A crazy gift with a little flaw (395xp)

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recieved this beauty from a befriended logger as a gift (yes a gift!) for good cooperation in recent years (crazy, i'm still a little shocked about that) he's been running 4 saws from me since 2013 in his business (chainsaw supported harvester logging).

IMAG0384.jpg

IMAG0387.jpg

He originally bought the saw to convert the heated handles to a new 395xp (you can't get them 'new' anymore with heated handles) which I have ported for him last year. After the successful conversion, he decided to give it to me for free, crazy guy! :eyepop: (I have to return the favor someday, otherwise I have a bad conscience)

Now, here it is... with one little flaw.... broken fins.

IMAG0395.jpg

IMAG0396.jpg
except for the fins, the saw looks really good.

Of course, i want to port it!

So heres my question, whats your opinion, should i go with that cyl? Or should i go with a new one? Don't know if the cooling is still enough with that amount of broken fins near the top. I never had one with that kind of damage. What are your experiences?

thanks in advance for the decision support :ARMS1:

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:11 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It will likely live a long life like that. Now that you are not into it for any money atall id buy a new top end after you ported that jug to your likes. Thst way if you go too fay you can still back up and punt.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 385 has served me well despite broken fins. I’d run it. No sense wasting a cylinder with a good bore. Just tune on safe side. If a tree falls on it or ran over by a skidder you won’t be as sad lol.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow!! Gooood friends are hard to come by. You're very fortunate, You have one.
Shep