High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

A Barrett brother with a Creamsicle?? The heck you say!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
3:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The air filter is pricey for a 024, last time I bought one for mine it was like 35$ for that little filter. Probably cheaper and better flow to upgrade to 026 setup?

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The air filter is pricey for a 024 last time I bought one for mine it was like 35$ for that little filter. Probably cheaper and better flow to upgrade to 026 setup?
Not sure on that. I still have an air filter but it's in pretty dire need of a good cleaning and inspection for damage.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure on that. I still have an air filter but it's in pretty dire need of a good cleaning and inspection for damage.
Mine looked exactly like that. Flocking wears out over time I think. The newer ones are improved but I don’t like the price. I think you need a 026 filter cover to upgrade to the larger filter. Maybe you could find a good used setup for cheap?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess they are USA made. Maybe I'm confused by the super? Most supers I've seen were West German.

The clutch covers are different because of the front adjust.

The tops and af covers are different. So are the flywheels, the carbs and the muffs.

Most do have Pan head screws on the AV mounts and the top handle as Duane said, at least the early ones.

As for the tops, there are the MS260 round variants.

Then the 024/6. The 024 top cover has a bend in it, the 026 is straight. The 024 af cover is shorter. A quick trick is to look at the arrow over the lock knob. The 026 will have an inch of space over the arrow before the top begins to turn forward. The 024 won't have any space.

The 026 covers can be put on an 024. Putting the 024 covers on an 026 requires cutting the 2 rear fins off the top of the jug on an 026, and obviously the shorter air filter.

I will try to dig up some pics.

Last edited:

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are so many variations of 024/026/260 saws it's borderline impossible to know every possible configuration. There were lots of running changes, and add in that til they land on our work benches, they're likely to have had some parts changes over the years, it's tough to say what was original to each model. With that said, it seems there are 6 basic groups that I've seen. This is from Northeast USA, so other areas may differ;

-Early 024/024s
these saws typically are west Germany built, straight head screws, 028 style clutch covers, metal mesh air filters, old style caps with chain retainers, tilly carbs, front chain adjust, one nut, non translucent fuel tanks, metal Id tags, metal small loop handlebars, tube style muffler outlet (some, not all, but if it is a tube style, it's old)

-Late 024/024s
Typically Virginia Beach built, I've never honestly seen a later style 024s but I won't say they don't exist. All the VB 024's I've been around were woodbosses or standard AV's. Later style fuel caps with rope retainers, torx screws, flocked/felt air filters, different/ISO pictographs on master control functions, 2 nuts, the very latest versions can have plastic id tag and translucent tanks from what I've seen. Could have been replaced previously though.

-Early 026
44mm non decomp, metal id tag, larger "D" shaped metal handlebar, metal non adjustable oil pump (case not cast for adjustment slot either), tube style muffler outlet(again, not all were, but if it is tube, it's early), adjustable carb, some flat head screws, old style ribbed fuel caps with chains, taller but thin air filter and cover, flat top cover with no decomp provision, non translucent tanks, side chain adjust, 2 nuts.

-Late 026/026 Pro
typically 49cc, plastic handlebars, larger air filter (same as ms260), larger but still squared off air box cover,1/4 turn lever to release air filter cover rather than knob, decomp provision in engine cover, hit or miss on fixed jet carbs, translucent fuel tanks, newer style threaded caps, plastic id tags, case cast with oil pump adjustment slot (whether it had one or not) plastic non adjustable oil pump and non intelli-carb (non pro) or metal, drum driven adjustable oil pump, decomp, and intelli-carb (pro)

-MS260
basically the same as later 026 with rounded hump top covers and flippy caps. Can be either 49 or 50cc depending on build date. Plastic non adj oil pump. Updated larger fuel line,

-MS260 Pro
Same as 260 but with metal adjustable oil pump, intelli-carb, and decomp. Basically an 026 pro with flippy caps and bulged covers and possibly 44.3mm jug. Typically walbro wt403 carb.

I know I'm missing some stuff but this is from memory and there were about 1,000 minor revisions along the way with carb changes, coil and wire changes, fuel lines, subtle differences in cranks and rods, piston/cylinder changes, etc. But largely these are the main differences that I've seen.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it's about time Joe! Looks like I'll build one right along with you! Stopped at Ted's aka @big t double shop this morning before I headed back to Pittsbrugh. Was looking to snag some parts off of this saw. Ended up taking the whole thing for the price of a cheap case of beer! Lol! Dead saw salvage coming up!
f27be3de18bf0340ba46f1898142f2a0.jpg
c69f07552046df7985c575b9502e5bcf.jpg
084dd9fa84146869cebbc95cc66da708.jpg

I'm surprised he didn't keep it to keep his boat in place..:lol:

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
2:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm surprised he didn't keep it to keep his boat in place..:lol:

I dont think he has a boat!

Nope no boat...but even if I did, I got a couple 075's hangin out around the garage I'd dedicate as anchors befor an 0 deuce fo. I keep a 24 with a hedge clippers attachment. They're handy little engines.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are so many variations of 024/026/260 saws it's borderline impossible to know every possible configuration. There were lots of running changes, and add in that til they land on our work benches, they're likely to have had some parts changes over the years, it's tough to say what was original to each model. With that said, it seems there are 6 basic groups that I've seen. This is from Northeast USA, so other areas may differ;

-Early 024/024s
these saws typically are west Germany built, straight head screws, 028 style clutch covers, metal mesh air filters, old style caps with chain retainers, tilly carbs, front chain adjust, one nut, non translucent fuel tanks, metal Id tags, metal small loop handlebars, tube style muffler outlet (some, not all, but if it is a tube style, it's old)

-Late 024/024s
Typically Virginia Beach built, I've never honestly seen a later style 024s but I won't say they don't exist. All the VB 024's I've been around were woodbosses or standard AV's. Later style fuel caps with rope retainers, torx screws, flocked/felt air filters, different/ISO pictographs on master control functions, 2 nuts, the very latest versions can have plastic id tag and translucent tanks from what I've seen. Could have been replaced previously though.

-Early 026
44mm non decomp, metal id tag, larger "D" shaped metal handlebar, metal non adjustable oil pump (case not cast for adjustment slot either), tube style muffler outlet(again, not all were, but if it is tube, it's early), adjustable carb, some flat head screws, old style ribbed fuel caps with chains, taller but thin air filter and cover, flat top cover with no decomp provision, non translucent tanks, side chain adjust, 2 nuts.

-Late 026/026 Pro
typically 49cc, plastic handlebars, larger air filter (same as ms260), larger but still squared off air box cover,1/4 turn lever to release air filter cover rather than knob, decomp provision in engine cover, hit or miss on fixed jet carbs, translucent fuel tanks, newer style threaded caps, plastic id tags, case cast with oil pump adjustment slot (whether it had one or not) plastic non adjustable oil pump and non intelli-carb (non pro) or metal, drum driven adjustable oil pump, decomp, and intelli-carb (pro)

-MS260
basically the same as later 026 with rounded hump top covers and flippy caps. Can be either 49 or 50cc depending on build date. Plastic non adj oil pump. Updated larger fuel line,

-MS260 Pro
Same as 260 but with metal adjustable oil pump, intelli-carb, and decomp. Basically an 026 pro with flippy caps and bulged covers and possibly 44.3mm jug. Typically walbro wt403 carb.

I know I'm missing some stuff but this is from memory and there were about 1,000 minor revisions along the way with carb changes, coil and wire changes, fuel lines, subtle differences in cranks and rods, piston/cylinder changes, etc. But largely these are the main differences that I've seen.
Preach it Brother. I agree 100% As you said, lots of mixing as well, before and after leaving the factory. Somewhere along the line they had a subtle color change in the orange plastic too.

Last edited:

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

-Early 024/024s

-Late 024/024s

-Early 026

-Late 026/026 Pro

-MS260

-MS260 Pro

Very Nice info. I know the insides better than the history. Great stuff.

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

-Early 024/024s

-Late 024/024s

-Early 026

-Late 026/026 Pro

-MS260

-MS260 Pro

Well said!! The knowledge some of you guys have on these saws ( as well as other saws), is pretty damned amazing!!
Thank you for sharing!!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well it's about time Joe! Looks like I'll build one right along with you! Stopped at Ted's aka @big t double shop this morning before I headed back to Pittsbrugh. Was looking to snag some parts off of this saw. Ended up taking the whole thing for the price of a cheap case of beer! Lol! Dead saw salvage coming up!
f27be3de18bf0340ba46f1898142f2a0.jpg
c69f07552046df7985c575b9502e5bcf.jpg
084dd9fa84146869cebbc95cc66da708.jpg

That is a super nice find. I'm gonna want to see it when you get it cleaned up -- I believe it's gonna be a cream puff.
The filter will have to be replaced by the looks of it. How about the piston cylinder?

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess they are USA made. Maybe I'm confused by the super? Most supers I've seen were West German.

The clutch covers are different because of the front adjust.

The tops and af covers are different. So are the flywheels, the carbs and the muffs.

Most do have Pan head screws on the AV mounts and the top handle as Duane said, at least the early ones.

As for the tops, there are the MS260 round variants.

Then the 024/6. The 024 top cover has a bend in it, the 026 is straight. The 024 af cover is shorter. A quick trick is to look at the arrow over the lock knob. The 026 will have an inch of space over the arrow before the top begins to turn forward. The 024 won't have any space.

The 026 covers can be put on an 024. Putting the 024 covers on an 026 requires cutting the 2 rear fins off the top of the jug on an 026, and obviously the shorter air filter.

I will try to dig up some pics.

Good and detailed observations.