A good way to have a bad day

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I started today of unaware that I'd be going to look at two saws, but as the day progressed, things came together and I went to check out Ed's 661 followed by Joe's 2188. Needless to say, both were in great shape and I couldn't contain myself... I now own both.

The bad day part comes into play because for the last week I had been messaging about both saws, and in doing so also found out Joe may be able to help me with my 044 clutch springs. So while at his house, we start tearing into the 044. And then wham, a no name Chinese jug and double rings each groove of piston. My heart sank and I was more depressed than a unic at a strip club.

The 044 was the first saw I ever bought, even though I had ran many. I looked forever for that saw. I wanted a clean old school saw, and I chose this one over a 10mm for the option to mod in the future.

Well it came from eBay. Lots of pics, very clean plastics. Original bar in good shape and what seller said was original chain about half gone and an extra. I probably over paid at the time, $650 plus shipping. Got into a bidding war, but I just hadn't found a cleaner one and the price wasn't too much of a stretch from what I had been seeing. But now knowing about the jug, I completely overpaid.

On a positive the saw does have 160psi and good crank seals. Just thought I'd vent to y'all. Also ask for some opinions. I want to at least find an oem cylinder. I could also have an oem jug ported or even slap a ported 046 jug on it. I could also just leave it be and run it. Feel free to laugh, just leave thoughts afterwards.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's probably someone out there with a used 440 jug if you want to have it ported later. The Chinese walbro copies from eBay work decent. I've used several on ported saws. The oem walbro is probably best if you can find one at a decent price

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to dig deeper when I have a computer, but all the walbro carbs on eBay also say zama

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a clean 440 cylinder that needs the plug hole welding up after it blew out, if you want it you can have it

Wow, that would be awesome, and generous. I've never welded cast aluminum. Is there someone that has experience here?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can buy both good and bad oem, or am parts. Why not put good rings in it and run it?

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A year. We took it apart at elect's house to check clutch. Noticed cylinder, checked compression, tightened the jug, he said it was loose, put it back together, now it doesn't run.

Starts and idles briefly, bogs when trigger squeezed quick. If you roll on throttle slow it will rev slightly, then bog and die, I have no idea

unionvillecountryboy

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update, so I figured out my rubber boot just needed the clamp tightened. Also my impulse line was twisted bad. Fixed those things, now its back to running smooth.

I sold the P/C combo after figuring out that this is an old West Germany 10mm saw.......... So now I need to find a KS jug in good shape, send it to @Mastermind, and put a Meteor? in it. Or should I just go with aftermarket P/C set up?