100 if they can stihl get them.
Ya after the no start i did lay them side by side and from what i could see they were the same.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd go back through the carb and flush out every thing again.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, well, if it runs run it.

S Sidwell

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I got a Chinese carb for my earthquake digger, runs good and didn't have to tune it much. Wasn't gonna pay that earthquake price for the same carb I had bought plus it came with three sets of fuel lines, three line grommets, three filters and three primer bulbs, less that 20.00 bucks. Oh, plus the mounting gaskets. On the plus side, this one is fully adjustable.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interesting...... must have been a Bing carb you have. I've used those kits with no issues plus a lot more. Only issue I've had was in some HD kits the pump diaphram was assembled backward. I was able to flip it around make a hole for the locator tab and assemble....no issues.
In comparing between name brand kits and the cheaper ones theirs not much difference. One kit had aluminum needles that didnt work properly....suspected weight difference. Another kit had the pump diaphram stamped slightly off and unusable....that was a HU kit.
Overall I feel if you find a good sorce for them and they look good stay with them.