660 clone build

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
yt1jNZD.jpg

Is this a common failure point? I've heard of 2 others doing this.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry this happened to yours ..........
I like the posts because its showing the failures of these clones, and without question there is oil and had enough fuel so it wasnt lean

Thank you for putting this up !

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although I hate to see this, it does show up the inconsistency in the production of the product.

Have you seen gravedigger 660 page 3. He then talks about an upgrade crank from hlsupply

Cheers for posting.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think the piston is reusable either. I need to look things over more. It was fun building it but now I wish I didn't buy it. I tried to look all the parts over before assembly. Everything felt free and smooth as it was going together but looking back I think I've had problems since the first start up. It cranked harder than I thought it should but I thought maybe since everything was new. After it was ran it did loosen up. I also had a vibration at times. Which for it to fail after 3 tanks it could not have been good from the start.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Although I hate to see this, it does show up the inconsistency in the production of the product.

Have you seen gravedigger 660 page 3. He then talks about an upgrade crank from hlsupply

Cheers for posting.

I'll check it out.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Page 4 is where t.roller says about May get a replacement from hlsupply.

Anyhow to me the crank looks the same as yours (fooked)
image.jpg

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And yours shows the same bit/chip missing by the side of the conrod, albeit the other side.

image.jpg

Edit: not really sure about the bit missing, it looks like it could be a lubricantion point as other FT cranks seem to have them, although gravedigger's upgraded crank does not have this/these bits
Btw have a good read of his post/build thread?
Cheers and good luck

Last edited:

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And yours shows the same bit/chip missing by the side of the conrod, albeit the other side.

View attachment 92565

Edit: not really sure about the bit missing, it looks like it could be a lubricantion point as other FT cranks seem to have them, although gravedigger's upgraded crank does not have this/these bits
Btw have a good read of his post/build thread?
Cheers and good luck

I read his thread. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Gravedigger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been fishing last week and don't have it back together. Need to order piston as it broke the skirt. Debating on replacing top end also.

The crank is definitely a lot better quality.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually if you send Bruce a PM, he will let you know if/when they will be getting more, or if there are still some available. Sometimes he can have them shipped directly to you.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've been fishing last week and don't have it back together. Need to order piston as it broke the skirt. Debating on replacing top end also.

The crank is definitely a lot better quality.

What crank did you get? Were your crank bearings okay?

Flyguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Is it possible that the rod bearing failures are from excess heat created by the rod rubbing on the side of the crank journal, and overheating the rod bearing? In other words, the crank/rod assembly being off center in the crank case, relative to the centerline of the cylinder. Its a long shot, and I am not sure how to accurately check for this condition other than visually on the rod journal after failure and teardown. Its odd that the rod bearings fail, but we don't see much in main bearing failures.
This is my first post here, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these Chi-Com MS660s. I have a box full of parts I got from HL Supply in my garage, awaiting assembly. BTW, all of the bags in my kit are marked Cross Performance. I thought that was odd, since I haven't seen that mentioned in any threads on here, or the countless Youtube videos I have watched on the subject.
I hope to learn much from the wealth of knowledge on this forum, and maybe someday be able to share some as well.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got from HL Supply in my garage, awaiting assembly. BTW, all of the bags in my kit are marked Cross Performance. I thought that was odd, since I haven't seen that mentioned

It has been mentioned, and yes, all the ones through HL Supply seem to have that packaging.

Welcome to the site. The quality control is not as good as OEM, so there will be some failures, but most of them seem to be holding up well, even with performance builds, and I have done some milling with mine.

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I tore the saw down completely tonight. When I did I noticed the worm gear was melted. I did not think too much of it at the time. I thought it was just an inferior gear and maybe rubbing. I checked the bearings in the crank case. The flywheel side feels good. The PTO side is a little rough. Then I noticed that the PTO side of the crank looks like it was a little warm, so the PTO side crank bearing was also on its way out.

al0Np8V.jpg

zhlGFFe.jpg

94BULLITT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Is it possible that the rod bearing failures are from excess heat created by the rod rubbing on the side of the crank journal, and overheating the rod bearing? In other words, the crank/rod assembly being off center in the crank case, relative to the centerline of the cylinder. Its a long shot, and I am not sure how to accurately check for this condition other than visually on the rod journal after failure and teardown. Its odd that the rod bearings fail, but we don't see much in main bearing failures.
This is my first post here, and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about these Chi-Com MS660s. I have a box full of parts I got from HL Supply in my garage, awaiting assembly. BTW, all of the bags in my kit are marked Cross Performance. I thought that was odd, since I haven't seen that mentioned in any threads on here, or the countless Youtube videos I have watched on the subject.
I hope to learn much from the wealth of knowledge on this forum, and maybe someday be able to share some as well.

The rod bearing failure is from an inferior bearing that starts to fail upon the first startup.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my Flying Tiger build thread, I stated that I would change the lower rod bearing if I could.

I need to check mine. Last time I ran the saw it felt like the AV was not working.