Advantages of carb-less 500i

rumatt

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen a lot of 462 vs 500i discussions but most focus on torque and speed in the cut, rather than the potential implications of not having a carburetor.

Are there (theoretical?) advantages to not having the carb? Disadvantages? For example

1. Will it be less susceptible to issues from letting gas sit in the saw? So it would better for homeowners who go months between usage?
  2. Will it require less maintenance than a membrane carb-based saw?
  3. Is it more robust to gas that contains ethanol so I don't have to buy this expensive-ass canned gas?
  4. Anything else? Or should we just go back to talking about speed in the cut?

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Add one more. Though I think I wouldn’t try this myself. Lol

It works, GIs in WWII would dump gas over themselves to get rid of lice. Just about any 'bug' will die when it gets hit with gas/petrol. The smoking light is definitely OUT!

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen a lot of 462 vs 500i discussions but most focus on torque and speed in the cut, rather than the potential implications of not having a carburetor.

Are there (theoretical?) advantages to not having the carb? Disadvantages? For example

1. Will it be less susceptible to issues from letting gas sit in the saw? So it would better for homeowners who go months between usage?
  2. Will it require less maintenance than a membrane carb-based saw?
  3. Is it more robust to gas that contains ethanol so I don't have to buy this expensive-ass canned gas?
  4. Anything else? Or should we just go back to talking about speed in the cut?
For a lot of these question its going to be a waiting game. We probably shouldnt say anything till more time is put on them.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just like older Saw's but worse leaving old gas in it will most likely cost a lot more to fix. Remember it's got a injecter which and you bet you're ass Stihl won't be given them away cheep.:nut:

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Injectors on outboards have fuel related issues, they tend to go lean or if you are lucky stick open and flood.

How are chainsaws making fuel pressure?
Filters and pumps do not like anything but clean fuel.
Increasing fuel would involve increasing dwell time, on a 14K motor time is very short.
Larger injectors and adjustable computers do not sound cheap.

If the system is set up right it will make good power if maintained.
Lots of 'ifs'

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
long-term the costs for the ts 500i and T420 are the same.
We sell about 12 TS 500i and only 1-2 TS 420 per year.
The TS 420 had a bit trouble with the carb on the second butterfly for the fresh air.

nohoff

professional flusher
Local time
1:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The TS 500i is easier to start and has a lot more Power.
Its complicated to remove the Carb From the ts 420. On the 500i you need 5 Minutes for a fuel Pump repair.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I see the evolution, and I have a few of the autotunes, but I still like the simplicity of a carb saw, as well as the price of there parts, do the newer saws run as well? I think they are right there in performance but sometimes the cost of parts doesn't make sense to repair one vs buying a new one.
You don’t see the evolution of Ope 2 strokes? Just higher cost huh.
Eventually, you won’t be able to buy a carb for anything.