High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

550xp at my work has apparently bitten the dust

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I'd like to discuss this with you fellas. Our 550xp is a 2014 model and lately had been giving us some trouble refusing to start. All of us who run saws at work know the "hot start procedure", I made sure of that personally. My boss is not a real quick mover on things, and I sought permission to take it to the dealer we got it from and have it checked for needed firmware update about two years ago. Well finally about a month ago he relented and it was taken to the dealer.

So, the dealer tells me the saw is all apart with a pretty well scored piston and cylinder and the bearings seem "pretty tight and crusty". I was surprised to hear this, we are pretty faithful in keeping filters and the saws in general clean, but they do see some heavy use in very hot weather. I couldn't really make an estimate of hours on this saw.

I haven't gone to get the saw back yet so I haven't laid eyes on it but I've been pondering on it anyway wondering if a missed firmware update could be the cause?? Or how about the fact that we have been running 50:1 mix despite my advice to the boss to run 32:1??? Like I said, the boss is very slow to action when it comes to change of any kind.

Right now he is considering cutting our losses with our 550xp and just getting a new one. Being a municipality, we can get it pretty cheap on bid and being tax free.. I was told $450 ballpark.

What are you guys thoughts?? We just bought a 555 last winter and I'm hoping this isn't considered "normal service life" for an AT saw. I think I'm gonna just start mixing 40:1 or 32:1 whether the boss likes it or not.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I'd like to discuss this with you fellas. Our 550xp is a 2014 model and lately had been giving us some trouble refusing to start. All of us who run saws at work know the "hot start procedure", I made sure of that personally. My boss is not a real quick mover on things, and I sought permission to take it to the dealer we got it from and have it checked for needed firmware update about two years ago. Well finally about a month ago he relented and it was taken to the dealer.

So, the dealer tells me the saw is all apart with a pretty well scored piston and cylinder and the bearings seem "pretty tight and crusty". I was pretty surprised to hear this, we are pretty faithful in keeping filters and the saws in general clean, but they do see some heavy use in very hot weather. I couldn't really make an estimate of hours on this saw.

I haven't gone to get the saw back yet so I haven't laid eyes on it but I've been pondering on it anyway wondering if a missed firmware update could be the cause?? Or how about the fact that we have been running 50:1 mix despite my advice to the boss to run 32:1??? Like I said, the boss is very slow to action when it comes to change of any kind.

Right now he is considering cutting our losses with our 550xp and just getting a new one. Being a municipality, we can get it pretty cheap on bid and being tax free.. I was told $450 ballpark.

What are you guys thoughts?? We just bought a 555 last winter and I'm hoping this isn't considered "normal service life" for an AT saw. I think I'm gonna just start mixing 40:1 or 32:1 whether he likes it or not.
Flocked or yellow mesh filter?

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Joe sounds like the one I picked up last year. Scored from strato to strato but not right in front of the intake. Only thing I could find leaking was the decomp. @Spike60 flashed the carb for me and said 55 hours and didnt find anything out of whack with the fuel info. Post pics when you get it back. With new top ends being so cheap right now see if you can grab it? Here's the piston from mine. Why the heck do the pics show up sideways?
c2f85737cc9306ef66291fec83d9446f.jpg
cb53e77a8869a2af0a0f47c722fc36b9.jpg
e55bfff982fa0b6807d5d60b56f5b0e3.jpg
8b359f438e4ec377c42d61fc4ae2e756.jpg

Last edited:

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score

So, the dealer tells me the saw is all apart with a pretty well scored piston and cylinder and the bearings seem "pretty tight and crusty". I was pretty surprised to hear this, we are pretty faithful in keeping filters and the saws in general clean, but they do see some heavy use in very hot weather. I couldn't really make an estimate of hours on this saw.

What are you guys thoughts?? We just bought a 555 last winter and I'm hoping this isn't considered "normal service life" for an AT saw. I think I'm gonna just start mixing 40:1 or 32:1 whether he likes it or not.
Hi Joe
The Hrs in the saws memory would be of interest firstly along with the other running info. This will tell you much about how the engine has been running and will give posable clues to its demise more than guess work . This oil mix ratio situation is alway a bone of contention !! ..BUT.. Husqvarna produce a saw designed to run on 50:1 "Full Synthetic" oil mix or a Alkylate fuel with fully synthetic oil in it. You would only be doing what they say using ether of those two mixes.
Heat is the enemy of the 550, along with poor fuel , wrong grade oils, abuse and poor maintenance ! ..some or none may apply.
The saw has the best part of 4 yrs on it with the heavy use mentioned in hot conditions so its earn't its money in the commercial world timescale unless the Hrs on the saw say otherwise.
What the dealer has found ..Now.. is not how the saw has "always" been ,its just how it has ended up ..now.. at the point of failing. Sure it could have had 2 updates but it was capable of running as it left production back in 2014 !
If you get a good deal being a "Municipality" then i suggest the saw has done its time and should have been written down by now.
A 2018 550 xp with all the improvements is the way forward in my opinion.

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree Simon.

To answer a couple of your questions posted, we use the Husqvarna brand black bottle mix oil. As to the fuel quality, we have our own gasoline and diesel pumps at work and buy in bulk. Here is another bit of advice I gave my boss that went in one ear and out the other... We buy gasoline with 10% ethanol. I have pleaded with him to switch to non ethanol gasoline because we have several saws, wedeaters, and commercial mowers that it's used for. I just get a blank look and nothing is changed. I hope I am the one sent to pick up a new 550 and if I go, I will ask the dealer to plug into the old 550s AT and see what info it holds. I think a new saw is the way to go, especially with the price my work can get it for. A new cylinder kit, bearings, seals, gaskets will be nearly 50% of replacement cost.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I agree Simon.

To answer a couple of your questions posted, we use the Husqvarna brand black bottle mix oil. As to the fuel quality, we have our own gasoline and diesel pumps at work and buy in bulk. Here is another bit of advice I gave my boss that went in one ear and out the other... We buy gasoline with 10% ethanol. I have pleaded with him to switch to non ethanol gasoline because we have several saws, wedeaters, and commercial mowers that it's used for. I just get a blank look and nothing is changed. I hope I am the one sent to pick up a new 550 and if I go, I will ask the dealer to plug into the old 550s AT and see what info it holds. I think a new saw is the way to go, especially with the price my work can get it for. A new cylinder kit, bearings, seals, gaskets will be nearly 50% of replacement cost.
As I understand it Joe, 10% ethanol is about the MAX content we encounter here in the UK, and im not 100% sure of that (so many opinions float about !! ) . I still encounter fuel problems in customer equipment even with our lower E content i should point out.
Just keeping any fuel hanging around , mixed or not , high E or not, is never a good idea as you know.
It would be a smart thing to " Adopt " a new 550 xp :D
Whats in that old saws memory is more use than anything now the Tech has stripped down the saw...pressure and vac test "possibly "not done, before the strip so the pile of bits may now not show up any faults ??

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I agree 100%

I just got off the phone with the dealer, he is going to plug in and write down the info held in the AT module. I'm anxious to know what it holds.

Funny thing about it is that the only symptom was occasional refusal to start. Once running, it ran great.

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree Simon.

I grabbed one of these that was taken in on trade in Maine. The guy didn't even look into the saw, he simply offered it as a parts saw on eBay.

I already had a NIB carb for it--2018 model. The piston was scored and the cylinder had some aluminum transfer, but I managed to clean it up pretty easily.

My saw is also a 2014 model and had been used heavily, and was rarely cared for. I will have the download done on the old carb to see what info it holds.

I've already programmed the new one and the saw is ready to reassemble. The bearings were good and I threw in new seals. Total for saw and parts is around $200 in my case.

Worst part of these saws, IMO, is the airleaks and sequence of reassembly. If you don't put some of the pieces back together in order, you have to start over again and take it back apart.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:42 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The transfer gasket is always a 'suspect' on the 550. They are highly strung little factory racers livin on the edge, a little more oil & E-free gas are both good ideas.