kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are there any aftermarket dual ring pistons for this saw?
Its just a great size for milling with the mini mill and a 20” bar for making small lumber, but the lack of a second ring doesn’t work well with heat dissipation.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
2:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love a 562, but honestly I'd look for a different model if excess heat was a concern for my intended use. I apologize for the off topic response.

You could possibly get one of these cats with a lathe to cut a second land in, and then press in a pin.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I haven't seen a dual-ring piston for 555/562, and I think due to the configuration (with the cut-outs for strato) none of the aftermarket companies have attempted to produce a dual-ring piston.

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've never seen a 2 ring piston for this saw. I think it would mess with all the goofy ports and stuff in the cylinder and on the piston

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not needed, ran plenty of 066, 084, and 288 xp with one ring or one ring on a 2 ring piston. Did plenty of long cuts, sometimes ripping oversize 16 foot butt logs

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Please elaborate.

Basically what JJ said. Im not up on what all the cutouts and such are on the piston or cylinder, buth there are alot of them.
rs=w:600,h:600
OIP.CFUN3RiMYBzAnW-u7BtqRwHaHa

Bad pic of the cylinder but P/C both have alot of ports and cutouts that I would have to imagine match up just perfectly. If you look at the piston, you couldn't even fit another ring slot without moving the first one up further. From what I have read. The inside of these saws is like a balancing act. There isn't alot of tolerance to change stuff anywhere

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not needed, ran plenty of 066, 084, and 288 xp with one ring or one ring on a 2 ring piston. Did plenty of long cuts, sometimes ripping oversize 16 foot butt logs

Just curious, whats 1 ring on a 2 ring piston do? Any advantages or disadvantages?

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You should search some stuff out before asking.

I get the whole less heat thing and less friction. I guess what i was trying to say was why do you use a 1 ring on a 2 ring piston. Milling or..?

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get the whole less heat thing and less friction. I guess what i was trying to say was why do you use a 1 ring on a 2 ring piston. Milling or..?
Quite often when going to a single ring it’s because of the port and ring pin locations after porting.

Fullkip

Timber Faller/Saw Porter/Hunting Guide
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your having heat issues with your 562 have your muffler gutted and dual ported. There a pita to do but keep things much cooler.
I would think 562s are kinda high strung for milling...

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1 ring vs 2 will be a Ford vs Chevy debate for eternity. I believe that part of 2 rings was a marketing ploy for Stihl at one point.

Usually, Husky have one 1.5mm ring vs a Stihl’s 2 x 1.2mm rings. I’ve never noted any difference in performance or heat exchange with either. The centered single pin over the intake port allows for easy port layout. I’ve also run/built many a Stihl using only a top ring with zero detriment in work or fun saw use.

More ring area causes more parasitic loss. I’m not buying the heat transfer issue with rings. Steel is a poor conductor of heat. I find it tough to digest that the cooling of an 80 gram aluminum piston is dependent upon 1-2mm of metal contact with the cylinder wall and not via the excellent heat conduction of the aluminum alloy itself. The charge is what cools the piston, not the rings. That’s why Stihl added that little bridge in the 461-the slug didn’t get enough flow through it with the front location of the lowers.

As for milling, I wouldn’t pick a 562 either. Zippy little saws (when they work) with known heat soak issues.

BangBang77

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
We were created with 2 ears and 1 mouth. By design. The FBI would call that a clue...

@cuinrearview - EDIT - agreeing with you, not calling you out man. :facepalm:

Last edited:

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well i did a top end clean up while putting on my new 562 filter setup. Pulled the jug and inspected, everything looked really good except for carbon on underside of piston head indicating to me that the piston is getting too hot. Slight discolouration of the pin as well.
Ill keep running it cause its the best option right now but ill stick it on 6-8” or less boards.

what do you think sawman?

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 562's run hot in the best conditions, it's definitely not a saw I'd put on a mill, and I would absolutely run 32:1. But a guy has to use what he has, I get that.

2 ring vs 1 ring? Maybe a little piston stability, maybe she will hold compression a little longer, but it's really not necessary and it does create more friction and drag, I don't care one way or another, unless I what to go faster, than out comes the bottom ring.

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:29 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not the same saw, but a case I need to report. Five years ago I was rebuilding the top end of an Echo CS-500EVI that takes two rings and I broke one. I gambled and left the upper ring on, lower ring off. That saw runs fine today with 150 psi compression. So, I have to agree with Andyshine77.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 42mm OEM piston off of ebay. There was no description just a part number. Bailey's has it mis-labeled as a 345/346OE piston so I bought it. I was confused when I opened the box and saw two ring grooves. I did some more searching and found that it's actually for a 345rx. It is dimensionally the same as a 346 piston though so i intend to use it with one thin ring on my next OE build.