Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna change things up a wee bit this year. Friday.......we will be milling cants. That's right.......we will be milling our own cants for the racing on Saturday. I have one small Alaskan mill that will be perfect for this size stuff. If anyone else has a mill, bring it. I'll be getting some poplar logs for this.

On Saturday we will be racing 3...4...5...6 cube saws. We will also have a unlimited class for pipe saws or anything that doesn't fit in the cube saw classes. Hopefully we will have the Chinese 440s here in time to do the build off too. We'll likely race them in 24" square stuff again.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gonna change things up a wee bit this year. Friday.......we will be milling cants. That's right.......we will be milling our own cants for the racing on Saturday. I have one small Alaskan mill that will be perfect for this size stuff. If anyone else has a mill, bring it. I'll be getting some poplar logs for this.

On Saturday we will be racing 3...4...5...6 cube saws. We will also have a unlimited class for pipe saws or anything that doesn't fit in the cube saw classes. Hopefully we will have the Chinese 440s here in time to do the build off too. We'll likely race them in 24" square stuff again.
You're going to want an Alaskan mini Mill. You screwed on a 2 by 6 on top of the log and The Jig rides on that 2 by 6 and cuts 90° to it. Just keep rolling the log 90° buzzing the bark off. I did it for mine and it works pretty good. Using the standard Alaskan Mill, you have the whole weight of the can't pushing down on your cut-offs and I don't think it'll work right

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You're going to want an Alaskan mini Mill. You screwed on a 2 by 6 on top of the log and The Jig rides on that 2 by 6 and cuts 90° to it. Just keep rolling the log 90° buzzing the bark off. I did it for mine and it works pretty good. Using the standard Alaskan Mill, you have the whole weight of the can't pushing down on your cut-offs and I don't think it'll work right

Worked purdy well in NY....

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This work good to get a flat quick and use the Alaskan for 2 sides. One side mini mill then roll and use Alaskan and wedges. Then repaeta mini and Alaskan

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Best I've seen yet is, mill the top. Pull the straight edge, reset the depth and mill the bottom. Two cuts, no movement. Beam the sides or turn ninty to mill it. So much easier to set up crossing two logs.

Two mills is much faster. The second can cut doubles with a long bar or singles with the short one. Does not need to be reset. Moving the wood less is the key to easy.

The beam machine needs a short bar and sprays chip everywhere. You should have air injection if your using it with a standard clutch cover. That thing needs a chip deflector added to the saw. It is a very cheap way to make square or flat wood. I prefer the cheap light chainsaw mill.

I'd like to try some free hand jungle ripping next week. I have some huge curved oaks down 40" x 30 ft+ trunks. Big giant arc about eight foot high in the center. Still whole on the root ball. 55" flair at the base, no rot. Walked them for a look see. Arc is vertical, perfect to rip in place.

How thick should they be cut? 3,4,6"??

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear bibbed overalls will keep ya clean!

I have 3 different kinds of milling attachments for my saws, and like Keven said, I generally consider milling to be safer than cutting.

However, it is hard on the saws, and you generally end up covered in sawdust (not big enough to be called chips).

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This work good to get a flat quick and use the Alaskan for 2 sides. One side mini mill then roll and use Alaskan and wedges. Then repaeta mini and Alaskan

I did this once for a GTG in Iowa. We cut about 8 cants in a day and we where done.

Best method is pretty much what you described. Mill a flat with the Alaskan, slab a side off with the mini, cut the bottom off with the Alaskan, and then roll and cut the bottom off again with the Alaskan. On the bottom cuts make sure to keep your log supports out of the way and use lots of wedges.