346xp cylinder question

hellomyles

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Someone cleaned that cylinder up quick and added a meteor. A few points:

That’s a loss of plating. See the coarse scrathes in the plating below the Ex floor? That will eat up a piston skirt fast. The coarse Nikasil will grind the aluminum down. If you look at your piston, it’s already starting to. Look at the fine scratches on the skirt.

You can run that jug. You’ll need to sand it with a finer grit. I’d personally get a scotchbrite drum and use it. First, wrap it in the new 320 grit 3M clear backed wetordry sand paper. Go in a direction that will keep it wrapped. WD40 in the cylinder, then hone it with the 320, moving up and down. When you’re done, wash and dry, WD40 again, then home with the scotchbrite drum itself. I find that purple is a good start, then finishing with the fine grey.

I’m not that familiar with the model, but I bet the ring/crown of the piston is above that area at BDC. It won’t affect compression at all, and there is enough plating on the sides of it to support the skirt and/or ring.

If the finish above the Ex roof stays intact after the above, I’d use it.

Post some pics when you are done.

Sounds good! Thanks for the advice/instructions!
I’ll take pics when I get to it and post them up.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I just took a pick and ran it over the spot and it’s definitely a low spot where the problem area is. Looks like the nikisil is gone. And it’s down to he casting. Do you think that it will cause an issue with time? Probably better to replace the cylinder...
If you need/want porting practice, use this cylinder. Doesn't matter if it eats the piston, it may run a long time. A new oem cylinder comes with a new piston, so go for it. Used cylinders are out there but hard to find. If going new oem, get the 50cc top-end.

hellomyles

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you need/want porting practice, use this cylinder. Doesn't matter if it eats the piston, it may run a long time. A new oem cylinder comes with a new piston, so go for it. Used cylinders are out there but hard to find. If going new oem, get the 50cc top-end.

Yeah I am decent at my port work! Definitely have plenty to learn but the saws I have done, run pretty well. I started with my 385xp and 372xp and I didn’t ruin them. Hahahaha!! But yeah I am gonna port and run this and hope for the best. If not, I’ll through a bunch more money into my saws. Lol. I have my brand new 395xp to start porting too! I need to get going on these things. Stackin up!
349259f507372239301520a348eb89a0.jpg
7ac0cdebb49d9b3767d6ba7ff5e2dac5.jpg
617407966f778561e40e4809ed27b890.jpg
3e7560b5eb0bb8f862b55df95134e6cb.jpg
dbc31915356e3ae240c6f94d4c60f952.jpg

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get what everyone is saying...All I can add is... if I had bought that saw from anywhere, besides an auction, (where you pays yer money and takes yer chances) I would be having a tantrum.

Feck, I ride around in airplanes. In my book, stuff should be right. Very, very right.

hellomyles

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I get what everyone is saying...All I can add is... if I had bought that saw from anywhere, besides an auction, (where you pays yer money and takes yer chances) I would be having a tantrum.

Feck, I ride around in airplanes. In my book, stuff should be right. Very, very right.

It’s a 12 year old saw. And they don’t make them anymore. Anything used is a gamble. I see it as I bought it as is. So if it has an issue, I am up for fixing it. Not a big deal. If someone sold it to me saying it’s perfect and never had a problem then I would be a little irritated. But still it’s a used saw. You win some and you loose some. I have only bought a couple saws used because I like knowing the history. But again they don’t make the 346xp anymore so it’s a gamble.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And that is a mighty clean looking example of an OE! Well worth investing a little money and effort into. Makes you wonder why a saw that clean needed a piston job... Bad intake clamp issue?? I don't recall, did the OE have the cursed plastic intake clamp that the 357 and 359 did?

hellomyles

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
And that is a mighty clean looking example of an OE! Well worth investing a little money and effort into. Makes you wonder why a saw that clean needed a piston job... Bad intake clamp issue?? I don't recall, did the OE have the cursed plastic intake clamp that the 357 and 359 did?

Yeah it’s super clean. Not sure what the failure was. It does have the plastic boot clamp, it’s it’s still soft and pliable. I just got done checking the port timing and took the base gasket out and checked the squish.
23f56290cd9e072139861ed3454adc92.jpg
79a10177a148d8154d875cdbaae289fa.jpg
6899f086805a95244fc6cf5091ca4d46.jpg
baa0f01a876913385ac9a0102a6a9ba9.jpg

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That jug would probably run OK dividing it's time with the other saws you own. Wouldn't put it in a heavy/commercial use situation though. But if you really want a nice 346 in your collection then that saw is worth a new top end @ $110. Like you said, it's not a saw that is made anymore.

Saw building economics can be funny sometimes. As saw geeks we all have more saws than a normal person needs. And infected with CAD, we all keep getting more. But if money is an issue then the question really might be "Do I need another saw?" rather than making compromises on the cylinder during the rebuild.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That jug would probably run OK dividing it's time with the other saws you own. Wouldn't put it in a heavy/commercial use situation though. But if you really want a nice 346 in your collection then that saw is worth a new top end @ $110. Like you said, it's not a saw that is made anymore.

Saw building economics can be funny sometimes. As saw geeks we all have more saws than a normal person needs. And infected with CAD, we all keep getting more. But if money is an issue then the question really might be "Do I need another saw?" rather than making compromises on the cylinder during the rebuild.
Bob, it's Good to see the top end price still that low. I might order an extra.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bob, it's Good to see the top end price still that low. I might order an extra.

Agreed! I just picked up a scored OE myself. I'm hoping just a piston will get me back in business, but at $110, a brandy new NE top end is very tempting... Should probably order one either way as a backup.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agreed! I just picked up a scored OE myself. I'm hoping just a piston will get me back in business, but at $110, a brandy new NE top end is very tempting... Should probably order one either way as a backup.
I ordered 3 or 4 when the priced dropped. I'm down to one on the shelf. One day Husky will stop offering them, so I'll get a few more while the gettin is good.