Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Work and turn or sheetwise? I agree trim out is a PITA but it does usually make for a better looking finished product.

What kind of press do you run Wayne, German built or Japanese?
Both and most of the double trim work is for dog food can labels so they need to be spot on.

We have all Komoris now. A 40" 6 color UV. 29"6 Color and a 40" 2 color.

My web press has a 60" Marquip twin knife sheeter with a trailgrabber bowtie splicer. The holographic part was designed in house by are engineer aka Mr. Magoo. Most of the time I'm running 28x40 sheets.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
4:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice, my first job was at a litho house (Dad still works there) they had three 28X40 Man Rolland 700 offsets. Six color units with a coater and auto stack, one would perfect. Dad is a platemaker but they have him pulling double duty running a Ricoh digital that will do variable data.

I mainly worked in the bindry ( got pretty good with an MBO folder, and like you said a guillotine cutter borders on brainless work) but Wayne (old timer pressman, had been there 50+ years when I was there) showed me the ins and outs of running a manual press. I was never as good as he was at mixing ink by hand but I could get by.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
28X40 Man Rolland 700 offsets. Six color units with a coater and auto stack, one would perfect.
I spent quite a few years on the 7’s. Last one was 4/4 w/in-line coater and ext delivery. Huge mofo! Cameras everywhere to monitor transfer. Lotta time on Millers before that. Some Heidelberg late in my career. Got totally burned out w it. Miss the money it made.
P081215_09.44.jpg P081215_13.01_[03].jpg

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I spent quite a few years on the 7’s. Last one was 4/4 w/in-line coater and ext delivery. Huge mofo! Cameras everywhere to monitor transfer. Lotta time on Millers before that. Some Heidelberg late in my career. Got totally burned out w it. Miss the money it made.
View attachment 156314 View attachment 156315

I have debated getting back into it. My Dad is dead set against it, and it is a lot of long hours. But like you just said the money is killer.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have debated getting back into it. My Dad is dead set against it, and it is a lot of long hours. But like you just said the money is killer.
Few weeks ago I saw an add on indeed for $28hr, which is good for this area. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Last few years at the mom and pop shop had me doing everything, including folding. Really pizzed off the carpal tunnel and finger arthritis.
DSC03684.JPG DSC03679.JPG

I cared too much..
P230114_06.00.jpg

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Few weeks ago I saw an add on indeed for $28hr, which is good for this area. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Last few years at the mom and pop shop had me doing everything, including folding. Really pizzed off the carpal tunnel and finger arthritis.
View attachment 156343 View attachment 156344

I cared too much..
View attachment 156345

$28/HR is pretty good around here too, a good lead man can make up to $35/HR but you usually have to be with the company for a while. One thing, at least at the shop my Dad works at, is you can basically get unlimited overtime. Saturday is automtaic O/T and anything past 7.5 HRS is double time. Sunday is automatic double time and anything past 7.5 HRS is triple time. If you have to work a major holiday like Thanksgiving or Christmas it is triple time plus a $400 holiday bonus.

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you print/press/binder fellas ever heard of Harris Graphics? Or perhaps Prim Hall?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any of you print/press/binder fellas ever heard of Harris Graphics? Or perhaps Prim Hall?
Nope and that Harris Graphics is 2 hours from me.

Out if the 3 shops here in my town of 130000 none of us do the same kind of printing.

Last edited:

Adirondackstihl

Vert Da Furk........Bork Bork Bork
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nope and that Harris Graphics is 2 hours from me.

Out if the 3 shops here in my town of 130000 no of us do the same kind of printing.
The old Harris manufacturing facility is literally across the street from my house (my exes house). Dad worked there as a lathe operator in the 80’s. Later on, in the 90’s, a few ex Harris employees started a company called Prim Hall. (John Prim & Dave Hall). They hired my father as a machine shop super and began rebuilding and selling the old Harris UB binders.
Before closing, they employed close to 50 employees.
I worked there on and off while attending college. I helped rebuild an entire UB-27, including the trimmer, rougher, glue pot and cover raceway. Along with with the many hopper loaders that accompanied it. Pretty cool stuff

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The old Harris manufacturing facility is literally across the street from my house (my exes house). Dad worked there as a lathe operator in the 80’s. Later on, in the 90’s, a few ex Harris employees started a company called Prim Hall. (John Prim & Dave Hall). They hired my father as a machine shop super and began rebuilding and selling the old Harris UB binders.
Before closing, they employed close to 50 employees.
I worked there on and off while attending college. I helped rebuild an entire UB-27, including the trimmer, rougher, glue pot and cover raceway. Along with with the many hopper loaders that accompanied it. Pretty cool stuff

Must be 2 different kind of Harris Graphics in the world then.
https://www.harrisdecals.com/graphics.asp