High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

abused poulan question

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place to post this....I have a Poulan PP5020AV. I bought it new a number of years ago back when I was a bit naive. I used cheap gas and oil and thought that was ok. Anyway, it stopped working for me after a couple seasons, and I just stuck it in the shed. Now I'm trying to revive it. I got it running and I can even cut some pretty heavy wood with it, but it doesn't run great. It surges and is erratic. I've messed with the carb adjustment screws extensively. I opened up the muffler. I cleaned the air filter. I checked the spark plug. I put in good fuel and oil. While the muffler was off I looked at the piston and there was some browning on the sides. Not a whole lot, but some. Do I need to replace the fuel filter? Clean/rebuild the carb? Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions....

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this helped me a lot on carb cleaning/rebuilding, count how many times the H&L needles screw all the way in so when you go to reinstall them you know were to set them.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! Sounds like the carb is the culprit....(well, the dumb user, I mean....)

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don't you just love that Tygon LP-1200 line? Don't seem to fuel line problems, just creates more.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just picked up some fuel line and a filter....will get that replaced...thanks, Cut4fun...

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Pulled the filter and hose out....I can see that the inner tube is crimped. Has to be a problem...
xjAz4H9.jpg

Is there a way to tell if the fuel filter is any good or not? I picked up this tube and filter....Don't know if they're good quality or not???

h6OVQqM.jpg

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Pulled the filter and hose out....I can see that the inner tube is crimped. Has to be a problem...
xjAz4H9.jpg

Is there a way to tell if the fuel filter is any good or not? I picked up this tube and filter....Don't know if they're good quality or not???

h6OVQqM.jpg
Idk
Echo makes good stuff reasonable. Don't be cheap on the fuel system. Thirty dollars well spent or less.

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMO about $3 in oem echo black line.
Blow through fuel filter. Looks ok.
Carb kit 8
Check and clean screen inside carb

Never had any luck with clear lines. Tried those when first started myself. Last a year and harden.
That filter looks like a trimmer filter. I would check the oem used one out.

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That all helps....Thanks guys....sorry, I'm real green.....new to all this....I have some legit fuel line I got in a kit for one of my other saws. I'll use that until I can get some more....

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Made some progress (at least at eliminating possibilities)...Took the carb out. A couple of the fuel hoses just fell off their connection points. (Were they even attached?) I noticed the intake manifold boot showed signs of dry rotting (I live in the hot desert). I may need to order a new one. There was some crud buildup in the intake area. Maybe the air filter (which seems loose) isn't doing its job??? I replaced all the fuel lines (fun getting that through the tiny hole!) and the primer bulb. Cleaned the carb out real good with carb cleaner. Blew compressed air through everything.

pAle4Ql.jpg

cIdGGbs.jpg

Az7IR6L.jpg

Got her all hooked up...

Xa73rVl.jpg

My only casualty was that little screw on the carb. It fell down below and I forgot to get it out before hitting the area with air. It flew who knows where. I had an extra carb I stole one from. Darn it...

wCReXcu.jpg

Anyway, it still doesn't run right at all. Next I'm going to change the fuel filter to a new one. Then I'm going to take the carb apart and see if I can see anything. The extra new carb I have may fit, so I may try that....

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Did you open carb and clean it out? The way your line was causes this.

Then put new carb kit back in right order?

If in doubt. New carb $20

p4218a.JPG

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I will do that next. I don't have a rebuild kit, but I can open her up and see what I can see.....I can get the saw to run by partially holding open the choke. It's not getting the fuel it needs, even with screws open....

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think you're right! Tried a new filter and that didn't do it. Has to be in the carb. Will take that apart next...

sonoransaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Took the carb apart....cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner.....seemed ok....put it back together....saw ran a little better/longer but still won't stay running despite much messing with the adjustment screws....still erratic.....I'm thinking a new carb may be in order....Should I have taken out the screw in the middle in the second pic? I left it alone.... (Just ordered a new carb...Hoping that does the trick.)
YMD1n41.jpg

uOhHrx8.jpg

Last edited: