High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

346NE vs 254XP vs 55CP...Sibling Rivalry. Results are in!!!!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
254, year 87, OEM jug, thin ring piston, 0,4mm gasket, 020" squish, pretty much close to stock with a 0,5mm gasket, but those jugs had a very little compression chamber......
View attachment 114172

I like them just as much as I like 262's....maybe a tad more also.
View attachment 114173

Except those 4, there is two other Mahle out there, and one KS with decomp:
View attachment 114174
The one who gives this insane compression is stamped the same as the one left bottom, 86.

But they all have heater switches on them so that "evens" the playing field. Lol

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great info as usual Tor thanks for sharing! I’ll have to look back in my 254 build thread, pretty sure it has a Mahle cylinder but I don’t know what stamp it has. I tried no gasket in it but as I expected it was a head slapper so no go. If I can’t find good enough pics of the cylinder I’ll take a look at my Saw tomorrow. I do know that it pumps up to about 175psi. That is if my memory serves me...usually doesn’t lol
175 psi sounds correct.
If you sand the squish band and use a thinner gasket you may end around 190 psi, a few years since I did my 2001 model that way.
A 154 jug is probleby also a high compression jug ;) as my 86 jug is

But they all have heater switches on them so that "evens" the playing field. Lol
I've never figured out what those switches do, me think it's kill switch II :D

Well I don’t have the high compression cylinder. Mine does bear marks similar to those found on a 55 closed port cylinder. Any known reason for that @Tor R ?
This pic was taken during initial tear down for rebuild
View attachment 114178
mahle 45 ZN7 was used in 92-95, something like that, think there is one with decomp and one without.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
1:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
175 psi sounds correct.
If you sand the squish band and use a thinner gasket you may end around 190 psi, a few years since I did my 2001 model that way.
A 154 jug is probleby also a high compression jug ;) as my 86 jug is

I've never figured out what those switches do, me think it's kill switch II :D

mahle 45 ZN7 was used in 92-95, something like that, think there is one with decomp and one without.
Yes sir mine has a decomp on it and it is a 92’ model. I wonder if the W2 and W3 are what differentiate between the decomp options.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir mine has a decomp on it and it is a 92’ model. I wonder if the W2 and W3 are what differentiate between the decomp options.
that can very well be the difference between W2 and 3, or there are a slighly timing difference.

On them 242 Mahles we had this non W, then W2, and the 98 jug was W3 I think, small differences but they was there when I really started to fine study them, it was the transfer ports.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that can very well be the difference between W2 and 3, or there are a slighly timing difference.

On them 242 Mahles we had this non W, then W2, and the 98 jug was W3 I think, small differences but they was there when I really started to fine study them, it was the transfer ports.
Now I wanna take my Saw apart and get timing details and such so we can continue this discussion. But I have to leave it together for the showdown...lol. Aw hell, maybe I’ll pull he top end to inspect it, only takes 4 minutes on a 2-series

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like unless you are going to take one loop and switch between both saws squair filed is just abother variable to deal with. Id saw the cain should be either round machine ground or new off the roll chain. Oh and be sure to switch opperators during the test/race it would makr it a little interesting.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel like unless you are going to take one loop and switch between both saws squair filed is just abother variable to deal with. Id saw the cain should be either round machine ground or new off the roll chain. Oh and be sure to switch opperators during the test/race it would makr it a little interesting.
I won’t be making a special chain for this, I was just ribbing Joe a little. We intend to use the same cutting equipment. We’ll also do a head to head race

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re getting hammered pretty hard with snow. It’s supposed to keep snowing through Saturday now.
In the time it took me to snow blow another 2” fell where I started, about an hour. Man is it some heavy crap. Looks like I might loose my birch tree:(
46BE484B-60E8-4428-8957-5B8100DA02A3.jpeg

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We’re getting hammered pretty hard with snow. It’s supposed to keep snowing through Saturday now.
In the time it took me to snow blow another 2” fell where I started, about an hour. Man is it some heavy crap. Looks like I might loose my birch tree:(
View attachment 114255
We are getting blasted with high winds right now. I swear we just had a 60+ gust. No trees down yet. Good luck with the birch.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 114255
Place a 2x4 on the trunk. Smack the trunk with a sledge or make a bat from a smaller tree. If it unloads it may come back some but will likely stay wilted looking

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Place a 2x4 on the trunk. Smack the trunk with a sledge or make a bat from a smaller tree. If it unloads it may come back some but will likely stay wilted looking
I tried, this snow wont let go. It wasn’t even falling off from snow blower discharge hitting it.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We are getting blasted with high winds right now. I swear we just had a 60+ gust. No trees down yet. Good luck with the birch.
I hope the wind doesn’t come up the way it was supposed to. The trees are loaded bad and are already breaking, widespread power outages. Joe has been plowing since 3AM this morning and he’s still out as far as I know. We’ve gotten no less than 20” since midnight. Been a long day of moving snow for all of us.