371xp Restoration

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was my grandfathers saw with a bad top end for whatever reason, so I figured may as well get it down to bearings and seals to cover all bases. When I got to that point, I thought it'd be a neat project to make it new again; so that's what I did.

Bought a spray paint bottle from my dealer to get the Husqvarna Orange, then had a local paint place match the color in a SS Urethane.

IMG_2177.JPG
IMG_2197.JPG

After blasting and prep, I used a self-etching primer, then a sealing primer, then the orange. I'm more than happy with the way it came out.

When the piston came in, I noticed it had a crack near the skirt. It didn't go all the way through to the other side, but I wasn't going to take the chance with it, so I ordered a new one through my dealer, and to my surprise, a single-ring came in, which is what all 371xp's had to the best of my knowledge. Not that it matters much, but the more "correct" my things are, the more satisfied I am.

IMG_2207.JPG

It needed a new top end, oiler, flywheel, seals/bearings, plastics all around, and a few little parts here and there. Everything on the saw is OEM Husky.

IMG_2210.JPG
IMG_2211.JPG

Bear with me as I post pics, if they even work. I've never posted pics before.

Matthew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After many conversations and pictures exchanged with Joe Salva, we managed to produce a 371xp kit. I'm very happy with the way it came out, great work he does! IMG_2349.JPGIMG_2350.JPGIMG_2348.JPGIMG_2357.JPGIMG_2360.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That should wrap up the pictures. Glad they worked. Anyway, I like the way it came out. Runs decent now; just need to adjust the carb tomorrow since it was getting late tonight. Should be dialed in tomorrow when I put it through its paces

Lots of members here and on AS have a wealth of info that was very valuable. Truely a great group of guys on both sites.

Matthew

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like 371xp's.
a0ac5db21119918066b87cac902f576e.jpg
4ab47e606c1c660871e7e43997a3c2b5.jpg

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the compliments guys.

And any 70cc Husky is a force to be reckoned with IMO. They're so easy and straightforward to work on and when it comes to performance and handling, they're great.

Plus, they're pretty sexy!

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the compliments guys.

And any 70cc Husky is a force to be reckoned with IMO. They're so easy and straightforward to work on and when it comes to performance and handling, they're great.

Plus, they're pretty sexy!

Agreed!

Here's a couple shots of my 372 when it was brand new in 2012. Still in great shape today -- goto saw for tree jobs. I really like the high top filter -- I think they look bad azz.

2012-06-05_19-12-09_746-X2.jpg

2012-06-05_19-12-40_74-X2.jpg

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Agreed!

Here's a couple shots of my 372 when it was brand new in 2012. Still in great shape today -- goto saw for tree jobs. I really like the high top filter -- I think they look bad azz.

2012-06-05_19-12-09_746-X2.jpg

2012-06-05_19-12-40_74-X2.jpg
That (was) a nice saw! Bet it doesn't look as good now, but probably cuts the same.

That 372xp in my pics above is a 2009 model. Bought it in 2013? 2014? Not sure. I was 14 and only bought that pre X-Torq model because I liked the blue decomp. valve on the side haha. It was NOS from a dealer in CT who bought everyone he could find before they all went X-Torq. I've used that saw quite a bit, but it doesn't get put down on dirt, front of the case doesn't touch bark, rides on the seat, and rarely sees sun. I go out of my way to baby it but that's the reason it looks the way it does now. Not knocking anyone for actually using their saws either. Just think keeping a couple nice ones around wouldn't do no harm. I find myself using the older Mccullochs more than the newer ones actually. Something about them

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Excellent job Matt. Looks really nice. I see the new blast cabinet is working great.
Be sure to mark your calendar for the NY GTG and the CT GTG. I'm sure some of
us would like to see your saws. I will be at both with a few of my saws for everyone
to run.

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Lee. Those words mean a lot coming from you. Appreciate it.

And yes, as you know a cabinet is super nice to have. I use it more often than I thought I would which is great. I sure don't miss wire-brushing!

I may have the 797 done by the time of the GTG's too. Already started asking around and looking for parts so it shouldn't take very long to finish once I start it.

And before I forget, when should I mark my calendar for? Or is the date not determined as of now?

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the top of this page you will see chainsaw GTG's. That's where all is posts in regards
to up coming GTG's. On April 23rd is the NY GTG and May 6th is the Ct GTG. The Ct
is really close to you just over the line from Ri. Check out the threads. If you need any
assistance we are all here to help.

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the top of this page you will see chainsaw GTG's. That's where all is posts in regards
to up coming GTG's. On April 23rd is the NY GTG and May 6th is the Ct GTG. The Ct
is really close to you just over the line from Ri. Check out the threads. If you need any
assistance we are all here to help.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
I'll check it out and plan around that day

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20170116_142607.jpg Nice job man i always preferred the 371s this ugly azz trash find i rebuilt for a friend is one of the best running saws I've ever used.

Coutu

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very nice resto!, not to nit-pik but I think the 371's had orange air filter cover clips.....I picked up a nice original 371 last fall, it really is a great runner......:)View attachment 57522
Okay, way to make me feel bad now!

But yes, I'm well aware haha. I couldn't find any, so if anyone knows where some really really nice ones are, or NOS, feel free to let me know.

To be honest tho, this saw was very low hour, and was a pretty late model one. It had the gray clips, which to the best of my knowledge were original. I do like the orange clips a lot better, but some 371's could've slipped through with grays. This saw was 1 of 3 bought by family members from the same dealership within the same month in a small town in NH. We have 2 as if now, and the third is owned by my uncle. It'd be sweet to get all three back together. They could potientially have very close serial numbers as well.

There's also one more thing that isn't "correct" here. If anyone picks it out I'd be impressed.