394 to 395 mod

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fellas i have a 394 that got run without oil in gas. I have no money in it and saw was fairly new when it got ruined and has been sitting under workbench for years. Cylinder has cleaned up very well and my question is has anyone bought the kit to convert and had good results. I’ve searched the forum without any luck on the subject. This saw stock is plenty big for me as stock but had considered the kit just for the new cylinder only. I’ve read in other forums that there’s problems with linkage working right and drilling holes in cover on carb for a fitting just doesn’t sound dependable down the road. Anyone running a 394with the mod ? Thanks

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have not converted one, but I’ve run both. In my opinion, the 394 runs just as well as a 395. If the cylinder cleaned up, I’d run it, no gain to converting, unless that’s just what you want. If you keep it 394, just be sure you removed all the transfer from the cylinder, Or you’ll be right back where you started. If you decide to convert I’m interested in your 394 cylinder.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw is almost 25 yrs old and i would like to do it right. I cut firewood only but like to do things right and since i have nothing in it plan on bearings seals carb kit new oil and fuel lines. Meteor cylinder and piston kit and a new bar and chain. I would like to make sure the cylinder is good to go. I don’t have a parts cleaner so what’s best to soak cylinder in for a good clean ?

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This saw is almost 25 yrs old and i would like to do it right. I cut firewood only but like to do things right and since i have nothing in it plan on bearings seals carb kit new oil and fuel lines. Meteor cylinder and piston kit and a new bar and chain. I would like to make sure the cylinder is good to go. I don’t have a parts cleaner so what’s best to soak cylinder in for a good clean ?
Like @paragonbuilder stated the old cylinder should clean up. Clean up the cylinder and throw a meteor piston in it if your cylinder is still good. If your cylinder is trashed, the oem 395 cylinder kit is 139$ on ebay last time I checked. I converted a 394 chassis to 395 just recently, 395 throttle cable, entire intake tract and 395 carb are needed. You can use the 394 carb base but it needs the throttle cable hole drilled out larger in the base. I’d try cleaning up cylinder first or finding a good used 394 cylinder.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Mattyo’s videos are in depth and helpful if your rebuilding one of these saws.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Scott chandler. The 394 is heavy for bucking firewood unless you have some large logs. Hope you get it straightened out and running well. Sounds like it will make a nice saw when done.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fellas i have gone a different route and decided to use the 395 cylinder and piston with the conversion kit and split case and put all new seals and bearings in it. I decided this on advice off of another forum from fella that sounds like an expert. He says saw is worth the time and money spent. I will be reading and asking questions on splitting case installing bearings and seals. If anyone is familiar with 394 splitting case new bearings seals and using 395 cylinder and the conversion kit i sure would like to pick your brain and gladly listen to what you have to offer. I just don’t want to ruin case or crank and have a box full of parts. Would really like to hear saw cutting big ole fat piece of white oak that’s waiting on it in back yard.

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
We should be able to walk you through it. You will need some special tools in order to press the crank out of the case valves. Fortunately you can make the tools yourself with basic tools and a welder or buy them if you have some spare money.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fellas i have gone a different route and decided to use the 395 cylinder and piston with the conversion kit and split case and put all new seals and bearings in it. I decided this on advice off of another forum from fella that sounds like an expert. He says saw is worth the time and money spent. I will be reading and asking questions on splitting case installing bearings and seals. If anyone is familiar with 394 splitting case new bearings seals and using 395 cylinder and the conversion kit i sure would like to pick your brain and gladly listen to what you have to offer. I just don’t want to ruin case or crank and have a box full of parts. Would really like to hear saw cutting big ole fat piece of white oak that’s waiting on it in back yard.
The conversion kit says you can use the 394 carburetor, I tried going that route and it’s a lot of work. Have to drill the carb bolt holes out to fit the plastic inserts and drill impulse hole in top of carburetor. I tried doing this and ended up having issues with the throttle cable lining up with the holder. The throttle arm seems to interfere with the cable holder as well. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but someone else can comment if they’ve had success. I’m sure it could be made to work but imo it’s easier to use a walbro wj 115/tillotson hs 298 with top impulse already mounted and throttle cable setup requires no modifications. Those are the oe 395 factory carburetors.

Last edited:

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did you secure the elbow fitting for pulse line after drilling hole in carb ? And what size bit did you use to drill ? Thanks for the information. I may look into the 395 carb if it’s not too expensive

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How did you secure the elbow fitting for pulse line after drilling hole in carb ? And what size bit did you use to drill ? Thanks for the information. I may look into the 395 carb if it’s not too expensive
Just some standard super glue. It press fits in there. I forget what size drill bit I used. Again I recommend just buying a 395 carb as it’s a lot easier that way. Sell the 394 carb and use the funds to buy a 395 carb is my suggestion.

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks huskyboy. I’m in the market for the 395 carb if you know where one can be had. Tillotson HS 298 or wj 115 walbro

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you know if throttle cable will need to be replaced as well ? Is it a larger size where connects to linkage on 395 ? Just trying to plan ahead and have parts i will need - seems a lot of stuff coming from California takes week and half to get here.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky i want to ask dumb question. If i am changing to 395 carb then will i still need conversion kit ? Why not just change all intake parts to 395 or will that not work in a 394 case ? Intake parts probably pretty cheap and i am using a 395 cylinder

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky i want to ask dumb question. If i am changing to 395 carb then will i still need conversion kit ? Why not just change all intake parts to 395 or will that not work in a 394 case ? Intake parts probably pretty cheap and i am using a 395 cylinder
You need the entire 395 intake tract. You can use the 394 air filter base but the throttle cable hole needs to be drilled out with 7/32 drill bit or so. It’s cheaper to fix your 394 cylinder and buy a 40$ meteor piston than to buy 200$ worth of 395 conversion stuff if your 394 cylinder can be saved. You already have all the 394 intake parts right?