394XP - Work Saw Rebuild

tickbitintn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sold my 394 a week ago. I’ll have another, she just didn’t get used much right now.
Mine hardly ever gets to come out and play...
Soon it may get some use clearing a path for an access road/driveway [emoji1696]
Not sure I could part with it, or recoup what I have in it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mine hardly ever gets to come out and play...
Soon it may get some use clearing a path for an access road/driveway [emoji1696]
Not sure I could part with it, or recoup what I have in it.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Definitely didn’t recoup what I had into it. If I don’t use something it goes down the road, just the way I am. I do miss it a little just because it was fun to run.

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely didn’t recoup what I had into it. If I don’t use something it goes down the road, just the way I am. I do miss it a little just because it was fun to run.
I know this is an old thread, but I just got my first 394 yesterday and was learning some of the ins and outs of the assembly/disassembly and overall condition mine was in as I received it from one of likely a few previous owners. My biggest concern was what I would find when I pulled the exhaust to see inside the cylinder. SO far so good on a clean Piston and cylinder. However, there was no muffler gasket ( which I intend to install)

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know this is an old thread, but I just got my first 394 yesterday and was learning some of the ins and outs of the assembly/disassembly and overall condition mine was in as I received it from one of likely a few previous owners. My biggest concern was what I would find when I pulled the exhaust to see inside the cylinder. SO far so good on a clean Piston and cylinder. However, there was no muffler gasket ( which I intend to install)
Sometimes the gasket sticks to the muffler

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sometimes the gasket sticks to the muffler
Thanks huskihl, Nope, I looked on the muffler first.

BTW, I was also over at another site on a 394 thread that you responded to the OP.

May I Pm you some questions?

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

BTW, I was also over at another site on a 394 thread that you responded to the OP.

huskihl, the other thread on the different site had the OP asking about ignition coil possibly being bad.

Your reply was. "I’d check the ignition wires. Unplug the blue wire at the coil and check again. And make sure the flywheel magnets and coil lobes are clean"

He then said that he did like you suggested and the saw fired up on one pull. Here is his reply, I think his name is mn man
"cleaned the crud off the magnet and unplugged the blue wire from the coil, put the recoil back on, and 1 pull it fired right up... so do i need a new wire or ignition switch?"

You and another fella suggested a switch off a Brush Cutter

chilipeppermaniac

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, when I bought my 394 off a guy last night, he told me it was likely the wire that had his Kill switch to permanently ON. He said to just pull out the choke to kill the saw.

I decided to check for shorts in the wire and the blade connector was off the wire inside the shrink tubing.
I soldered in a new connector. Still not killing the saw. I wasn't sure if it was wired right as I got it either, but I think it is right judging by this pic from the first page. I may just need a new switch plus possibly a short in the wire under the pull start. I need to put an ohm meter on these.

1701825677809.jpeg

Last edited:

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FYI, when I bought my 394 off a guy last night, he told me it was likely the wire that had his Kill switch to permanently ON. He said to just pull out the choke to kill the saw.

I decided to check for shorts in the wire and the blade connector was off the wire inside the shrink tubing.
I soldered in a new connector. Still not killing the saw. I wasn't sure if it was wired right as I got it either, but I think it is right judging by this pic from the first page. I may just need a new switch plus possibly a short in the wire under the pull start. I need to put an ohm meter on these.

View attachment 399534
I’d use the front bolts as they go directly to the case. The rear 2 screw into an insert in the AV springs and may not ground.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
5:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 394 didn't use an exhaust gasket. If you want one, you have to purchase the gasket for the 395.

The heat shield acted as a gasket in the 394.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 394 didn't use an exhaust gasket. If you want one, you have to purchase the gasket for the 395.

The heat shield acted as a gasket in the 394.
No kidding. I guess I’ve never looked at the IPL and didn’t know that