High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

660 Fast idle solution..........hooray!!

Rsrobins

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm going to try and make another shim tomorrow. The first one i made was a little thicker than 1/8th.

Rsrobins

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I put a new tank/handle on my old saw. My old handle had the one with the round thing on it. My new one is the same as the 660. I'm going to attempt another shim this morning. Ill report back on how it goes. The first one i made was too wide.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Installed the new shim you sent me jmester. Works like a champ!! Thanks for the extra!! Thank you wood doctor for coming up with this idea!!
The shim ir the switch rod will wear out eventually. A little grease may likely prolong its life. A few years back I made one using strap steel and it never wore out.

Some 660's never have any trouble because it depends on the production run. The tolerance is just too small. All of this was corrected when the 661 was released. The entire design was changed.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can send you a shim if you want one. They are no cost to you. I cover the shipping . Pm me your address if you are interested .

PM inbound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does this shim fix the clone 066 fast idle issues or only worn OEM setups?

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does this shim fix the clone 066 fast idle issues or only worn OEM setups?
It also fixes the clones. They are exact duplicates of the OEM in most cases. It's very much a production tolerance/design issue. Sometimes engineers design mating parts with accuracy requirements that cannot be mass produced. This design requires two parts to be right on the nose -- the trigger and the switch rod. A very small production error by either or both can set up the problem.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The lack of a fast idle affects many saws, not just the 066/660. I ran into one today -- a vintage Echo 345/346. These saws have a long throttle cable that will eventually stretch after several years. When it does, the trigger control may look like you are getting a fast idle, but you are not. So, a cold start is difficult, to say the least. You pull and pull, but nothing happens.

A simple fix to this looks to be almost impossible. I have to wonder how many were thrown away by their owners in disgust when the engines were still strong. A complete carburetor change out 0r a rebuild solved nothing. :(