Country flag

thomas1

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Local time
3:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you measuring the IDs and ODs? Just curious if you're using 2 different measuring devices/methods. When .001-3" could be the difference between running fine and seizing, minute variations in measurements can make all the difference in the world.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How are you measuring the IDs and ODs? Just curious if you're using 2 different measuring devices/methods. When .001-3" could be the difference between running fine and seizing, minute variations in measurements can make all the difference in the world.
I used a bore gauge, and also checked with a caliper. Same reading, I measure the head in 4 places and got the same every time.

The jug varied a few thou

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
$hit Tom, never seen you post this much and not belittle somebody.

I'm kinda disappointed. :D

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used a bore gauge, and also checked with a caliper. Same reading, I measure the head in 4 places and got the same every time.

The jug varied a few thou

$hit Tom, never seen you post this much and not belittle somebody.

I'm kinda disappointed. :D

IDK if this is even relevant, but when we were apprentices, they beat into our heads that if it had to be right, or a few thou mattered, use a mic rather than a set of calipers.

I don't know the scale to say how much the dissimilar metals,(which obviously have different thermal growth rates) effect this, but I would think @ 2" & 3mm, this would be a factor.

If we were fooling with a 2" bore coupling, 250 degrees would be all it takes for a slip interference on something that is normally .002" under, & we all know the inside of that cylinder is indeed above 250 degrees during the ignition & burning of mix.

That is with some sort of Carbon Steel.

I think you've got 2 separate, but connected things going on here Deeter.

1. You're piston hadn't been heat cycled enough.

2. The Piston expanded faster than the rest of the cylinder, partially because the head is now acting as an insulator.

I'd wager a head saw, all other things being equal except for the head, will sustain a higher external temperature than a conventional cylinder.

If the external temp is higher, so is the internal. ( you could prove, or disprove this easily buy comparing after you get it put back together, & before port work.)

I know nothing about Head Saws.

This & $2 will get you a cup of truck stop Coffee.

Last edited:

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IDK if this is even relevant, but when we were apprentices, they beat into our heads that if it had to be right, or a few thou mattered, use a mic rather than a set of calipers.

I don't know the scale to say how much the dissimilar metals,(which obviously have different thermal growth rates) effect this, but I would think @ 2" & 3mm, this would be a factor.

If we were fooling with a 2" bore coupling, 250 degrees would be all it takes for a slip interference on something that is normally .002" under, & we all know the inside of that cylinder is indeed above 250 degrees during the ignition & burning of mix.

That is with some sort of Carbon Steel.

I think you've got 2 separate, but connected things going on here Deeter.

1. You're piston hadn't been heat cycled enough.

2. The Piston expanded faster than the rest of the cylinder, partially because the head is now acting as an insulator.

I'd wager a head saw, all other things being equal except for the head, will sustain a higher external temperature than a conventional cylinder.

If the external temp is higher, so is he internal. ( you could prove, or disprove this easily buy comparing after you get it put back together, & before port work.)

I know nothing about Head Saws.

This & $2 will get you a cup of truck stop Coffee.
I think a big part of it is the ring itself. It's a steel ring as opposed to a cast ring that we normally use.

@mdavlee had a very similar outcome with the same piston in one of his saws

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Would it be better to heat them in an oven so they get a few thermal cycles .......... somewhat before running ?
No, exhaust gas temps are north of 1100F I'm a properly tuned engine.

I'd be curious to know if there is a difference between the stock cast piston and the forged one on the skirt clearance. Forged should be a little loser compared to the cast if I remember right.
The main difference is in the crown. More material so more expansion. Forging makes the material more dense so it expands more when heated.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think a big part of it is the ring itself. It's a steel ring as opposed to a cast ring that we normally use.

@mdavlee had a very similar outcome with the same piston in one of his saws
Yep. It may have started eating the plating and then done the same thing.