Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At this point, what is your favorite combination? It appears it may be a 52mm big bore with the 272 pop-up.

What about the carb? Are you still using the Poleman Zama?
A slightly modded big bore.
With the exhaust opened up
And the bottom ring of the cylinder trimmed up to just above the base of the cylinder in between the extensions.
Took like 20 minutes.
With the 272 bb popup and muff modded.
Has run great.
Simple stuff.
Haven't tried a pro porters cylinder yet.
They say they get more power from
The 50 and 52mm 372 pistons.
My way is easy lol
The poleman carb is still doing great
Need more of them.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Close to what I came up with, except the pop-up 272 piston. It works and works well, big saw for small bucks. 24" bar and 8-pin, works great in Ozzie hardwood.

I can't image you cranking over the 272 pop-up piston without a compression release. The cylinder I have on mine has enough compression that I have to use the de-comp (OK, I'm 70 years old, but still...)

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Close to what I came up with, except the pop-up 272 piston. It works and works well, big saw for small bucks. 24" bar and 8-pin, works great in Ozzie hardwood.

I can't image you cranking over the 272 pop-up piston without a compression release. The cylinder I have on mine has enough compression that I have to use the de-comp (OK, I'm 70 years old, but still...)
I did break a few ropes
So i put decomps in.
But the biggest help is those new style husky handles.
Much more comfortable than the t square
Old style.
My popup pistons are in the 170-180 range.
They are a handful as light as a 372 is.
With a 20
I have to have a good grip
With a longer bar no problem.
I had a non decomp 288 at 185
That would try to smack you in the teeth
If you lost your grip on it.
Rheumatoid arthritis
I need decomps now.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get one, open it up and take a picture of the wet side (metering lever side) of the jets. Post the picture and hopefully if it is a 'twin jet', then you are home and hosed.

Either Poleman can mod it or you can get a set of micro drills and do the work yourself. You also have to pull the idle jet and drill out the air bleed port closest to the idle plate to .55mm. It looks like the 30/40 combination on the jets works well on the big bore. Poleman has all the tools and the knowledge, so if you send it to him he can set it up without any fuss.

I started out with a 30/35 on the 029/390 'sleeper' and then went to a 30/37. The .37 drill is a SAE size, but the combination works well on my 64cc saw.

The Chinese brand carb that I was using had the name of AN(A)BA on the lid and was an exact duplicate of the Zama C3M twin jet.

$15 plus some time and labor, cheap and easy.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you get one, open it up and take a picture of the wet side (metering lever side) of the jets. Post the picture and hopefully if it is a 'twin jet', then you are home and hosed.

Either Poleman can mod it or you can get a set of micro drills and do the work yourself. You also have to pull the idle jet and drill out the air bleed port closest to the idle plate to .55mm. It looks like the 30/40 combination on the jets works well on the big bore. Poleman has all the tools and the knowledge, so if you send it to him he can set it up without any fuss.

I started out with a 30/35 on the 029/390 'sleeper' and then went to a 30/37. The .37 drill is a SAE size, but the combination works well on my 64cc saw.

The Chinese brand carb that I was using had the name of AN(A)BA on the lid and was an exact duplicate of the Zama C3M twin jet.

$15 plus some time and labor, cheap and easy.
Ebay au blocked me
The *a-holes.
I'll have to find if it's on ebayus
The c3m are 50.00 that's what poleman sent me.
It idles a bit high
But runs excellent.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Left it alone just muff modded.
Put a tank through it just trying it
Out.20180310_174130.jpg
My logger friend wants to try it
As a 372
He's thinking about buying a few to run
For his company.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish you had a video of your build..:) Just a question, 272 vs. decking the cylinder and using the 52mm Huztl piston? Is it just less work? Or is the pin to crown height give more material for a popup? Maybe I should go back and wade through the thread.

I have a "Cyclops 2.0" build thats been sitting a year or two, where I decked the cylinder to .017 squish with a gasket, no popup. Did the "Madsen" eyebrow thing on the piston looking to get the blow down in the 20 degree range & to get the exit of the transfers opened back up after closing it off by dropping the cylinder, ended up tweaking the transfers anyway.. Did that for the "simple tools concept too. Got the timing numbers roughly in that 20 degress blow down, 99-100 ATDC for exhaust and 80 BTDC for intake range. Haven't stuck it all together yet. No idea how its going to end up with compression or how its going to run. Another project in the pile! But was going to review the concept as its not in the true "simple tools" concept because of the "lathe" content decking the cylinder & the die grinder for the transfers. Took about a grand to get an old Atlas and tool it to where it was useful....looking to do something different as thats not the focus of the channel.

Wondered if anyone has ever thought a little out of the box and used something other than an expensive metal lathe to get the popup on those "simple" pistons where a piston from another saw like the Stihl 064 or 272 that gives the ability to get similar things you get when decking the cylinder...simple tools :) :)

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wish you had a video of your build..:) Just a question, 272 vs. decking the cylinder and using the 52mm Huztl piston? Is it just less work? Or is the pin to crown height give more material for a popup? Maybe I should go back and wade through the thread.

I have a "Cyclops 2.0" build thats been sitting a year or two, where I decked the cylinder to .017 squish with a gasket, no popup. Did the "Madsen" eyebrow thing on the piston looking to get the blow down in the 20 degree range & to get the exit of the transfers opened back up after closing it off by dropping the cylinder, ended up tweaking the transfers anyway.. Did that for the "simple tools concept too. Got the timing numbers roughly in that 20 degress blow down, 99-100 ATDC for exhaust and 80 BTDC for intake range. Haven't stuck it all together yet. No idea how its going to end up with compression or how its going to run. Another project in the pile! But was going to review the concept as its not in the true "simple tools" concept because of the "lathe" content decking the cylinder & the die grinder for the transfers. Took about a grand to get an old Atlas and tool it to where it was useful....looking to do something different as thats not the focus of the channel.

Wondered if anyone has ever thought a little out of the box and used something other than an expensive metal lathe to get the popup on those "simple" pistons where a piston from another saw like the Stihl 064 or 272 that gives the ability to get similar things you get when decking the cylinder...simple tools :) :)
I just run the popups no base gasket simple port work just opened the exhaust and cut the ring off between the cylinder extensions.
The huztl bigbores were only 135-140 comp.
With popups 170s on the 50mm and 52mm
I have to send everything out for machine work to cut bases and squish.
My local guy retired.
Nobody i knew of tried those 365 built
Saw's that i could find.
And i wanted to see if they would hold up
To hard use.
Fuel and impulse line's are trash
Broke a couple ropes before i put decomps in.
One case gasket let go no other issue's.
Bearings coils oilers everything holding up fine.
I'm told i should have used the windowed
268 pistons instead of the scalloped huztl
Style i don't know might try those later.
These run great good torque and throttle
Response.
I've cut a lot with them since last spring.

afleetcommand

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got you....I do the same thing..:) Just never heard it defined that way..:)

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got you....I do the same thing..:) Just never heard it defined that way..:)
That was masterminds build on as
272 in a am bigbore
He didn't like it at all lol
They run good for me i have 2 with regular pistons too.
I prefer the 268 and 272

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the carb, it wasn't a 'twin jet'. The name of the carb in the picture 'AN(A)BA' wasn't the same as the name on this carb. This piece of junk is called 'Stable'.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the carb, it wasn't a 'twin jet'. The name of the carb in the picture 'AN(A)BA' wasn't the same as the name on this carb. This piece of junk is called 'Stable'.
That's happened to me the pic wasn't the product.
I was hoping you found a winner.
But 50.00 isn't bad for the oem dolly
Carb like poleman fixed up.
C3m i think