6 cube 066

Billy Currie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Did you ever get this thing figured out? Just my opinion, and by the looks of it you have had a dozen or so already, but it looks like you over temped it. Combination of higher compression, advanced ignition timing, and low octane fuel. I would be running 108 at a minimum with what I have seen here. The outer diameter of the piston at the crown above the ring, I have seen some people turn down that diameter about 0.002" to allow for more expansion due to elevated heat temps, but I'm not sure if that would have worked for you. If this saw was on alcohol this more than likely would have never happed.

Now I have to go run down some of that KFC with the magical herbs and spices.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you ever get this thing figured out? Just my opinion, and by the looks of it you have had a dozen or so already, but it looks like you over temped it. Combination of higher compression, advanced ignition timing, and low octane fuel. I would be running 108 at a minimum with what I have seen here. The outer diameter of the piston at the crown above the ring, I have seen some people turn down that diameter about 0.002" to allow for more expansion due to elevated heat temps, but I'm not sure if that would have worked for you. If this saw was on alcohol this more than likely would have never happed.

Now I have to go run down some of that KFC with the magical herbs and spices.
There has been quite a few Stihl jugs destroyed by these 1mm steel rings. The plating just doesn’t hold up. Stihl doesn’t use nicasil, I got the jug replated and am confident that I’m in good shape now.

I’ve seen saws with higher comp run less octane with zero issues.

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
This is really interesting, what are the head studs made out of?

Also, I have built MANY cranes and mining shovels for P&H, where'd ya get all the signs?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is really interesting, what are the head studs made out of?

Also, I have built MANY cranes and mining shovels for P&H, where'd ya get all the signs?
Just nickel plated threaded rod. I later got some long cap screws for head bolts.

I install and take down overhead cranes. Lots of old P&H’s

Wisconsin Welder

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Just nickel plated threaded rod. I later got some long cap screws for head bolts.

Any chance, because the whole jug is normally held down by four, short little SHCS, and now the head is holding the whole *s-word down with much longer sections of threaded rod that they are loosing their stretch when they warm up?

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any chance, because the whole jug is normally held down by four, short little SHCS, and now the head is holding the whole *s-word down with much longer sections of threaded rod that they are loosing their stretch when they warm up?
When you build an unlimited hot saw, they use a head with studs. Lot more strength than just bolts through a thin cast aluminum flange.

Darryll

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
WOW! Seriously nice work Deets! Thank you for sharing. It is light years from anything I will ever build but great to see in detail.