• Total voters

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think Stihl when Stihl upgraded the 660 and released the 661 they made some clever good upgrades but forgot to put tanky toughness into it, 90cc saws don't just need powa, they need to be tough and resist a pounding.

I agree with this. You know a design is tough when the chinese copy of it even seems to last half ass. Lol

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So...last year with some of my tax return, I decided I would by my first ever new saw! I'm looking to buy (you guessed it) another brand new saw.

Its between a 661 and a 395. I can get a nice discount on Husqvarna, but that wont stop me from picking up a 661 if I can get one for a reasonable price.

Saw will normally utilize a 36" bar, I'm not really scared of weight. The saw will end up being ported as well.

Which do you prefer? Why? Which would you purchase? Explain your logic.

I'm not interested in a brand war or pissing on one of the saws for no reason, so swing your Johnson elsewhere!
Im not going with a personal choice thing with these two.
I would go with a basic pragmatic view along the lines of .......
Initial cost to buy + port.
Dealer location (and relationship) from you if you need something sorted that you can't do yourself and how that may affect down time if you need to make money using the saw.
Robustness for the sort of work you intend using it for ...is it more saw than is needed ? ...or is it on its limit ?
Consumables.... OEM parts and there cost ... plus the long term supply.
If you work on it, do you like one design over another and have you already got tools and bars that will sub onto the new saw.
There may be more things to mention but the above may trigger something that swings the choice proses in your mind.:)

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Honestly my emphasis on New is important to me, or I would bite on something like Docs 066.
As an arborist I get by with a dolly 7910 as my "big" saw for now. I will probably buy a bigger saw this year as well. The dolly usually wears a 28 but handles 36" duty when needed. I would probably pick the 661, but I would use it for everything from felling/stumping to blocking down a big spar.

How do you see yourself using the saw Dom?

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just throwing this out there. What about the Dolkita 9010? It's a viable option.

Bad ass saw Jeff. Smooth av, tractor power, and built well. Hard to get parts is what ultimately killed that dream for me when I owned one briefly.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bad ass saw Jeff. Smooth av, tractor power, and built well. Hard to get parts is what ultimately killed that dream for me when I owned one briefly.

This is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm looking at units sold currently that are still actively in service with all parts available.
How do you see yourself using the saw Dom?
Saw will be used for trees 3 feet or larger, for felling, bucking, and flushing stumps. I wont be carrying it around for logging unless the timber is tremendous, for normal duty...the 572 with a 28" will probably do the work.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is what I'm trying to avoid. I'm looking at units sold currently that are still actively in service with all parts available.

Saw will be used for trees 3 feet or larger, for felling, bucking, and flushing stumps. I wont be carrying it around for logging unless the timber is tremendous, for normal duty...the 572 with a 28" will probably do the work.

Sounds like the 395 is right up your alley.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

395 sounds right then for what your using it for. Get yourself a .404 long bah setup :).

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
10:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I voted for the 395. Not a brand choice, just a personal preference for the way they feel and perform. I like carburetors too.

I can help you get a hold of a non MT version 661 if you want to go that way, Dom.

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Im not going with a personal choice thing with these two.
I would go with a basic pragmatic view along the lines of .......
Initial cost to buy + port.
Dealer location (and relationship) from you if you need something sorted that you can't do yourself and how that may affect down time if you need to make money using the saw.
Robustness for the sort of work you intend using it for ...is it more saw than is needed ? ...or is it on its limit ?
Consumables.... OEM parts and there cost ... plus the long term supply.
If you work on it, do you like one design over another and have you already got tools and bars that will sub onto the new saw.
There may be more things to mention but the above may trigger something that swings the choice proses in your mind.:)
That's why i have multiples of what I run.
No downtime
Most ported some not
I actually prefer used saws Simon.