High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

3 Stihl tools, same story

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
5:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
He has an MS 180, those come from stihl with a non adjustable carb. A walbro wt 215 is the carb you want. There are a couple little things needed to make it work, but the saw will run much better.
Could still be pig rich on the high side no ?
Completely agree on the 215 wt. and a cheap Chicom swap is an option

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s hard telling, but the stock carbs usually are lacking in fuel on the low. And they ALL bog at some time or another. The only adjustment is the idle

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For 017/MS180, SOP for me is to replace the original carb with a China made copy. Both jets are adjustable. [emoji108]

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Like everything Stihl, even finding basics (fuel/air filters, plugs) is a challenge. They won't provide a parts list so unless you obsessively record the part numbers (and can find them again) you're back to Googling any time you want a replacement. They also don't reply to emailed questions. From Amazon I have about a 50% success rate of aftermarket parts fitting: I have a quart ziplock full of new fuel filters that don't fit the Stihl fuel lines and another with air filters that are the wrong shape. Obviously I have to get organized and write things down for each tool once I find a part that does fit . . .

On the KM and the blower I did try tinkering with the adjustment screws. Nothing conclusive and they still wouldn't run high. I used these instructions more or less, translated to non-chainsaws:

Anyway, I'm on vacation (term used loosely) this week and wanted to blow the driveway to get ready for new gravel, string trim about a quarter-acre of weeds, and cut down two trees. I wouldn't say that's especially ambitious for a guy with all the right tools! All tools were working fine a week earlier as I said. But just when I needed them they crapped out. Experience with the dealer tells me it will take 2 weeks for anything.

So I gave up last night and tried some MIB I had sitting in the garage for emergencies. It was either that or the rental store. I have to report that I don't think "No MIB doesn't work" is the right answer. After idling the tools for awhile with MIB in the fuel last night then letting them sit overnight, all three tools are revving up superbly this morning. I used the blower for an hour this morning and it sounds like new and it got even better as I worked.

Maybe the TruFuel was the problem, not sure. I'll consider switching to fresh REC-90 and one of the premium oils suggested above. Which is almost unworkable logistically because mixing less than a gallon is dicey but a gallon is too much for a homeowner type like me to use in a month.

Last edited:

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Stay away from true fuel its junk as well as still ultra 2 stroke oil. Get wa wa non ethonal and echo red guard or echo power blend or amsoil saber at 50 to 1 and run that were in FL are you located in near Disney area

Echo Red Guard fuel? Not finding it. Do you mean Echo Red Armor Fuel or Echo Power Fuel (not clear on what the difference is)? I really have issues with mixing fuel myself.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No it's oil at home depot it has a squeeze thing you squeeze to line add it to a 1 gallon can of gas

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Mixixing fuel is easy. Mix 1 gallon at a time at 2 to 3.6 oz to a gallon depending on oil manufacture

AlfA01

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
11:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4 - 6 years old? I'd start by replacing the in-tank filters. Then go to all the other stuff. Filters are highly overlooked in troubleshooting and cause folks a lot of headaches.

Let us know what happened with them.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
4:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
4 - 6 years old? I'd start by replacing the in-tank filters. Then go to all the other stuff. Filters are highly overlooked in troubleshooting and cause folks a lot of headaches.

Let us know what happened with them.

And filters can be problematic brand new out of the box too.