High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

.460 Rowland - Anyone have experience with a hot .45?

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
5:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
A bit off topic. I have a line on 2 very well priced Glocks in a 20 and 21. I really like the 10mm cartridge and handload all centerfire ammo that i shoot so ammo isn't a problem. I own a GenIV Glock 23 so I already have .40S&W/10mm dies. The problem is I also have .45acp dies which will work for the Rowland conversion and except for the additional cost of the conversion kit, am thinking very hard about the additional 100-400ft-lbs of energy out of the Rowland vs the 10mm for hunting/hiking scenarios.

I also own both a .357 and a .44 mag (with additional access to a .41 mag) so lack of equipment isn't an issue. I'd just like to have a bit of horsepower in a semi-auto platform that isn't as unwieldy or unattainable as a Desert Eagle or a Wildey...

Any thoughts?

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:05 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Back in the dark ages, I tinkered with the .45 Super in a 1911, and exchanged some correspondence with Dean Grennel, trying to iron out some issues.

In the end, I had some fun tinkering, busted several barrels, learned a lot, and settled on loads that were in the +P+ range for .45acp.
In a G21, things can be pushed more. The Rowland just legitimized things, and eliminated trimming .308 brass and inside reaming,,,or dropping huge $$ on .45 Win Mag brass to trim.

Frankly, I simply gave up, and went back to the Super black Hawk for hunting, and the 1911 for a fighting pistol.
If I was to get bored and try again, I'd just grab a G20 and work up 10mm loads.
With the advances in monolithic bullet design, and much improved terminals, the need to push a .45acp is just not there anymore, except for the fun of tinkering of course.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the 20 simply because, but in either case I will have to buy a replacement barrel to get a fully supported chmbr and get cut rifling in order to shoot lead. I have shot lead through polygonal barrels before, but the a bit of a pita to clean. Hell I might just try to buy them both and make my mind up later...

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glock all the way for this application. The 1911 will always be my favorite pistol.
Just don't try to take it past how, John Browning designed it.

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Anyone remember the failures in the Colt 10mm Delta Elite?

Dingeryote

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Yep.
I had my own shop back then, and was doing a LOT of 1911 work. Kimber hadn't hit the market yet with the "Factory custom" pistol, so it was still lucrative work.

Colt had some serious QC issues, and it is still a wonder more people weren't hurt.
The guys that went to a lighter main spring to favor the trigger, always ended up with belly bulge brass, unless they changed the firing pin stop and went with a heavier recoil spring....which on guns that weren't hard fitted, led to lower barrel lug battering and breakage.

It made me wonder if Colt even bothered to do any long term testing.

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It made me embarrassed as a Colt fan. I don't think much testing happened at all. They just threw it out there to jump on the 10mm band wagon at the time.
The QC was "Here, buy this."

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It wasn't as bad as the Colt 2000 though. The sad part is I remember the B.S. glowing-reviews in G&A and other magazines... Thankfully I grew up reading the writing of Elmer Keith, Ross Seyfried, Mike Venturino, and others.

Last edited:

stihl saws

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It wasn't as bad as the Colt 200 though. The sad part is I remember the B.S. glowing-reviews in G&A and other magazines... Thankfully I grew up reading the writing of Elmer Keith, Ross Seyfried, Mike Venturino, and others.
Yep, I remember those names well. Legends in my book.
Don't forget Jeff Cooper. I think i quit subscribing shortly after he passed away.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Rather, He had, since he's sadly gone... But we have Him to thank for many things, not the least of which being Gunsite.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And Jack Lott. I read some of what Jack O'Connor wrote, some of which I agreed with and some of which I didn't.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It wasn't as bad as the Colt 2000 though. The sad part is I remember the B.S. glowing-reviews in G&A and other magazines... Thankfully I grew up reading the writing of Elmer Keith, Ross Seyfried, Mike Venturino, and others.

The reason I don't subscribe to G&A or any other firearm magazine, and don't even bother reading any reviews in American Rifleman.
Their pockets are all lined before the authors even handle the firearm being tested.....

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I really like the youtube reviews to include Hickhock45 and sometimes Nutnfancy. When they're sponsored by ammo companies or gun shops, not the manufacturers, you tend to get a straighter evaluation. Especially when the evaluator pre-acknowledges their biases so you at least honestly know the context that their qualifying and quantifying their responses against.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep had a first run one.
Back in production , spose to have the bugs worked out and beefed up to handle the round.
If I sell all my saws except a 272 and a 288, i might be able to afford a new one.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I love nice Colts. but that's ridiculous...