High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

50:1 or 40: 1?

voyager

OPE Member
Local time
12:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A question about fuel mixtures has brought me here.

Back in my 20s, I lived out on the West side of the Olympic Peninsula when timber, lumber, shakes and shingles were king. I garnered many hours operating chainsaws back then. Now I am simply a home owner with a large stand of trees that need periodic work on them.
As is usual with chainsaws, trying to rely on a single saw very often leaves you waiting on getting it repaired to be able to get more work done. So, I jumped for a second saw. They are both toys, a Homelite 14" and a Poulan 18". I consider anything under 24" to be a toy, but they suite my needs and are serving their purposes surprisingly well. Plus they're lighter and easier to use than a larger saw.

So, my question, the Homelite asks for a 40:1 fuel mix. The Poulan wants a 50:1 mix. I assume that either mix would work safely in both saws, but would err to the higher 50:1 for both.
I cannot see keeping both mixtures on hand for a couple of "food finicky" saws. 50 years ago I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Now, it might be best to ask around.

50:1 in both, OK?
Maybe split the difference and use 45:1?
[Just being a smarta$$]

Last edited:

T.Roller

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A question about fuel mixtures has brought me here.

Back in my 20s, I lived out on the West side of the Olympic Peninsula when timber, lumber, shakes and shingles were king. I garnered many hours operating chainsaws back then. Now I am simply a home owner with a large stand of trees that need periodic work on them.
As is usual with chainsaws, trying to rely on a single saw very often leaves you waiting on getting it repaired to be able to get more work done. So, I jumped for a second saw. They are both toys, a Homelite 14" and a Poulan 18". I consider anything under 24" to be a toy, but they suite my needs and are serving their purposes surprisingly well. Plus they're lighter and easier to use than a larger saw.

So, my question, the Homelite asks for a 40:1 fuel mix. The Poulan wants a 50:1 mix. I assume that either mix would work safely in both saws, but would err to the higher 50:1 for both.
I cannot see keeping both mixtures on hand for a couple of "food finicky" saws. 50 years ago I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Now, it might be best to ask around.

50:1 in both, OK?
Maybe split the difference and use 45:1?
[Just being a smarta$$]
Welcome to OPE! Run 40:1 in both. The extra oil is extra insurance.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
6:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know I will probably get hit with this, but I run mine at 32:1, 50/50 Avgas to regular.
Nothing at all wrong with this. I run 32:1 all the time but only run av in the winter. Summer I use pump gas because I go through it with the blower, weed whip etc.

voyager

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks guys,
I had been using the fuel mix that I already had for the Homelite, 40:1. It seemed to work well. But, I was a bit concerned.
I'm about to mix up my first batch since acquiring the 2nd saw.
I never use ethanol gas in any of my small engines.
Cold weather is not a problem here.
I've retired to Hawai'i after almost 35 years in Alaska.
After a lifetime of working and playing, in and around northern forests these tropical trees are a new experience, they grow fast and are knocked down whenever the winds go over 35mph.
I haven't bucked up this many trees since I worked in the woods back in my 20s.
I certainly don't need firewood any more.

One thing I have noticed about the saws, at low no load rpm's, the Homelite sounds like a chainsaw, think Yamaha 2- cycle. The Poulan has more of a "Harley" type putt-putt sound to it.
Is this typical of these saws now?

So far I'm impressed with both of these saws considering what they are. Except for the resistor plugs and plastic parts they have given pretty good service, ... so far.

Last edited:

Nitroman

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
[QUOTE="voyager, post: 152623, member: 1619

I've retired to Hawai'i after almost 35 years in Alaska.
[/QUOTE]

Where were you?

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
3:14 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think running 50:1 in non-hotrod stock saws with epa mufflers might be better. I think the extra oil builds carbon faster. As soon as I open a muffler or port then it's 40:1 or 32:1 depending on use.

voyager

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Rolltide386
Both saws are H.D. specials. The Homelite is a UT10640 / 14" 42cc, while the Poulan Pro is a PP4218AV / 18" 42cc.

@Nitroman
I called Anchorage home, but I have lived all over the state for periods ranging from a few months to a few years. I lived and worked out of Dutch for several years, and was a bush contractor for many years. I started out in Anchorage, ended up in Anchorage before moving to Hawai'i, and spent all my between other places time in Anchorage.

@Chainsaw Jim
That makes me feel better about going with the 50:1 mix, which I think I probably will.

http://opeforum.com/members/chainsaw-jim.836/