shadco

Ban Hammer Custodian
Local time
9:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Title should have read screwy screws

So husky has gone to torx on these newer saws but I have never seen torx like this.

Is this problematical?

screwy.jpg

Last edited:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
4:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No, those are the self tapping safety(ish) screws that are in the transfer port covers. Most T-drivers will have at least one end with a hole which allows you to remove screws like that.

They are also found on some car electronics and air intake systems in the auto industry. You don't want to remove those unless there is an absolute need...like porting. :D

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wouldn't wanna fry the sausage.

There's a rubber o-ring that goes around the perimeter of that cap. Sometimes they break, and you can't buy a new o-ring without purchasing a new cylinder. Normally I don't even take the covers off when I port them, unless it's a model with a restrictor in them

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There's a rubber o-ring that goes around the perimeter of that cap. Sometimes they break, and you can't buy a new o-ring without purchasing a new cylinder. Normally I don't even take the covers off when I port them, unless it's a model with a restrictor in them

I had a bad screw and a broken seal on a beater 550 of mine. I Yamabonded it and slotted the screw. It seemed to hold up pretty good.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a bad screw and a broken seal on a beater 550 of mine. I Yamabonded it and slotted the screw. It seemed to hold up pretty good.
If i do remove them, I feel a lot better installing them with a little something extra just for insurance

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couldnt hurt right?
Well, that depends. I saw a pic on AS where the guy did a base gasket delete and squirted a bead of silicone onto the base right from from the tube. Apparently it didn't run very well, and he took pictures on disassembly. There was a quarter inch bead of goo all the way around the inside of the cylinder LOL. I just smear a little tiny bit on my finger and rub it around. Just so it's wet.

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, that depends. I saw a pic on AS where the guy did a base gasket delete and squirted a bead of silicone onto the base right from from the tube. Apparently it didn't run very well, and he took pictures on disassembly. There was a quarter inch bead of goo all the way around the inside of the cylinder LOL. I just smear a little tiny bit on my finger and rub it around. Just so it's wet.
Lol! Ok no silicone! Gotcha!

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If i do remove them, I feel a lot better installing them with a little something extra just for insurance

Me too Kev. Too many years of working on jets/jet engines to trust that little seal to be in the right place. I've seen a lot of pinched o-rings.