500i video

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s how I always shopped for saws. I watched videos, ported videos and used it to decide if I was interested. I also kept up with who had what and would ask them about said model. Last step is to ask my builder, y’all may find this hard to believe but randy @Mastermind has talked me out of more than one saw purchase being my voice of reason keeping cad in check. I’ve bought several from Spike60, I bought a nos 3120xp from tlandrum, other than that it was always private deals on the sites. I have never bought a saw or even gone in to a local dealer and handled a saw.
Videos help without a doubt, especially from those I trust and know aren't fanboys. Even than I now prefer to go to a gtg and get my hands on a saw and run it, I have been dissipated in highly touted saws numerous times. Sometimes though you just have to go for it, you can always sell later, especially Stihl saws, people will pay almost whatever you ask for those.

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The 7900 is not a heavy saw![emoji57] and a 661 will never be close to the size of a 462 even if the the weight gets reduced. Having a 661 that small and light would make it usless with a bar over say 24" IMHO.

I did not say it would be close to a 462 in size. I said an upsized 462, as in design queues. A 661 that weighs 9% less. That's not exactly saying a 462 will get a super big bore cylinder. Anyone in a sound state of mind would take it a little nose heavy to get rid of unnecessary fat.

Why some folks just take diarrhea of the finger tips I will never know

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The choice of bar length and weight have so much to do with balance. I spring for light bars for anything 28" or more. (not as important on 90+ cc saws).

I remember the inboard/outboard clutch debate. To me, you just move your hand on the top handle 1" to the right and they are the same, but no, no, no, the inboard clutch had inherent traits that made it like a light saber. And then I read how one of Husky's top guys in that evergreen limbing competition choose one of their saws with an outboard clutch for his competitions … and I just said to myself "OK … make sense of this if internal is so much better".

They also went on about internal putting less stress on the bearing … but wait, why then are Stihls more durable???

I'm glad they make them both ways, so people can choose what they want.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I did not say it would be close to a 462 in size. I said an upsized 462, as in design queues. A 661 that weighs 9% less. That's not exactly saying a 462 will get a super big bore cylinder. Anyone in a sound state of mind would take it a little nose heavy to get rid of unnecessary fat.

Why some folks just take diarrhea of the finger tips I will never know
A nose heavy saw can create fatigue just as much as a heavy power head. Balance is important. I ran a 462 and a 572 back to back with 28" B&C and to be honest, the 462 felt awful it was so unbalanced, not to mention the aweful AV. Yes Stihl fanboys are a dime a dozen.[emoji8]

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don't care what name is written on anything, I will always call it how I see it, which means someone will always be getting butthurt. It's just comical watching guys argue over specifications and YouTube videos, without having even seeing what their arguing about.[emoji16] Get your hands on the tool first IMHO. If I had to guess, both of the new saws from Stihl and Husqvarna are going to be well liked, but in different applications IMHO. I see the 572 being preferred out west with longer bars, and the 462 with shorter bars in the eastern U.S. and in Europe.[emoji111] I also hope the wrap handle 462 will have stiffer AV, as the AV on the half wemrap saw was just not right, in the back of my mind I even wonder if something wasn't broken on the 462 I ran.

Last edited:

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A nose heavy saw can create fatigue just as much as a heavy power head. Balance is important. I ran a 462 and a 572 back to back with 28" B&C and to be honest, the 462 felt awful it was so unbalanced, not to mention the aweful AV. Yes Stihl fanboys are a dime a dozen.[emoji8]

I do love my Stihls, but I'm no where near a "fanboy". I dont drink the koolaid. I own Huskys too, and I want more. The Hooskie I want first is the 562XP. Those silver stripes are just sexy lol

20180601_132716-1008x756.jpg

It sucks you dont like the 462. The 461 is definitely the best balanced saw I've used. Its a great machine, "replacing" it will be hard. I've talked to folks who already have 462's in Europe, and no one has mentioned either issue you did. Maybe you're just more sensitive to vibrations? (No,that wasn't a pun or unsult), or something could have been broken as you mentioned. I do think there is a sammich or two missing from your basket. You would rather carry two extra pounds vs dealing with a bit of nose ballast.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no fanboy either. I just run what feels the best to me. I get a better feel with rubber mounts.
Just my personal preference.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well these new pro saws are not cheap new, the new tech is great & all but the last thing I hear from pro users is 'I want a higher tech saw', they put reliability and build strength above everything and feel let down with some of the latest high end offerings. I just hope these new saws achieve what there meant too. No good being super fancy, extremely expensive & less reliable than a ms170.

They ain't listening to operators of equipment. They are listening to the EPA.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I run 28" Stihl Light bars on 044s and 440 Hybrids and they balance just fine, so you must be running a heavier 28" bar.

As I have stated before, specifics matter.

A 20" ES bar makes a 362 nose heavy, but balances fine on a 460, as will a 24" E bar or 28" light bar.

There is a difference between being a fan boy and selecting the appropriate bar.

I don't like nose heavy saws, and likely the only ones I own are 660s with 36" light bars on them, but I do the best I can with them. I pay a lot of attention to what bars go on which saws so they balance nicely. I'm very disappointed in the weight of my 28" Sugi light bar, but their 20" light bars are fantastic (just expensive), but they are tough as nails.

GlocknStihl

Derelict OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I run 28" Stihl Light bars on 044s and 440 Hybrids and they balance just fine, so you must be running a heavier 28" bar.

A 20" ES bar makes a 362 nose heavy, but balances fine on a 460, as will a 24" E bar or 28" light bar.

There is a difference between being a fan boy and selecting the appropriate bar.

I don't like nose heavy saws, and likely the only ones I own are 660s with 36" light bars on them, but I do the best I can with them. I pay a lot of attention to what bars go on which saws so they balance nicely. I'm very disappointed in the weight of my 28" Sugi light bar, but their 20" light bars are fantastic (just expensive), but they are tough as nails.

I've been cutting large Poplar with my 360 using a 24" ES bar. It's super nose heavy, I carry it by the brake handle to keep from dragging the chain in the dirt. I've also got a 20" ES for it and that feels pretty good, but I still want a 24" ES Light.

Mike, is there any othrt bars out there that weigh about the same as a ES Light ?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends on the length. I believe in most longer lengths, the Stihl Light bars are the lightest.

If you want to save some money, the E bar in 20" is much lighter and cheaper than an ES, and will balance very well on that saw. They list for about $45.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don't care what name is written in anything, I will always call it how I see it, which means someone will always be getting butthurt. It's just comical watching guys argue over specifications and YouTube videos, without having even seeing what their arguing about.[emoji16] Get your hands on the tool first IMHO. If I had to guess, both of the new saws from Stihl and Husqvarna are going to be well liked, but in different applications IMHO. I see the 572 being preferred out west with longer bars, and the 462 with shorter bars in the eastern U.S. and in Europe.[emoji111] I also hope the wrap handle 462 will have stiffer AV, as the AV on the half wemrap saw was just not right, in the back of my mind I even wonder if something wasn't broken on the 462 I ran.
I value what you've said about the 572 & 462, you do call a saw for what it is despite it's factory of birth. Also you have owned/run many saws in that class/displacement. Too often when folks compare the 462vs572 all you get is 'the 462 is noticeably lighter and faster in the cut'. That tells such a small part of the story with these saws. There is much more to both of them. The intentions of each saw were very different off the drawing board & one would be best thinking about how they use a saw to choose best between the two. They both have new V3 AT/MT systems that are much improved over the earlier tech. Time will give us more insight when users put serious hours run time too.

Last edited:

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I value what you've said about the 572 & 462, you do call a saw for what it is despite it's factory of birth. Also you have owned/run many saws in that class/displacement. Too often when folks compare the 462vs572 all you get is 'the 462 is noticeably lighter and faster in the cut'. That tells such a small part of the story with these saws. There is much more to both of them. The intentions of each saw were very different off the drawing board & one would be best thinking about how they use a saw to choose best between the two. They both have new V3 AT/MT systems that are much improved over the earlier tech. Time will give us more insight when users put serious hours run time too.
Yes time will tell the whole story.[emoji111]

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Both saws had reduced weight bars. Specification seem to matter most with keyboard jockeys, a category which I myself fall into much of the time. However I have enough experience to know specification only mean so much.[emoji111]

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do love my Stihls, but I'm no where near a "fanboy". I dont drink the koolaid. I own Huskys too, and I want more. The Hooskie I want first is the 562XP. Those silver stripes are just sexy lol

View attachment 146524

It sucks you dont like the 462. The 461 is definitely the best balanced saw I've used. Its a great machine, "replacing" it will be hard. I've talked to folks who already have 462's in Europe, and no one has mentioned either issue you did. Maybe you're just more sensitive to vibrations? (No,that wasn't a pun or unsult), or something could have been broken as you mentioned. I do think there is a sammich or two missing from your basket. You would rather carry two extra pounds vs dealing with a bit of nose ballast.

View attachment 146524

I am more sensitive to vibrations for a number of reasons. However the felt vibrations we're not the issue, it was how flimsy and wobbly the AV mounts felt on the saw. Also I'm not at all saying I dislike the 462, it's much too early for that, but no the first impression wasn't that positive. Europeans often run much shorter bars, that has a huge effect on the AV mounts, and of course the balances of the saw.

Of course I prefer lighter weight, but sometimes when you change one thing it affects everything else negatively. If all the weight is in the wrong place it may cause more fatigued, as you're always fighting that weight.

I have a 562, when it's right it's a sweet saw, but when you can't get them to start when the snow melts, it's a hateful thing. Husqvarna did not properly test these saws before releasing them to the market IMHO, and the quality is only so so for a pro saw, lots of corners were cut to save a penny here and there. IMHO[emoji4] I think husqvarna learn from their mistakes, and have gotten the 572 right from the start, or at least I hope so.

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:58 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It depends on the length. I believe in most longer lengths, the Stihl Light bars are the lightest.

If you want to save some money, the E bar in 20" is much lighter and cheaper than an ES, and will balance very well on that saw. They list for about $45.

They also make a rollo E in a 25" version, but it's hard to find.

154646885.av4ckJNC.jpg

Good balance.

157793793.fmRLXyAq.jpg

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 2 of the 24" E bars, but they seem to be NLA. I was using one on a Hybrid yesterday. The 044/440 will balance better with a 20" E bar, but the 24" E is not bad at all. When you are bucking, or cutting wood that is on the ground, that slight nose heavy is no problem at all. For limbing, I much prefer the 20" E bar.

Another nice thing about the 24" E bars is they are "Yellow" profile, not "Green" like the 20 " bars (the nose is wider).