394XP low on max rpm after port work

Timbco84

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's the pop off pressure of the carb. Sounds like you have the wrong spring in it.

Or a leaking welch plug.

I didn't check the exact pressure, I had the mity vac at 10 psi and just bumped to metering lever to make sure it popped off and then re-sealed. What is the pop off pressure supposed to be at? Also, what is the preferred sealant for sealing welch plugs?

Timbco84

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like you need to just try a replacement carb and see what happens. Maybe someone here can help you out with one.

Again, not that familiar with the model. Even though the carb pressure tested OK, it's somehow getting excessive fuel into the carb bore. Not sure if this model ever came with a governed carb.

Are you sure the kit was correct for the carb? I've seen discrepancies in the metering button/lever/needle before.

Did you install the metering side gasket to carb, then metering diaphragm, then metering plate?

Case sucking bar oil?

Yeah I double checked that the carb kit was correct, checked to make sure metering diaphragm was engaging the metering lever, and checked to make sure I had diaphragm on the correct side of the gasket. I then tried the original needle/metering lever just to rule out the new one as the problem. I also confirmed that the case isn't sucking bar oil, I just went through that with a 044. I went ahead and ordered a new carb to try, I won't expect to see it for a week or so, I will update when i get the carb and try it.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
5:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I didn't check the exact pressure, I had the mity vac at 10 psi and just bumped to metering lever to make sure it popped off and then re-sealed. What is the pop off pressure supposed to be at? Also, what is the preferred sealant for sealing welch plugs?

It should be above 20 psi.

I've used nail polish or super glue to reseal Welch plugs.