Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

572xp vid, you guys see this one yet??

Discussion in 'Chainsaws' started by RIDE-RED 350r, Dec 10, 2017.

1. Armbru84

Armbru84 Pinnacle OPE Member

Looks to be oiling plenty. Running down the side of the bar at the end of one vid.

Wolverine, huskyboy and XP_Slinger like this.
  2. MustangMike

MustangMike ONE OF THE GREATEST!

Everyone says the 12 mm 044s and 440s are stronger than the 10 mm 044s, but I've had a 10 mm since 12/92, and for 18 years it was my only saw, and I've also milled with it.

I changed seals once, but has all orig bearings, piston + rings.

My point is, if it is built strong enough not to break (if you take care of it), then you don't need something that is built stronger. I think most bearing failures are from lack of lubrication, and if your bearing does not get proper lubrication they will fail no matter how large they are.

And if you think over a pound of saw weight does not make any difference, then I would guess you are not nimble enough to go where I have gone. Just something to think about while you are crapping!

Big_6, RIDE-RED 350r and XP_Slinger like this.
  3. XP_Slinger

XP_Slinger I like saws...sometimes

A little over a pound separates the 346XP and 357XP. Significant on paper? Yes. A big deal...no. Just my opinion in my current physical condition. I’d love to own either one of these new badasses.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Sty57, Adamski, sawmikaze and 8 others like this.
  4. concretegrazer

concretegrazer Pinnacle OPE Member

If there wasn't a problem with durability then why did stihl beef them up? Sure wasn't so they could say they had a heavier saw.

mdavlee, huskyboy, XP_Slinger and 3 others like this.
  5. MustangMike

Maybe some were built better than others, maybe they were vulnerable to a light ratio mix, and I always made sure my mix was not light.

I'm not exactly sure, it is a good question, but mine is not the only one that has stood the test of time. There are still a lot of them out there, so the problem must not have been real common.

6. MustangMike

Also, perhaps I don't keep pushing a saw with a dull chain like a lot of pros will do. That creates extra heat and could lead to failures.

7. RIDE-RED 350r

RIDE-RED 350r ONE OF THE GREATEST!

Hard not to suspect the "factory recommended" 50:1 mix ratios being associated with bottom end troubles in ANY brand. That oil is the life blood of every moving part in the engine. Why skimp on it?? Because the people that routinely protest the cutting of trees in the first place don't like the smoke?? Well, they can piss off! 32:1 for me, even if I end up with an AT saw at some point!

And yeah, those boys in the first vids posted by Derf can piss-rev a saw like it's their job! LOL!

That 572/462 shootout was cool! VERY close indeed :)

8. concretegrazer

concretegrazer Pinnacle OPE Member

Gotta overenginer for stupidity for sure.

9. sawmikaze

sawmikaze Stihl Runner.

Mike, I've Been in some ignorant ass terrain putting 45-60 trees down a day.

A pound of saw weight is absolutely nothing and totally blown out of proportion by the girls on these forums.

10. maulhead

maulhead Pinnacle OPE Member

11. MustangMike

Then why do you own 50 + 60 cc saws??? Why don't you just run a 395 all day long big boy! What you say and what you do often seem to be in different universes.

But I know, your a pro and I'm not, so you know best!

12. sawmikaze

sawmikaze Stihl Runner.

Because I match the tool for the job...lol...what you typed made no sense..the usual..lol.

And IF I had to carry a 395 all day and cut wood that warranted 90 cc saw i would, and I don't think I'd cry about it on a chainsaw forum and tell a love story about it.

I don't cry about a pound difference in a chainsaw...you tulip lol.

What did I say and do that makes no sense lol..you are one odd mfer'.

13. maulhead

maulhead Pinnacle OPE Member

I need to go make more popcorn...

14. Derf

Derf Pinnacle OPE Member

A summary:

“These saws are so similar, it comes down to a choice of color.”

“But wait the Stihl is lighter!”

“Who cares, the husky is cheaper and has rev boost. Buy a light weight bar with your savings.”

“Stihl has elasto start and the better dealer support network.”

“Well the husky has bigger bearings!”

“It doesn’t matter if your bearings aren’t lubricated enough.”

“What’s the best oil ratio?”

And a thread on the excitement for Husqvarna’s long awaited replacement 70cc saw turns into a Stihl pissing contest and devolves into an oil debate. Lol. Where’s my beer?

I know it isn’t a fair comparison. But I’d love to run a 572xp vs a 462cm vs a 440/460 hybrid vs the old 372xpw.

Discuss.

15. XP_Slinger

XP_Slinger I like saws...sometimes

That would be an interesting test. But then everything you typed above would happen again.

MustangMike, Dub11 and mdavlee like this.
  16. mdavlee

mdavlee Hillbilly grinder

The full time users were having problems with them living a full year if I remember correctly. There was some guys out west that won't port 10mm saws.

I've never noticed a lb on a saw

Sty57, Tor R, sawmikaze and 7 others like this.
  17. RIDE-RED 350r

RIDE-RED 350r ONE OF THE GREATEST!

Sorry, didn't mean to steer us toward an oil thread...any time I hear about "bottom end" what I posted above comes to mind.

I can't help but think of roller bearing crank bearings in nitro RC engines...they turn waaaaay more RPM than any chainsaw could dream about, and those bearings are tiny compared to saws. I know, all things in perspective between a saw and an RC engine with rotating mass and mass of the piston and whatnot..just a point that bigger doesn't necessarily mean more able to do the job under high RPM. Lubrication is key

18. huskyboy

huskyboy Sorta a Husqvarna guy.

I think the larger bearings will handle the stress of a longer bar better/last longer. I’m no engineer though, just my opinion.

Tor R, sawmikaze, MustangMike and 4 others like this.
  19. Armbru84

Armbru84 Pinnacle OPE Member

I am...in theory they should

20. Derf

Derf Pinnacle OPE Member

This here video is from a very respected pro logger who also does port work. He knows his chit, the sheer amount of knowledge he has rolling around in his head is worth your time. The part I'd like you to hear starts right at 21:24 where he talks about the 6202 vs 6203 bearings. "They (the 372xp) are pretty bullet proof. Probably the weak link in the 372 would be the small drive-side bearing. Its a 6202 instead of a 6203, which these two (Dolmar PS7900 and Stihl MS461) are fitted with. They both have the small bearing on the flywheel side, which is pretty normal. Like I said, the weak link in that saw, for me, what I've noticed over the years is the drive-side bearing. If you have a failure, that's generally it."

Running a long bar, you put a lot more strain on the drive-side bearing, especially if your chain is dull and you're trying to push it. Husqvarna is addressing that weakness and beefing up the bearing. It isn't groundbreaking new or different, but they are managing to do things like lighten the flywheel and shave material to keep the over-all weight down.

Also, right at 20:35, he mentions the Dolmar anti-vib system. "The spring mounts are kind of weak. If you're not a finesse kind of guy you might be tearing those up a lot, especially if you're running a long bar and trying to horse it around."

Just thought it was relevant that the old Stihl design was a rubber bushing, and now, like Husqvarna and Dolmar, they are moving to springs. The question will be is it floppy or stiff, and how they hold up to long bars.