661 went boom

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Last year I ported a brand new 661 for a logger...the saw ran very strong and cut very well. Today I get a call that it quit running and squeaked. ..I felt bad that it was only a little over a year old. The guy said don't worry about it..and wants a new cyl and piston on it and ported again. I told him I would I would eat the labor and put together stock. He said I can't run a stock saw again after having one modded....so I was worried about it only lasting a year....then he told me it has cut a little over 1.2 million board ft of timber...he wants it done ASAP cause he doesn't like his stock backup saws. I'm not a logger but is this alot wood/time on a saw?

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Being a logger he would know the 661 has not had the dead stable reputation of the model it replaced (MS660). Even the 066/660 had many upgrades and changes through its life, the 661 will be that reliable saw one day in the future when its little flaws are ironed out wether electronic or mechanical. The fact he wants you to port the new cylinder says he gets that and does not place blame in your work. Many stock 661's have had failures it is just what it is. By the sounds of it he is lucky to have a builder that will help when the chips are down. I think YOU need to assess the saw to see how the failure occured so we can better understand the weaknesses of this model.

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what would be the appropriate procedure going from a short bar to a long bar on the 661?

spencerpaving

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just got the call this aft....I should have the saw by the weekend then I can look at it and determine what happened....to my knowledge it has never been back to a dealer for repairs. He has a large enough company he could trash it and buy a new one...but for some reason he wants this one fixed

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Had a ported 661c from mastermind, absolutely loved it, my mate needed one urgently so sold it to him as I wasn't using it every day. It did a little work then karked it, strip down revealed a leaking decomp, burnt out top end, blued clutch, bluntish chain and lots of carbon from HP ultra at 40-1. Pressure/vac showed just the decomp leak. My mate said hed been ripping a pine stem and it kept jamming so that would account for the clutch colour. It stopped running when he was with me cutting up a couple of large hard gum trees, probably had dirt in them, I didn't notice any signs of bad running before it stopped... Randymind also said there was a coil upgrade for richer running too. Cylinder went back to mastermind for clean up then new piston, rings and upgraded coil, seems to be running fine now, still a beast

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

stihlman441

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The problem is from switchin from a short bar or light load to a long bar or heavy load. It takes the mtronic too long to catch up and smokes the piston

I have installed the new up dated coil/ontroller to my ported 661 and it runs fine and am very confident it "wont blow up"

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Many of the MSXX'1' models had standard carbs before the Mtronic version hit the shelf like 441/261/362 etc. The 241/661 were different in the fact they were MT from the get go. It took Stihl a LONG time to bring the 661 to market, I honestly thought they would have done a slightly better job with their flagship model. It's a great saw that will impress anyone who uses it even stock but....... I think when the 461 becomes MT it will be recieved better by the market.