60 and 70cc saw opinions

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some front tensioners are fairly easy access, some aren't . When out in the woodcutting world convenience makes life easier. The weather sometimes is bad, hands cold, gloves, darkness coming on, things not going well trying to make up time, you need a chain adjustment, the easier, the better and less aggrevation.

Last edited:

pwheel

Finis Origine Pendet
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So with the new saws like the 572 and 462 what is everyone's opinions on the best 60 and 70cc saws available new on shelves offered now days?...
I will generally avoid running a saw that cuts faster than I can think... :eek: YMMV.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
life is too hard if you have to adjust a chain with a front tensioner i guess.

That’s what I was thinking. Maybe once a day you adjust the chain tension[emoji2371] I will say on a mill it’s annoying but I found ways around it pretty easy.

Johnny2186

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Truth. *f-word Stihl and Husqvarna and their overpriced junk. :D

The pull start even with the release pushed in is not up to par with others. These saws lack in the pull start and the flooding situation from the 7910, 7310 and 6421 from a cold start of the saws that I have owned was nothing but a pain in my arse. Honestly never seen any power advantage over a good muffler modded 460 either. Just my outlook on these saws, not that it agrees with anyone's on this board...just me. Please respect my own findings as I do yours. Pull the rope on my Huskies and stihls I've owned and cut. Pull the rope on the saws I mentioned and pulled the plug.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The pull start even with the release pushed in is not up to par with others. These saws lack in the pull start and the flooding situation from the 7910, 7310 and 6421 from a cold start of the saws that I have owned was nothing but a pain in my arse. Honestly never seen any power advantage over a good muffler modded 460 either. Just my outlook on these saws, not that it agrees with anyone's on this board...just me. Please respect my own findings as I do yours. Pull the rope on my Huskies and stihls I've owned and cut. Pull the rope on the saws I mentioned and pulled the plug.
I like my 044 and my 2 & 3 series Husqvarnas, but I think the 7900 is a superior saw. I’ve had a few of them and never once had a problem starting them. I currently have the 81cc Solo/7910 and it runs awesome.

My previous statement may have been hyperbole... but the point is that the Makita is a much better value for about the same performance as the others.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, having cut lots of wood with a 6400, 7301 and 7900... I’d have to politely disagree with that and question if there is something wrong with your saw? The only real weakness I have found with them is the oiler is stingy in hardwood with anymore than a 28” bar and the AV does not like to be pulled on hard when stuck. Both resolve able problems, mod the oiler if your running a bigger bar and try not to pry on the saw when it’s stuck lol. Other than that they are pretty bulletproof for what I do with them. A 7900 isn’t a 390xp with a long bar, and it isn’t a 462 with a 20” bar. But it’s a awesome 24-28” bar saw in hardwood, with more torque than the other 5 cube saws. Great value for the money.

Last edited:

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I consider the 462 to be the best 60cc saw available...:D
I think the ms400 is gonna give it a run.

Sorry to be “that guy”. Working on a 462 right now. My own ported 036, which is 20% less powerful than the ones others have, will run circles around it stock. And it weighs a pound or two less.

Sorry to be 'that guy' as well, but it's closer to half a pound difference. I think one of the factors in folks over estimating the weight in their hand is that some saws hold more fluids than others, or have different attachments(a good example is removing the 7th mount and outer dog on a 288xp lessens the PHO weight by nearly one pound). Or it just may be simple confirmation bias. Having said that, the 462 has a rather small fuel tank...

169172938.j4ipPMAI.462_backtroller.jpeg
154935597.nRN9q7wB.104.jpg

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d have to politely disagree with that and question if there is something wrong with your saw?
Nothing wrong with his old 7910, its the one in the picture. Fires right up and does a great job with a 28 just like you said, which is how I leave that one set up, its probably not even broke in yet. I have another large maple I need to drop and buck, I'll probably get another tank or two thru it.
I have others set up with 20-24 depending on what I'm doing.

dmb2613

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 is hard to beat, It cost more , other than that you cant beat it, powerful and light weight. Huskie has already stopped the big saws and it looks like they are not putting money into research on the others.
Just my opinion

Johnny2186

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with his old 7910, its the one in the picture. Fires right up and does a great job with a 28 just like you said, which is how I leave that one set up, its probably not even broke in yet. I have another large maple I need to drop and buck, I'll probably get another tank or two thru it.
I have others set up with 20-24 depending on what I'm doing.

I'm glad it's doing you well. It was a great saw except for the cold start it would flood on me sometimes. I have had the plug out of it more than once because of it being flooded. What oil mixture do you guys run in them? Just curious...With that said my 1st dollie was a 6400 and it never had a cold start issue with me and I ran more tanks through it than any other dollie I've ever owned. I have read somewhere about the newer saws in this line up having a tank vent ran into the carb and cold start flooding issues or something along that line. My memory isn't woth a ship on small issues like this so I could be dead wrong. It could have been my problem along with alot more problems I have....

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm glad it's doing you well. It was a great saw except for the cold start it would flood on me sometimes. I have had the plug out of it more than once because of it being flooded. What oil mixture do you guys run in them? Just curious...With that said my 1st dollie was a 6400 and it never had a cold start issue with me and I ran more tanks through it than any other dollie I've ever owned. I have read somewhere about the newer saws in this line up having a tank vent ran into the carb and cold start flooding issues or something along that line. My memory isn't woth a ship on small issues like this so I could be dead wrong. It could have been my problem along with alot more problems I have....
Probably not your fault if your 6400 ran well for you, something faulty maybe?

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks. I've never had an issue with it, I also don't use the decomp on them.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the ms400 is gonna give it a run.

Sorry to be 'that guy' as well, but it's closer to half a pound difference. I think one of the factors in folks over estimating the weight in their hand is that some saws hold more fluids than others, or have different attachments(a good example is removing the 7th mount and outer dog on a 288xp lessens the PHO weight by nearly one pound). Or it just may be simple confirmation bias. Having said that, the 462 has a rather small fuel tank...

169172938.j4ipPMAI.462_backtroller.jpeg
154935597.nRN9q7wB.104.jpg

Thanks for weighing, I appreciate you being “that guy”. I see 10 oz. difference as one scale looks set to pounds/decimal and one to pounds/oz.

The 036 is definitely more compact, it’s about the size of an MS261CM but heavier for sure.

The 462 is a Stihl that’s the size a 70cc saw should be.

My point was that an ported 036 will cost around 60% the cost of a 462-even a cherry one. It will be easier to fix if something goes wrong because it’s a ergonomic super low tech design. But I think you all got my point :).

The oiler on the 462 beats the unmodded 036 oiler hands down.

Last edited:

Farmchuck

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had an 036 but I do have both an ms360 & ms 361 . Are they built as well as an 036 or not so much? Both are stock saws with very few hours on them. If I were to modify one which would benefit the most? To be honest I bought them both new from a friend who was a Stihl dealer & was telling how much better built they were than the Husqvarna saws. I also own a early model 262 stock saw which runs nice & honestly after buying the 360 running it & then trying the 361 I went back to my 262. It seemed to have more power & just feels better in my hands. All 3 have 18” bars with 3/8” full chisel chain on them. I often feel like I should do something with one or both of them to make me want to grab them more when I go out to cut firewood. I suppose I could just sell them, probably have to many saws anyway.:)