346 porting (first time)

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
5:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got my BIL's 346 right now. He said it was losing power every time he used it. It doesn't have much time on it. So he bought an aftermarket jug and put it on but can't get it running. When I got it the intake was crooked with an 1/8" space on one side so no wonder it wouldn't start. I had him bring the oem jug and piston and they are perfect! Saw was running pretty rich is all.

So before I put it back together I'd like to do a little porting on it. No machine work but open up intake and exhaust a little.
Any recommendations or things to watch for on this saw? It's my first time and not my saw so I don't want to get crazy. Just make a stronger saw for him.

TIA
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SixGun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 346 doesn't need much grinding on the ports to make a great saw. Be sure to leave at least 2mm between port sides and piston skirt. Try not to raise or lower the ports on your first time around, spend more time polishing the exhaust port than grinding it and be sure to port match muffler , heat shield and gasket.
Check your squish and see if you can remove base gasket or replace with thinner gasket if necessary to maintain a squish of 15 to 20 thou.
Remove carb limiters and open muffler . I usually add an extra 1/2'' port to this size saw .
Hope this helps a little. good luck
Paul

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 346 doesn't need much grinding on the ports to make a great saw. Be sure to leave at least 2mm between port sides and piston skirt. Try not to raise or lower the ports on your first time around, spend more time polishing the exhaust port than grinding it and be sure to port match muffler , heat shield and gasket.
Check your squish and see if you can remove base gasket or replace with thinner gasket if necessary to maintain a squish of 15 to 20 thou.
Remove carb limiters and open muffler . I usually add an extra 1/2'' port to this size saw .
Hope this helps a little. good luck
Paul
Great info thanks!
I already checked squish,
.017 with no sealant, so gasket delete it is. I also removed the limiters already.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He screwed up putting a AM jug on it! Put the oem jug back on it.
Yup. I already set it aside. Maybe I'll come across a 350 I can use it on. I don't even need to clean it up. It's in perfect condition! I'll get some pics soon.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
simple mod, open original muffler port, pull gasket,raise transfer 30-40 thou. make sure they are equal port open side to side. you don't have to touch the bottom of the transfers, you don't have to widen or adjust the I and E. May not be a blue ribbon saw but will firewood well.

david

Stihlbro

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
simple mod, open original muffler port, pull gasket,raise transfer 30-40 thou. make sure they are equal port open side to side. you don't have to touch the bottom of the transfers, you don't have to widen or adjust the I and E. May not be a blue ribbon saw but will firewood well.

david

What he said. ^^^^

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Joey how many 346's are hiding in your garage now?

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just picked up some porting tools.
8765297ccd46609d5cab59dfe5618b42.jpg

Recipe for disaster?