346XP OE 45 CC developed hard starting problem

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@paragonbuilder Dan you can see I used the Anaerobic Permatex sealant plenty of it relying on sandwich of base to case to push and seal anaerobic. Nice that it doesn't firm up you can work with it and then squeeze it to cure.

Hope this saw is good to go for a while. If crank seals somehow show to be the problem (doubt it based on the way she was behaving) then I'll have to tear it down again. But given the new muffler / bolts / cylinder it should be easy to take all apart again if the case needs to be cracked (bearings are fine, so if seals are bad they could be replaced w/o cracking the case perhaps).

This we a great learning experience. I was more familiar with with the 51/55 chassis and now I see how this setup works.
Next up will be assembly of a 365 and I need to rebuild my HDA-87 on my 262.

Hopefully I can test this saw tomorrow after work.

Cheers guys.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used the Anaerobic Permatex sealant plenty of it relying on sandwich of base to case to push and seal anaerobic

Good luck with it Eric. Generally works real well as long as surfaces are very, very clean. I generally lightly sand, then use brake cleaner (as instructed by Randy).

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good luck with it Eric. Generally works real well as long as surfaces are very, very clean. I generally lightly sand, then use brake cleaner (as instructed by Randy).

Thanks Mike.

I cleaned the base well -- had solvent on a rag wiped it clean. Also the anaerobic sealant I used will fill any gaps etc. from what I read.
The cylinder was brand new -- so at least that didn't need to have old gasket scraped off etc.

As a precaution I used crevice kit for the vacuum to vacuum out any debris that may have gotten into the crankcase.
Vacuumed around base well too to get rid of heavy crap and keep it out of the crankcase.

We shall see what happens -- excited to give the saw a try tomorrow.

Bummed you won't make the CT GTG -- hope to see you at NY GTG!

See ya Mike.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looked like you used some clear tubing for the impluse to the carb. Not sure it's characteristics. Usually see heavy black tubing there.
Wondering who would notice LOL. I didn't get a new impulse line so I made one from the clear line that came with the carb. Same type of line that is on my kids 45 cc scooters. So at least that is now a new line also. Seems like tough stuff and goes on the fittings nice.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A little searching and I found my answer -- based on this post over on AS:

https://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/346xp-build-first-post.310243/#post-6314451

I can simply plug the extra inlet that the carb has for primer. In looking at all of the knockoff EL42 Zama's on ebay and such some are pictured with no primer bulb inlet. If I had noticed I probably would have tried to get one w/o the primer. Being this is an OE saw chassis, there are no provisions for the primer.

I've got plenty of extra clear tubing that came with the carb (the carb came with two lines, bulb, and even a fuel filter) the extra line is coming in very handy -- constructed the impulse line and now I can do like the post above describes and put a 0.5 inch piece of line on, fold in half to close it, and zip tie it shut. I may instead find a finish nail (one made of brass would be ideal since fuel tubes are brass) where nail diameter is slightly larger than the ID of the tube, cut a 1/4" piece, slide tube over the brass, zip tie to keep the plug in the tube. Install tube over the carb inlet.

If I come up with something slick I'll share here.

Tonight I'll probably fold over some line and zip tie like above so I can at least test the saw.

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
537 18 00-01 Cap

537 32 09-01 Clamp

The early 357 had an auto decomp that was failure prone, to remedy the situation Husqvarna said to replace the setup with a cylinder plug and started producing a "Cap and Clip" to plug the barb on the cylinder. Might be worth a try?

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
537 18 00-01 Cap

537 32 09-01 Clamp

The early 357 had an auto decomp that was failure prone, to remedy the situation Husqvarna said to replace the setup with a cylinder plug and started producing a "Cap and Clip" to plug the barb on the cylinder. Might be worth a try?

Hey Joe -- this is IDEAL!

Can I buy these from you? Be happy to give you some business -- I know it's not much but I'll include a tip :) If so PM what you need and I'll send some PayPal, include your paypal e-mail and I'll send Friends/family to avoid fees.
I'll probably order a few of each so I have some on hand.

Anyone doing a 346 OE to NE update including an NE style carb w/ OE tank + bracketry for the carb will find these to little gems very nice to have and fix it up proper.

Cheers.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got some fresh 32:1 Klotz techniplate mixed up tonight and set her up 1 1/4 turn out on each needle and just a little throttle adjustment and shes rippin. Carb settings right out of the gate are close to where it needs to be. Need to run a tank or two through it to seat the ring and then I'll re-check compression. But I think were starting at 160 PSI or so.
The obligatory piss rev vid -- I made like 3 small cuts with it and that's it. Need daylight and a decent chunk of wood to sink it into. We'll likely be doing some tree work this weekend so this saw can go back into service! Very happy with the results so far. Oh -- and I folded over a piece of the the old fuel line to make a plug for now for where the primer/purge bulb would connect. If the cap and clamp setup that Joe has will fit properly that will be my permanent solution. Sweet!

IMG_20180305_193657000.jpg IMG_20180305_193706746.jpg IMG_20180305_194414807.jpg

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@paragonbuilder Dan not sure if you've seen this thread yet but the anaerobic gasket seal worked fantastic. Thanks for the help and thank you @huskyboy for the reminder on where to set the circlip ears. I finally got some hemostats and man does that make many things much easier when working on saws -- pulling fuel line through a tank, getting into small places etc. I took the time finally sort through all of my spare Husky and Stihl parts (remember @RI Chevy we have an MS200T that is a favorite!) and bin them so I'm much better organized now. Next up will be a rebuild of the HDA87 carb on my 262 so that saw is GTG ready. No guarantees but after that I'll try and dust off the dyno electronics.

Cheers guys. I'll try and remember to post an update when I try out the cap and clamp for the extra carb tube and after a tank or two I'll see where compression ends up. Hope this thread is useful for someone's future 346 project.

If anyone is interested I may offer up the 45 CC OEM cylinder for cheap -- need to drill out the broken exhaust bolt and some minor transfer cleanup and it should be a good runner for anyone who wants to keep a 346 OE a true 346 OE. I think if you add a meteor piston it could be a nice topend for someone. If there's interest let me know -- pictures are earlier in the thread. Even the old piston probably OK with a new ring. The hot spot wasn't too bad IMHO.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did a cold start test tonight -- pulled choke, popped on second pull. Pushed choke in, started and running on high idle on next pull. Holding tune perfect and warm restart on one pull. Done! Like a brand new saw like it should be.

Time to go find this hungry saw some wood!

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Couple videos from breakin yesterday. Got about 2 tanks through. Set pig rich at 12500 and it holds that tune with a nice hard 4 cycle at WOT.

I brought the saw home so I can check compression. Will try to get another tank through and then tune it and check compression.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s great Eric!!
Sound strong, perfect for wood for breaking in, but that looks like ported 262 material there... [emoji33]
That 346 held her own though!!
Mornin Dan!

Haha... Yup. Who might I know that has a bunch of ported 262s. Hmmmm???

I'm so itching to do the muffler mod for the 346. I told a buddy of mine from work who is into welding after cutting off deflector and making a bigger hole a deflector has to be welded on. He is pretty gung ho on helping with that part. I have no way to weld so I may take him up on it. He's a gearhead used to own a body shop. Skilled at painting and welding.

Up early. Daylight getting started soon. Need to find something to get a 3rd tank through. Maybe I'll go see if the guys are boiling sap today at the sugarshack. Bunch of wood there I can do a little cutting.