572 updates

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
9:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing new there, husky and stihl been doing those type of bearings for a long time. Which I too think is going in the wrong direction imho. We need to go back to the setup of the 394/395xp two bearings and two seals that are the same. Simple.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing new there, husky and stihl been doing those type of bearings for a long time. Which I too think is going in the wrong direction imho. We need to go back to the setup of the 394/395xp two bearings and two seals that are the same. Simple.

While that is handy for us I think the bearing with seal thing cut 3 minutes off assembly time at the factory.

Last edited:

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should I change my pic to a monkey, because then my opinions are better ;)
I my memory the 372 is lighter, or is the last version heavier then the older ones?
X-torqs are heavier than the OEs. They also have the strato piston which is significantly heavier than the OE pistons.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
3:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I still believe in the KISS aproach, that's why the 2 and 3 series saws are still so popular. At the end of the day, these are tools, less moving parts = less problems.

I agree Dustin. I just ordered some Dolmar parts out of Germany and received the 2019 catalogs for all power tools Dolmar and Makita.

It really looks like Makita is leaning toward the hi-tech side as everything has bluetooth and wi-fi capability. Seems like a lot of unnecessary breakable gadgets to me.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The original 371xp started out at the same paper spec weight as a 462 (13lbs) in 1996. Over the years they gained weight from strengthened cases and whatnot. The xtorq came out around 2012 with a completely different topend and intake tract on basically the same chassis. The handle bar and plastics were taller to clear the different cylinder. This added some weight. The xt is a good work saw with some added low end grunt over the oe. I wouldn’t spool one up as high no load as a oe with that heavier piston, there’s a reason why they have a lower rpm limited coil.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dude if it wasn’t done by one of the weight authorities on this forum it has to be false!!!! :rolleyes:

If you look at the title of the web page Neal Murphy and I started eight years back, it states clearly that it is 'unofficial'. We're not pretending to be any sort of authority. And many images I have there seem to occasionally dispute some other images - I've included both for posterity. We created the gallery because of the huge amount of hearsay and misinformation regarding saw weights(which still exist to this day). Still, the only way to even remotely fairly compare them is to weigh the PHO empty by itself with the clutch cover attached to eliminate most variables.

https://pbase.com/wyk/unofficial_chainsaw_weight_gallery

When I made a statement regarding the weight of a G model 572, it was because it is within half a pound of my own 288XP that I've weighed myself. To others, it makes no difference. But, for me personally, if I have to use a saw in the field I would rather it had the weight of a 70cc saw and the power of a 90cc saw than for it to be nearly the opposite.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at the title of the web page Neal Murphy and I started eight years back, it states clearly that it is 'unofficial'. We're not pretending to be any sort of authority. And many images I have there seem to occasionally dispute some other images - I've included both for posterity. We created the gallery because of the huge amount of hearsay and misinformation regarding saw weights(which still exist to this day). Still, the only way to even remotely fairly compare them is to weigh the PHO empty by itself with the clutch cover attached to eliminate most variables.

https://pbase.com/wyk/unofficial_chainsaw_weight_gallery

When I made a statement regarding the weight of a G model 572, it was because it is within half a pound of my own 288XP that I've weighed myself. To others, it makes no difference. But, for me personally, if I have to use a saw in the field I would rather it had the weight of a 70cc saw and the power of a 90cc saw than for it to be nearly the opposite.
So a “G” model of the 288 (if there is one) wouldn’t be heavier than the normal version? Just like any other “G” saw? :rolleyes:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read somewhere that the average 35+ year old US male is carrying around the equivalent weight of 1.5 bricks in his colon from eating processed foods.

So, I guess if everybody just gets a thorough colon cleansing, the added weight of these saws won't seem so bad. :D

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So a “G” model of the 288 (if there is one) wouldn’t be heavier than the normal version? Just like any other “G” saw? :rolleyes:

I also stated in my original post I am awaiting a standard PHO only weight on the 572 to post up. I would hope the G model 572 weighs more than the standard does.
Another thing I feel I must add is that I have no horse in this race. I only keep the gallery for posterity. You can peruse the images without any need for commentary. They speak for themselves.

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
8:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I read somewhere that the average 35+ year old US male is carrying around the equivalent weight of 1.5 bricks in his colon from eating processed foods.

So, I guess if everybody just gets a thorough colon cleansing, the added weight of these saws won't seem so bad. :D
Maybe juse pee or take a chit before running the saw :D

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I read somewhere that the average 35+ year old US male is carrying around the equivalent weight of 1.5 bricks in his colon :D

So does this mean that the average ope user is carrying around the equivalent of 3 bricks in their colon?:risas3:

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So does this mean that the average ope user is carrying around the equivalent of 3 bricks in their colon?:risas3:

Or even more considering the amounts of vienna sausages, spam, canned sardines, etc., that have been consumed over the years during firewooding trips. :cbiggrin: