High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

3 Stihl tools, same story

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
6:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
On 3 Stihl tools, a BG55 blower, a MS180C chainsaw, and a KM55R Kombimotor, I removed the spark arrestor screens within the last 6 months or so to stop problems with the tools bogging down and refusing to rev up to operating speed. Seemed like a quick fix but now all are experiencing the same problem without the screens. Is it likely that removing the screens caused something else to carbon up? Seems like more than coincidence. What should I check now? Air filters are clean.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
5:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were the screens carboned up when you removed them originally? Did you retune them ?

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What fuel mix are you using?

How old are these units?

ray benson

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is it possible that the fuel is kept in an old plastic can or a plastic milk jug?

Last edited:

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nope, nope fuel is TruFuel 50:1 no ethanol, always used fairly quickly and kept in original metal containers. Since they're all using the same fuel purchases I thought of that too, but I can't think of a way to test it except that I have a new supply now. Yes the screens were carboned up when removed. The first one removed (on the KM) was taken off by a dealer service dept.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I guess you mean did I re-adjust the carbs? No.

They're all 4-6 years old. Used occasionally.

The metering diaphragm gets stiff over time and gets harder and harder for it to flex to let fuel in. Richen the L and H screws until it runs properly again. If this does the trick you should be good for a while. If not, the carburetors will have to be serviced and the diaphragms replaced.
This is quite common and normal especially with today's fuel.

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Weirdly enough I started the KM this afternoon and it ran like a champ. The only thing different was it was filled with new fuel last week, ran very badly, then sat a week. No adjustments. I'll be trying the chainsaw and blower tomorrow.

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So the other two tools did not improve with the wait-and-see approach. I was kind of hoping that running new good fuel thru would help the problem.

Let me ask you a question about the diaphragm replacement. Is this likely to be much cheaper/easier than just replacing the entire carburators? It's not like cost is no consideration, but I've replaced carbs on other tools and the (generic) replacements cost less than $20 if I remember right.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So the other two tools did not improve with the wait-and-see approach. I was kind of hoping that running new good fuel thru would help the problem.

Let me ask you a question about the diaphragm replacement. Is this likely to be much cheaper/easier than just replacing the entire carburators? It's not like cost is no consideration, but I've replaced carbs on other tools and the (generic) replacements cost less than $20 if I remember right.

Check what the dealer wants for a carb first. I was working on a Stihl fs75 and the kit was $15 and a new carb was $25.

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I just learned from PartsTree that they're not allowed to sell Stihl parts and supposedly generic parts don't exist (although I see some are available on Amazon).

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just wanted to add that the tools all start and idle reasonably well. Does that change anything about the diagnosis?

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Unfortunately, apparently in an effort to make repairs as difficult for their customers as possible, Stihl doesn't even publish parts lists. I'm wondering now if a dealer will even sell me parts? If not, is there an unofficial way to get parts lists for these tools?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes your dealer should be able to get you parts. And I see you are in south Florida. @Cracker Boy is some where down their too. And could possibly help in parts finding.

Cracker Boy

Fl cracker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Were in Florida are you I replaced a carb on a ms180 that was 23 bucks and a carb kit was like 15 bucks so I bought whole carb. Stay away from true fuel its junk as well as still ultra 2 stroke oil. Get wa wa non ethonal and echo red guard or echo power blend or amsoil saber at 50 to 1 and run that were in FL are you located in near Disney area

Liazard

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, I would also go for the whole carbs at those prices.

Not near Disney, I'm in West Palm (33406). Why? I don't remember seeing any of those brands in stores altho I imagine the Echo fuels are available at my local Stihl/Echo dealer.

Any thoughts on Mechanic in a Bottle? Any chance it would loosen things up? The KM is still doing OK, the other two (chainsaw and blower) still won't rev up to anywhere near max.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, I would also go for the whole carbs at those prices.

Not near Disney, I'm in West Palm (33406). Why? I don't remember seeing any of those brands in stores altho I imagine the Echo fuels are available at my local Stihl/Echo dealer.

Any thoughts on Mechanic in a Bottle? Any chance it would loosen things up? The KM is still doing OK, the other two (chainsaw and blower) still won't rev up to anywhere near max.

The problem sounds like stuff got stiff in the carb. Some snake oil might work but a rebuild or replacement carb is in your future.

angelo c

Coal Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What have you attempted tuning wise ?
Have you tried simple repairs like changing spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter ?
Fuel lines ?
Tried to run the saw on its side with the fuel cap loose ? (Vent check?)
Believe it or not....stuff ages....unlike me who is just as young as I ever was.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
He has an MS 180, those come from stihl with a non adjustable carb. A walbro wt 215 is the carb you want. There are a couple little things needed to make it work, but the saw will run much better.