60 and 70cc saw opinions

Johnny2186

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So with the new saws like the 572 and 462 what is everyone's opinions on the best 60 and 70cc saws available new on shelves offered now days? Looking into purchasing one in the near future possibly.

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
8:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At one point last summer when I was working, I actually had money, and the 462, 572's were available. Picked them up several times and fondled them. 462 felt overly light for the size of saw that it is, 572 felt heavy but well built. With all that in mind I fell back on a old well known standard and bought a cherry OE 365 special. I know those saws in and out, and I also know they lack the fun factor of buying into a new tech chainsaw. In the end, I'm always happier with a user adjustable carb and a saw that has less wiring, as most of the simple breakdowns I have fought have been related to chafed or wiring rubbing. All in all you couldn't go wrong with either 572 or 462, to me they are just too much of a good thing.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you want new, but a ported 262 Husky or 036 Stihl will cost you less (around half), likely last longer, and cost you maybe a gallon or 2 more fuel a year.

Sorry to be “that guy”. Working on a 462 right now. My own ported 036, which is 20% less powerful than the ones others have, will run circles around it stock. And it weighs a pound or two less.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know you want new, but a ported 262 Husky or 036 Stihl will cost you less (around half), likely last longer, and cost you maybe a gallon or 2 more fuel a year.

Sorry to be “that guy”. Working on a 462 right now. My own ported 036, which is 20% less powerful than the ones others have, will run circles around it stock. And it weighs a pound or two less.
Doc I couldn't agree more. Just did a too end on a 362c and ran it against a stock MS360 with loads of hours. The MS360 spanked the MS362c. I dunno if it was the Meteor top end but I don't want it.

The 562xp and 572xp run strong stock but I like a saw with only two pieces of wire: high tension for plug and a wire to ground the coil.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Doc I couldn't agree more. Just did a too end on a 362c and ran it against a stock MS360 with loads of hours. The MS360 spanked the MS362c. I dunno if it was the Meteor top end but I don't want it.

The 562xp and 572xp run strong stock but I like a saw with only two pieces of wire: high tension for plug and a wire to ground the coil.

It was the meteor top end.

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

In some cases there's one more - crankcase-switch ;)

Does that make You wait for next Echo 73cc? Couple wires, regular carb... Seems to match the description... Eh?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So with the new saws like the 572 and 462 what is everyone's opinions on the best 60 and 70cc saws available new on shelves offered now days? Looking into purchasing one in the near future possibly.

New on the shelf? Hmm... the 372xp while supply's last will be your bargain beater. Also can't rule out the 562xp.
If you want to step it up a bit to the larger end of the spectrum the MS461 and 576xp are still available I believe.
The MS462 and 572xp can have different price points, depending on where you find them at, pays to shop around.

Czed

Aluminium Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep I had a 562 and ported 262. I sold the 562 and still using the old school 262. If she ever dies I have enough stuff to build her twice over. Anything she can’t handle the ported 046 will
i rebuilt my friends 262 several time's
over the past 20 year's.
he picked up another just in case.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
of the newer saws
i like my ported 2166
@chipper1 has one for sale.
never cared for xt saws but i like this one.
i generally run a 266xp from 1986
new saws are not for me.
Thanks Dave.
I still have; a couple stock ones left as well as one with the squish set, transfers ground, and a muffler mod, and one with a full wrap, muffler mod, transfers ground.
My ported one has been fun too, may sell it later after I pull it down and gut the intake and filter holder.
I really see no reason to buy a 60cc saw with the 462 being so light except because orange is a much better color and because a 562 is a bit cheaper.
I like the 462 although I haven't played with it much, and the 572 is still in the box.
The OP has already tried the 7910 and owned a timing advanced and muffler modded 562 so he's familiar with those.
A 462 seems to run right with a 7910 but it's a good bit lighter. It has a narrower power band though, which I know he doesn't like, so the 572 is probably going to be more up his alley. But that being said the 7910 runs right there and doesn't have all the AT/MT stuff to be considered with(but you weren't happy with the 7910). The 576 is a good deal right now and with a base gasket delete and a muffler mod they run nice.

Pretty sure your gonna need one of each OP and you'll just trade or sell them off anyway so it doesn't matter much lol.
I'd like to get a deal on a ported 572, so you should grab one of them up and have it ported, let me know what you want to trade it for now and I'll be sure to get one around :p.
Too bad I didn't know you were in thee market, I'm right up the street, could have brought something down for you.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Gotta like those front tensioners :eek:, main reason I'd buy a 90cc stihl instead of a 395, that coming from a husky guy.
Fuel costs are only part of an equation, efficiency of cutting is much more important to me. The modern saws are much more efficient in that matter; captive bar nuts, flippy caps, quick clips/screws for the cover, better filtration, side tensioners better AV, return to run master switches, and not having to tune a saw are some of the reasons I like the MT/AT saws for work saws. For a firewood saw, a nice work ported saw with good AV and filtration makes for a good time getting wood cut.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta like those front tensioners :eek:, main reason I'd buy a 90cc stihl instead of a 395, that coming from a husky guy.
Fuel costs are only part of an equation, efficiency of cutting is much more important to me. The modern saws are much more efficient in that matter; captive bar nuts, flippy caps, quick clips/screws for the cover, better filtration, side tensioners better AV, return to run master switches, and not having to tune a saw are some of the reasons I like the MT/AT saws for work saws. For a firewood saw, a nice work ported saw with good AV and filtration makes for a good time getting wood cut.
Agree on maybe MT/AT, air filtration and the bar nuts. The autotune is the best thing since slice bread until it stops working which is rare, but then you are dead in your tracks and want to fix the saw with a BFH. It’s excellent if you need to lend someone a saw and it is nice to be worry free when cutting, but I still check tune out of habit anyway.

I’m used to old rubber AV on Stihl’s and actually prefer it. Mushy spring AV isn’t for me, but I don’t cut wood all day for a living like some do-I can see it’s merits for others.

Flippy caps were a step in the wrong direction, ever get a leg full of oil? The quick release top covers have to be that way because of design, I can pull the back off an old Stihl by twisting a knob 90*.

I’d never part with my 395, but I can’t stand front tensioners either. And I am a Stihl guy. There just isn’t a replacement for a good 395 for true production work IMHO.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agree on maybe MT/AT, air filtration and the bar nuts. The autotune is the best thing since slice bread until it stops working which is rare, but then you are dead in your tracks and want to fix the saw with a BFH. It’s excellent if you need to lend someone a saw and it is nice to be worry free when cutting, but I still check tune out of habit anyway.

I’m used to old rubber AV on Stihl’s and actually prefer it. Mushy spring AV isn’t for me, but I don’t cut wood all day for a living like some do-I can see it’s merits for others.

Flippy caps were a step in the wrong direction, ever get a leg full of oil? The quick release top covers have to be that way because of design, I can pull the back off an old Stihl by twisting a knob 90*.

I’d never part with my 395, but I can’t stand front tensioners either. And I am a Stihl guy. There just isn’t a replacement for a good 395 for true production work IMHO.
Yep, lots of things need to be considered as to what will make a saw work best for an individual or company, that's why its great to try a bunch, whether you buy them all, or make it to a gtg I think its important to get them in your hands.

Yeah stihl sure complicated those caps, and yes I've had the stain of shame :eek:. On AS my avatar was the stihl flippy cap directions for a while. Even though stihl missed the mark on the flippys, I think husky nailed it. I also prefer the husky captive nuts as they are much easier to get at than the stihls even though the stihl ones seem to be a more quality design, never had a problem with the husky version though.
One of the best things for me about the huskys is the handling, glad stihl is starting to get more of an angle on the handlebar these days. Getting some springs on the stihls is nice too, you get used to them if you have to run a saw very long, and appreciate them. I always liked my ported 361, great AV and the filtration was pretty good too, first husky like stihl made :clap2:. If my ported 440 had better AV I'd probably never sell it, as it is it wouldn't be to hard for someone to talk me out of it, and its a reliable and strong runner.

Glad I don't need a 395, I'd deal with it if I had to, but the ported 70s take care of everything I need to and if I had a job needing a big 90-120 I'd just buy one or pay a buddy to help. I sold my 660 couple springs ago and I haven't missed it much, even though it looked great sitting on the shelf.
Funny you being more of a stihl guy have the 395, and me being more into the huskys I have quite a few smaller stihls. Each brand seems to have their place in the market, I know I'm glad there are lots of choices, much like people all being different, it keeps things exciting :beer-toast1:.

Last edited:

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best value on the market for a 70cc saw is still the Makita 7900, easy to work on, new on eBay for a little over $700, but to me my ported 2156 and 357 is all I need. Save my back, and my wallet.
I agree, can't beat the quality for the price. Bummer they don't have a better parts network, the good thing is that they can be ordered online unlike some manufacturers.
I've got the OPs old 7910 at the house hanging with the others, what's not to like, great power and a nice wide power band, not the quickest revving in stock form but not always needed. They also have nice AV and do okay on fuel for an 80cc saw in a 70cc weight class, and they handle well too.
I think this is his old saw with a 28 on a maple takedown I did in the spring.
IMG_20190413_131736332.jpg