Any Chinese chainsaw and chinese parts discussion

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Second up was the modded kit issued carb or what came with it. It seemed good at first but fell on its face. Need more time with it.
Next was a stock Zama. Sharper bottom with good power. Or it seemed better.

Next up was a Walbro HD 43 off a 665 Solo. This carb has been modded and performed well on my Dosolo I built, and on modded Dolmars. On the larger Dolmars the carb wasn't quite as sharp but it created really good torque.

Next up I tried a modded Zama I had had trouble with previously but made changes and needed tested. With this carb the saw didn't want to start and I didn't spend a lot of time with it.

Last up was another modded Walbro 43 from a Solo 665 again. This had just slightly different spec/mods from the first carb.
This carb was my favorite today out of all the carbs. It seemed to produce the best torque and had very good throttle response.

It's really hard to tell any difference between the last two videos.... they were the Walbro.

At this point the Walbro lead the pack but I need to mod a "good " Zama and see how it compares.

Had some successes and failures today, but it was a good day. Wood appeared to be dead standing, seasoned Silver Poplar which is usually pretty soft but this stuff was surprisingly hard!!!

Thoughts????

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
6:12 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
never knew a walbro 43 could be used on a 372.... interesting

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
8:12 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jeez...thats dedication

Once you have the right 'recipe' for the carburetor, it's just a matter of duplicating it for the next one. It is sorting it all out that takes the time and effort. I built three different carbs for my 029/390 before I got something I was happy with.

When you've been working with carbs for a while, you know what can be achieved and what you're willing to accept. A well tuned carb is a pleasure to use.

If Rich could find a source for the Zama twin jet carb, he would have probably had the carb built in the first hour. The Chinese were building them before, there is probably a manufacturer some place that is still doing them.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Your dead on Terry......the sorces for the twin jets has dryed up and has really changed the game. I have used them before on 372's and know where to go with them. The lack of availability of the twin jets has me looking at other different carbs and finding the process of figuring out what to do on them has been challenging. I can get these single jet carbs to work but their adaptability from saw to saw is not there. It seem when you get one running good on one saw and happy with it and you move it to a different saw everything changes.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the twin jet was a great carb to adapt to virtually any saw - the bigger the saw the better. You could always tweak the jets to get it to work.

If the twin jets have dried up, then I expect some Walbro clone with an auxiliary jet on the low speed circuit would be the next best thing.

If I want to dial in a carb for another saw, I'm going to try and source an old twin jet to mod. The last one I got was an ugly looking piece of junk in a bucket at a Husky dealer, he sold it to me for A$20. He probably thought he had screwed me on the deal, LOL

EDIT: Rich, one thing I noticed on these build threads is that everybody is cutting 'cookies'. A saw tuned to cut cookies is running in a fairly tight RPM range, up where the cutting is the fastest. Well, a 'work saw' is not a cookie cutter. I think a good test of a work saw would be to have a point where the bar was buried and then the cutting was stopped, like when you want to drive a wedge, and then with the chain stopped in the wood, HIT THE THROTTLE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Like you, I prefer a saw that comes off the bottom like a freight train and starts pulling chips like it had never stopped.

Last edited:

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the twin jet carbs, is it as simple as looking for used Zama's on ebay?

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes Mattyo, the Zamia C3M's came on earlier Husky 365/372 & 6400-7900 Dolmars. It doesn't make a difference what model number as it will be altered anyway. The difference between the Husky and Dolmar is the choke attachment.....Huskys are larger....just needs drilled out.

Terry, I agree with you on saw set up. I like a strong bottom end just for the reason you stated. Whether it be starting after wedging or cutting a hinge, you want it to have the power to start "in" wood.
I know I was cutting cookies but I can generally tell the saws pulling power and workability. I don't want a temperamental cookie cutter, I want a work saw that can work all day and last.
The true petagree of a saw will only show its true worth in the field. I try to get them in the hands of daily workers to get their feedback,likes, dislikes, issues or what they like. I use that to make changes and/or improvements.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0987.JPG

Here's the Walbro # off the Solo I mentioned.

IMG_0988.JPG
This is interesting.... or it is to me. Remember I mentioned I received a broken tank at the fuel hole. I ordered a new tank before I got resolution because I needed one. That's been taken care of now.
Point here is old tank had a tube vent and new tank brass. Red throttle cable that fits perfect, an uncrimped fuel line at the filter and a modern filter. Also the plastic is different. The old tank seemed hard and brittle and the new tank has smooth castings, no sharp edges and the plastic seems thicker and more resilient, more like a OEM tank. The safety and throttle work way smoother than the first tank also.
Just my two cents on this.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 70083

Here's the Walbro # off the Solo I mentioned.

View attachment 70084
This is interesting.... or it is to me. Remember I mentioned I received a broken tank at the fuel hole. I ordered a new tank before I got resolution because I needed one. That's been taken care of now.
Point here is old tank had a tube vent and new tank brass. Red throttle cable that fits perfect, an uncrimped fuel line at the filter and a modern filter. Also the plastic is different. The old tank seemed hard and brittle and the new tank has smooth castings, no sharp edges and the plastic seems thicker and more resilient, more like a OEM tank. The safety and throttle work way smoother than the first tank also.
Just my two cents on this.
Thanks for all the info accidentally huztl sent me some carb floorplate's or whatever they are called i figured since i'm changing all the lines i would throw one in what a *b-word different dimensions and construction barely got it to fit it's a paler cheaper plastic than the rest of my saws with much brighter smoother plastic my handles feel oem but the huztl plastic doesn't must have different vendors it worked though.1494898915307-827518788.jpg 20170511_164037.jpg

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20170516_124232.jpg I used a 372 mahle cylinder and just cut the 268 piston down flat topped with base gasket to around .20 squish I've got three more 268 pistons to play around with.
Ran a tank through today has descent torque and a good topend.
I need a tach it revs high seems a lot higher than the double ring huztl that was in it .
I was worried that with the piston being shorter it would be hard to tune no problem at all holds tune good no idle issues no dead spots i will have to try it and the other mahle at the same time to feel the difference. View attachment 70161 20170516_104249.jpg 20170516_110751.jpg 20170516_120526.jpg

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They'll run pretty good with those pistons. Intake timing is a big more than I want.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have to find somebody that will do it the guy i was using went under.
I will ask some of the machine shops
I'm not going to invest in all the machinery lol

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They'll run pretty good with those pistons. Intake timing is a big more than I want.
Good i was wondering it's a big difference in those pistons so far so good.
Need to weigh them felt a big difference in hand.

Poleman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_0999.JPG IMG_0998.JPG

Just modded the "Holy Grail", a carb I know something about!!!
Also too another run at the shipped carb and changed a couple things from how it was running and telling me what it was needing.
I'm tied up tomorrow, snow predicted for Thursday so probably no updates on these two until the weekend.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 70183 View attachment 70184

Just modded the "Holy Grail", a carb I know something about!!!
Also too another run at the shipped carb and changed a couple things from how it was running and telling me what it was needing.
I'm tied up tomorrow, snow predicted for Thursday so probably no updates on these two until the weekend.
Thanks for all your input what kind of carb is that one.
It's 90 here no fun cutting weather lol
I numbered the saws hard to remember what i did to each one 1 and 4 are mahle cylinders 50mm
2 and 3 huztl big bores 52mm
1 is my favorite I've run the piss out of it curious to see if it will hold up it's a higher rever now and had the most run time on the bearings i just left the original wrist pin bearing in to see what happens lol1494978699343-252272724.jpg

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what kind of carb is that one.

That's the Zama C3M twin jet. Notice there is a brass jet on each side of the welch plug. One jet is for the idle/transition circuit and the other jet adds additional fuel to the low speed circuit at about 1/4 throttle.