661 went boom

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
10:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many of the MSXX'1' models had standard carbs before the Mtronic version hit the shelf like 441/261/362 etc. The 241/661 were different in the fact they were MT from the get go. It took Stihl a LONG time to bring the 661 to market, I honestly thought they would have done a slightly better job with their flagship model. It's a great saw that will impress anyone who uses it even stock but....... I think when the 461 becomes MT it will be recieved better by the market.
The 661 is not Mtronic in parts of Europe.

big t double

You can call me Teddy Eastwood.....
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
There's not a recall or anything on the old coils. Hell I haven't even seen an update bulletin. If you take a smoked 661 in to a dealer he can read the fuel values and see if the coil was the cause of the lean seize...or just go by coil part number to know if it's the older coil. At that point warranty would apply. If youre out of warranty you might be able to get the dealer to lean on his service rep a bit to get a good faith warranty...Stihl knows the older coils weren't right. Now if your saw is ported....well....

Unless you know a dealer that would look the other way....:) I wonder if Stihl would call back parts knowing that the old coils were wired wrong in the first place.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so what's the deal with the new coil?
The 4701 coil has different fuel programming than the 4700 coil. It adds more fuel throughout the entire rpm range

You don't even have to take the recoil off to tell which one you have.

If WOT is 13,000-13,200 you have the 4701

If WOT is above 13,400 you have the 4700 and should get the 4701 coil

CR500

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
not sure what coil I have have to ask Jason lol

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The new coil definitely helps, I haven't heard if any have smoked top ends with the new coil

Fitting the coil will erase hrs done. So if you wanted to know, have to do it b4.
I just got a 241 off eBay. Looked like new. Went to my dealer and in a couple of mins he could tell me the hrs down to the seconds it had done and whether it had a hard life during that time [emoji1360]
It had 2hr20 and 45 sec on it [emoji16]
They don't need to run it to find this out.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm Still trying to figure out why the saw's failure would be any fault of yours Brett.

It ran after you ported it for a year of commercial work. Wouldn't most issues secondary to an improper port job evidence themselves immediately?

How long does a stock 661 usually last your customer?

I'd like to know the answer about how long a porter is "on the hook" for repairs once a running saw leaves his shop. Is it 6 months, a year, forever?

Sounds like your customer is reasonable and was able to be more productive with your saw than a stock one. Even if he paid the cost of a new saw for the port job, if it made him more productive, it was likely still worth it.

I can't wait to hear what you find wrong with the saw. I'm betting the failure had nothing to directly do with your port job.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
9:36 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey spencerpaving did you ever get ahold of Matt Marks' hotsaw?

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 4701 coil has different fuel programming than the 4700 coil. It adds more fuel throughout the entire rpm range

You don't even have to take the recoil off to tell which one you have.

If WOT is 13,000-13,200 you have the 4701

If WOT is above 13,400 you have the 4700 and should get the 4701 coil
I liked the way CR500 run with the shorter bars. It didn't sound as rich as the 4701.

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm Still trying to figure out why the saw's failure would be any fault of yours Brett.

It ran after you ported it for a year of commercial work. Wouldn't most issues secondary to an improper port job evidence themselves immediately?

How long does a stock 661 usually last your customer?

I'd like to know the answer about how long a porter is "on the hook" for repairs once a running saw leaves his shop. Is it 6 months, a year, forever?

Sounds like your customer is reasonable and was able to be more productive with your saw than a stock one. Even if he paid the cost of a new saw for the port job, if it made him more productive, it was likely still worth it.

I can't wait to hear what you find wrong with the saw. I'm betting the failure had nothing to directly do with your port job.
Nobody's placing blame he was very happy with it...that's why he wants it done again..apparently it has a ton of hrs on it...but you might be right the problem might be something other than porting