Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is the 2nd best running $200 saw I own. I'm confident it'll get better after its ported. These are it's first cuts

Runs great is that poplar .
how does the weight feel against an oem 660
My china 372s are a bit heavier than oem.
Doesn't bother me though.
i'm keeping mine they have suprised me and they are cheap and
Fun to mess with.

Last edited:

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
one of the stronger 046's I've had roughly .030 of freeport. I didn't build that saw. Came from canadadada.

Do you think perhaps these saws could run stronger if the skirt closed the port? If not, what would the reasoning be behind the Freeport not being a detractor?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Runs great is that poplar .
how does the weight feel against an oem 660
My china 372s are a bit heavier than oem.
Doesn't bother me though.
i'm keeping mine they have suprised me and they are cheap and
Fun to mess with.

Wood is dry ash. Hard, not punky. It got cut down before the eab got to it.

I don't have scales to compare. Feels like a 660

one of the stronger 046's I've had roughly .030 of freeport. I didn't build that saw. Came from canadadada.

Do you think perhaps these saws could run stronger if the skirt closed the port? If not, what would the reasoning be behind the Freeport not being a detractor?

I don't think freeporting in and of itself is a benefit. It is a side effect of dropping the jug far enough (or too far, depending on how you look at it) to get the exhaust down and/or to gain compression.

I figure at 5 or 6° before TDC when it cracks open, there's not a lot still going on in the case.

So, do you feel cool kevin, makin all the rest of us feel like slackers??
No sir. I've learned over the years that I need to jump on it when I feel like doing something or it might not get done lol

GoBigBlue1984

Bluegrass Fart Knocker...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not a benefit for sure. Every saw I degree before lathe work I sit down and devise a plan considering several variables. I'm sure we all do. One of the things that I do, especially if I know I'm dropping the jug very much is check the skirt for how far I can go if need be before I run out of skirt. If my target numbers require .050 off the base but I can only go .040, then I adjust my target numbers accordingly. As to specifically avoid freeporting. Perhaps I've shown too much caution and in the future I'll pay less attention to the possibility of freeporting and shoot for numbers anyways.

I think you nailed it Kev when you said at that point in the cycle there just isn't enough going on in the cylinder for it to hurt.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It's not a benefit for sure. Every saw I degree before lathe work I sit down and devise a plan considering several variables. I'm sure we all do. One of the things that I do, especially if I know I'm dropping the jug very much is check the skirt for how far I can go if need be before I run out of skirt. If my target numbers require .050 off the base but I can only go .040, then I adjust my target numbers accordingly. As to specifically avoid freeporting. Perhaps I've shown too much caution and in the future I'll pay less attention to the possibility of freeporting and shoot for numbers anyways.

I think you nailed it Kev when you said at that point in the cycle there just isn't enough going on in the cylinder for it to hurt.
I always check the skirt before machine work. I usually avoid freeporting.
The pic I posted I just got carried away with the burr, but I got the port shaped how I wanted it. Just took too much off the bottom

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mines in a box still. Looks great Kevin.

I've had some funky 026 jugs come across my bench, all oem. With the same amount off the base, some will Freeport a bit. One that freeported recently, ported exactly the same way, ran stronger than the others. I'm no sure if the Freeport did this, or some other variable.

I beleive the theory is that freeporting causes the exiting exhaust stream to exert a Venturi effect on the freeported area and helps pull charge into the case.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can one buy a lighter saw for less? I'm a small guy, I'm thinking a 026 would suit me better.
I tryed to pick up a 660'one time, but someone thought it would be funny to epoxy it to the floor.
If I could get something close to a 026 I see y'all ramping over for less, I mite be interested.
An 036 isn't really that much bigger than an 026, you'd be surprised. Maybe a pound heavier.

Makes a lot more powah than an 026, even though it's only 13cc bigger.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just did an oem 066 and this one about the same time. I can't remember if these are a hollow can or not. I can look tonight

Mine was hollow Kevin. I actually like the hollow muffler better. I gut the OE mufflers anymore anyhow.

Kevin, how much meat does your piston have at the bottom of the skirt at TDC? Without a gasket I've got .020 before Freeport. Handicaps me with machine work.

My muffler had baffles

FT muffler on my kit saw has a baffle like oem. I've purchased a couple AM muffs for 066 and 044 that were empty. Sucks. I hate drilling out spot welds