300 hr maintenance JD X304

Blackgreyhounds

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So today I had to replace the original mower deck belt on my 2007 JD X304. It just so happened the hour meter was reading 299.9 when the belt broke, so I did almost all the 300 hr maintenance as well: change engine oil and filter, replace air filter, replace fuel filter, greased all zerks, and remove a dead, cooked mouse and nest from the engine compartment. I have to say, this tractor has definitely earned its keep here on the ranch. We have used it very hard for mowing, but also for hauling lots of heavy stuff around, i.e. firewood, dirt, gravel, feed bags, etc. in the 17p cart, and I have been absolutely reliable. Until today and the mower belt, I haven't done anything except routine maintenance, and one could argue 10 years is more than a fair run on a mower belt. Our only complaint would be the bagger attachment for the mower. It was terrible. We ditched it and went to a mulching set up a few years ago and never looked back.

BTW, does anyone here know what they mean by "Check / adjust valve clearance" or valve lash??? The owner's manual just says "refer to dealer."20180612_194844.jpg

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
10:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Biggest thing on them when checking valve lash is making sure that it's not on the decomp built into the cam. I always would check lash on the "stock" mower engines at 1/4 crankshaft turn past top dead center to be sure it was off it.