Reaction score
Country flag

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
10:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
And the piston is also getting cooled from underneath at the same time the egts are trying to heat it from above. Crown temps are no where near 1000 degrees Sir.
My main point was that heat cycling a piston in an oven is pointless because the higher temperatures the piston is exposed to in the combustion chamber. Does the piston metal temp actually get to 1100-1200 degrees? In some cases they do. I wasn't saying g the actual metal temp was 1100. Maybe not in an air cooled saw but without an EGT you wouldn't even have a ball park idea. Guys on sleds can run a little over 1200F EGT without melting a piston but those are water cooled engines.

If you guys put a EGT on a saw I think it would be awesome. There's probably no info out there on egt's for saws.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
. Maybe not in an air cooled saw but without an EGT you wouldn't even have a ball park idea.

Wade, I kind of think that we actually do

Piston wash: If the crown was getting above the temps youre talking about, we wouldnt see residual oil as wetness and we definately wouldnt be able to wipe the tarry mess off of some of the pistons posted in this forum like we can.

EGT doesnt tell us crown temps, egt just tells us the temperatures of the exhaust gasses

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
EGT doesnt tell us crown temps, egt just tells us the temperatures of the exhaust gasses
We are in agreement on this.

The fact is, the temp of a piston crown varies greatly (stating the obvious). You could be tuned right to the very harry edge of the Pope's lip and have 1300F EGT and start to melt the edge of the crown while the intake side is no where near that temp.
Back to my original point, heat cycling a piston in an oven is useless and won't even get hot enough to simulate the temperatures occuring in a combustion chamber. That's all I was saying. Nothing more complicated.