High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

500i video

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
No mistakes on the mix. No more straight gassed saws, unless the oil runs out.
Probably have a low oil shut off switch too.
Only problem I see with that is based on my past of being intensely into sleds for a time, I think addressing how a saw will be used (rolling it on it's side, upside down and such) might be a bit more difficult than a simple weighted pickup/filter like in the fuel tanks. Those oil pumps on injected sled motors and whatnot are gravity fed and don't have alot of "pickup" power. Add to that the fact that the reservior would be tiny and I think it would be pretty tricky to pull off. Matter of fact, I'll bet that's one of the reasons we haven't seen DI or OI in saws yet. You need the oil in the base and DI injectors are in the combustion chamber just like a diesel. Won't do a bit of good for the bottom end to shoot the oil into the chamber only.. and something else I have to wonder, how touchy a DI type injector might be to premix fuel and the various brands and types of oil??? I can see the new oil threads forming now!!!! LOP!

Some things to think about for sure.

Last edited:

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think Jeff is saying the 500i is oil injected. He was saying that when we see DI we will see OI too...which I would agree because it would be required. Can't have DI without OI

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oil injection in sleds do two things, they inject oil into the carb where its mixes with the fuel in the carb and drawn into the case, and it injects oil to the crank bearings for lubrication. Any saw with oil injection would need to have injection to the bearings.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oil injection in sleds do two things, they inject oil into the carb where its mixes with the fuel in the carb and drawn into the case, and it injects oil to the crank bearings for lubrication. Any saw with oil injection would need to have injection to the bearings.
Yes and no Wade. Some sleds I had injected oil into the intake boot between the carb and the reeds, others (newer) injected oil directly into the case right in line with the lower rod bearings. Many sled outer crank bearings are grease packed and sealed while the inners were lubed with oil. I myself haven't come across one that injects oil into both the carbs and case, but not saying they aren't out there. In any case, you gotta have OI by some method if you want to run DI

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can see (in the near future) DI and Sealed Bearings. Heck, you used to have to grease the wheel bearings every time you did brakes, now we have sealed bearings and they usually last quite well.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
9:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My opinion from an automotive standpoint, DI on a saw would add a bunch of weight and take up quite a bit of space.
I'm sure the pumps could be smaller, but they would still have to fairly large to generate the pressure (not sure how much would be required). I know the small GM engines using it are still about 700psi at idle and over 2,000psi on the higher end. Then you run into 1 time use crush type steel fuel lines and such.
Plus, mass would need to be added to the crank, as I see no other viable alternative to drive the pump.
All this is speculating that it would require substantial fuel pressure. Not sure what a saw would need in that aspect..

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But for real.... these slovenian/serbian test videos of the 500i are awful to watch [emoji85]

Non consistent test cuts with different chain/bar setups in 8 to 12" wood...

Sadly the first 200x 500i's are selled for november. Stihl has made a special gamble to get the saw 3 months earlier. I was not on the lucky list and have to weight till january or february for the official release.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G965F mit Tapatalk

Willard

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those operators in that video were good operators though, especially the older one. Must be loggers.

Not too many city arbs I know of who can do that without rocking out the chains on the first pass:D

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My opinion from an automotive standpoint, DI on a saw would add a bunch of weight and take up quite a bit of space.
I'm sure the pumps could be smaller, but they would still have to fairly large to generate the pressure (not sure how much would be required). I know the small GM engines using it are still about 700psi at idle and over 2,000psi on the higher end. Then you run into 1 time use crush type steel fuel lines and such.
Plus, mass would need to be added to the crank, as I see no other viable alternative to drive the pump.
All this is speculating that it would require substantial fuel pressure. Not sure what a saw would need in that aspect..
Look into ETEC direct injection on Evinrude/Johnson outboards and Rotax snowmobile engines. Fuel is supplied at low pressure to the injector, high output electromagnets inside the injector are what builds the high fuel pressure and fires it off. All electronically controlled. Just need a stator to power the system.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah, so that's how they do it.
I used to be a hard core snowmobiler..then sleds got real expensive, gas prices got crazy, and I had kids...
My last sled was an 04 Ski-doo Mxz-x I had spring ordered in 03. Since I sold that, I have not even looked under the hood of a sled!

I would assume some type of supply pump would be required to the injector? A bigger stator than required for just heated handles will for sure be needed.

Do the injectors still fire off 12v then?
If they are, they cant be using as much pressure as I thought they would.

Maybe they should pull a page from the Ford HPOP book and used pressurized bar oil to fire the injectors! :zpong: