High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

661 manifold problem solved

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
661 has been plagued by intake manifold troubles since the beginning and their solutions always seem to create new problems. the rubber ring inside the bellow to solve the fuel puddling problem, straight walled intake to solve the dislodging rubber ring, the ?????? to solve the common ripped manifold from having no bellows with a soft A/V in combination with a piss poor travel limiter that takes a rough operator all of a week to break with no way to repair other than PTO case half replacement. To my knowledge they havent fixed the straight wall intake problem or the travel limiter issue and dont believe they have plans to do so either so 660 to the rescue.

travel limiter is just a thin walled pocket on the top right of the case with a screw protruding thru the wrap handle into the cavity, doesnt take long for the rubber sleeve on the bolt to disappear and the screw to bust thru the pocket then you start the vicious circle of ripped intake boots since there is nothing to limit travel.

AS 001.jpg

And here is the solution, a bellowed intake seems to be holding up pretty well. of course since the bellowed boot is better it also has to cost almost double what a 661 intake costs.

AS 002.jpg AS 004.jpg

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
i have 6 or so 661's i keep serviced up for guys and every last one of them has the limit pocket busted out so any other cost effective solutions are welcome because case replacement or the down time to send em off to be welded up isnt happening.

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a re-design like the MS462 is coming soon. Time will tell.

The guys that put food on their tables certainly aren't easy on equipment but then they shouldn't have to. It's all about production. And all about the engineers getting it right for them to do just that.

Can't wait for the 7910 replacement.

psuiewalsh

Basement Bodging
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I there enough room to fit a plate the would use the clutch side cylinder screws as attachment point then the plate could have a thick wall extension tube to the limit screw?

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is not true. 661's are legendary.

I wonder if the lower handle bar buffer on a 200t would work. If I remember right they have a stud on one side and a threaded hole on the other. Not sure if the buffer is to long to fit between the limiter and the handle bar. If that don't work maybe the upper handle buffer off the ps9000/9010 could work.

Last edited:

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've seen that problem on tons of 661's here too; in fact there's one on the bench now:

View attachment 105052

Maybe we can engineer an upper mount like a Husky.......??

boy the ones( AV bushings) on the 660 never seemed to have issues....why the heck change a good thing....oh wait...its German engineers having to prove their Engineering pee pees are better then..... erybody elses...

thanks for the heads up Nate and Alan. I only work on one and the guys are very rough but this one has survived so far. Maybe a period change of the washer/bushing ?

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rig up the nylon strap off the cs620.
thats a great idea, next time i have one in here i may have to look into that one, I'll still be installing the 660 manifolds from now on, not worth the hassle of dealing with the ripped 661 straight walled boots even tho they are half the price

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A Steel ...SS steel ....sleeve put into the pocket to take the pin point loading from what looks like using the saw on a pushing chain and ....or ...hard handling .

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do you think it bust the housing from guys getting there saw pinched and pulling and wrenching on them to get them out.
pulling/yanking on the saw is definitely a major cause of it but a better design or even this design just beefed up would eliminate it. trying to save weight left the wall thickness to thin to withstand much abuse. with the pocket busted out completely like this one just the saw resting has the intake pulled tight, even the pressure from making an upcut will eventually tear the manifold.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Steel ...SS steel ....sleeve put into the pocket to take the pin point loading from what looks like using the saw on a pushing chain and ....or ...hard handling .
That would significantly limit AV travel.

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I had put the small av bushing plug in the one I had to limit travel. It may help spread the load out to not bust it

a combination of these would be a good preventative measure for a saw that brutus is going to use.
a steel cup epoxied in place would be pretty strong